Rev War Military, and Rare Blacksmith token!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today is my 15th anniversary for finding my first old coins detecting , and we did an anniversary hunt and damn was it a hunt! We started back where I had dug the early military from last post and did ok there, then walked to the middle of the next field and found a little more, walked to the bottom and found more, crossed the river and found a little site where Rev War pewters were flying... and then even one final new site which gave up quite a few small buttons and each a large copper, but little else.

The day was great. 10 large coppers, Large Rev War era Navy officer button, 4 RPs, and a crude anchor that I have no idea about, and is not in the books... but sure gives the impression of Continental Navy!

So I get home and am looking over the coppers, and cleaning what I can, and see one that catches my attention and think..... hmmm... is that what I think it might be... well probably not. I even set it aside and forget about it for 20 minutes looking at everything else.... but the 2nd time it got my attention I grabbed my book and immediately turned to the Blacksmith section and bam! What a way to celebrate my 15th Anniversary of finding my first old coins by finding my first blacksmith token! She is not beautiful, but I have been waiting most of those 15 years to get one and strange this happened to be the day. And it's a fairly rare one too! :headbang:

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 200
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 200
  • z14.jpg
    z14.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 193
  • w4.jpg
    w4.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 187
  • w4a.jpg
    w4a.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 200
  • z12.jpg
    z12.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 205
  • w6.jpg
    w6.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Upvote 27
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blacksmiths never look good, as evidenced by no nice looking ones in books.
I see the price is rising nicely on that one, checked my first edition token cat. says 350.oo in F. that was 1988.
You guys having a good fall season.

Yeah it's identifiable and is green, but not chunks of corrosion so is good in my books.

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An incredible run you guys are on, huge congrats ;-)

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is very unique. I am guessing 1700's colonial?
Do tell what is a blacksmith token and the history...never heard of anything like that.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Banner for the Blacksmith Token! The buttons are great finds as well, but that token is killer!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG IP! Love the token! Happy Anniv!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner for the Blacksmith Token! The buttons are great finds as well, but that token is killer!

Appreciate it, but pretty sure these fly too much under the radar to have a chance.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW! what a great pile of rounds! That's a very cool hunt, sounds like there can be much more to come from there as well.
I think I remember what it was like to find so many things, I'd forget one to look at others.. hehe.
No, now I can't remember how it feels at all. Waah!
Nice finds, WTG and keep em coming.
I'm stuck remodeling my kitchen after a leak causing mold!
As soon as it's done, I'm back out there. Thanks for peaking my interest until I can.
Congrats.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy anniversary. What a find!! Congrats! You scored!!!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
IP, do you know what the known population of those blacksmith tokens is? I don't recall any others having been posted.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I loved the blacksmith token link. Never knew of them but being as they were, I have wish more made it back down to the states. Stellar find.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice digs, the black smith tokens are hard to find, well done.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP, do you know what the known population of those blacksmith tokens is? I don't recall any others having been posted.

I don't know the exact population of the one IP posted, and internet info is sparse, but to give you some perspective, in a 2007 cat. many say "EXTREMELY RARE". In the case of one with a windmill on it says "fewer than 10 known" (pic. included). So bottom line is they are all pretty rare, and don't often show up even in the auction cats.

IMG_1679.JPG

In my first edition cat. many say "photo not available"

I'm thinking banner as the first one posted in my recollection, but it's not pretty :laughing7: . voted.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonder how many are have been dug and have been blown off as worn out tokens. Detecting with a couple of guys one time in a small town and the owner of a neighbouring home came out and showed us a spot where a little blacksmith shop sat. He told us that the blacksmith had produced tokens also and this information was somehow passed down through the family. We looked around the corner of the two properties but the iron just overwhelmed the machines.
What's neat is that the wide variety of tokens that we have had in circulation, and it makes for interesting finds as this one by IP. It deserves the recognition for the rarity as they're rarer than gold it seems.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Freaking blown away!!! :o:o:o Not even mentioning the "regular" coppers tells you how insane this hunt is!!! From the Rev. War R.P. buttons to the Navy button, and the EXTREMELY scarce blacksmith token... this is the hunt a colonial relic hunter dreams of!!!

... dare I say banner?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My best guess is about 6 to 8 known. It appears the book starts pricing them at 5 known and the value for this one, which is quite high, I think suggests under 10.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread