Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out for a few hours at an old favorite site. Didn't dig too many targets, but was actually more than expected and me of all people actually found something.

The Loyalist Royal Provincials button was nice to see, but confirmation when I got home that my chunk of lead was indeed a Spanish 1 real casting mold is what made the day. Strangely it's for a type of real that for some reason we don't dig here, and that just adds a little more cool factor to the find.

262qt6w.jpg

domi41.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 19

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it the casting mould was for making counterfeit coins :dontknow: yet to find a pewter button for some reason.

SS

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it the casting mould was for making counterfeit coins :dontknow: yet to find a pewter button for some reason.

SS

Yes, it was to make counterfeit 1 real coins.... ones probably made of pewter.

dig those low hits!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it was to make counterfeit 1 real coins.... ones probably made of pewter.

dig those low hits!
Quite a rare find then I don't recall seeing one posted before. glad you are getting out :thumbsup:

SS

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the possibility it was also for making a Real button, if not coin is good/better/best! Great find BTW

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the possibility it was also for making a Real button, if not coin is good/better/best! Great find BTW

yeah that's true. Never seen a button like that found here so it didn't come to mind. If I had to bet I think I probably would lean more toward button mould for some reason. Who knows.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah that's true. Never seen a button like that found here so it didn't come to mind. If I had to bet I think I probably would lean more toward button mould for some reason. Who knows.
Real coin button, that would be a new one on me, seen plenty of roman type....but not impossible, that would be cool.

SS

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find IP. Very cool. Certainly not something that turns up every day. :weee:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real coin button, that would be a new one on me, seen plenty of roman type....but not impossible, that would be cool.

SS

The majority that exist are only based on the design but there is some that are cast and fairly similar. It's impossible to say exactly what they were up to with this one.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SS

I have three of them, one is pewter, but not in this photo, will look and post when I find the pic.

When the "coin" buttons are not exactly like the coin they are imitating they are known as "Fascimile" buttons as Iron Patch stated they are usually similar but not always an exact match. I believe a Spanish coin button or two have been posted this year by a couple friends of mine, they might have been the real coins turned into buttons, not sure without going thru the archives. :)

Attachments

• Spanish Coin Buttons.jpg
    Spanish Coin Buttons.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 1744cufflinkobv.jpg
    1744cufflinkobv.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The majority that exist are only based on the design but there is some that are cast and fairly similar. It's impossible to say exactly what they were up to with this one.
But it makes sence, you would only need one side of the impression of the coin, to make a coin button, unless you go out and find the reverse side of the mould :laughing7:

SS

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three of them, one is pewter, but not in this photo, will look and post when I find the pic.

This was a Loyalist site so someone could have easily brought it back from your way. My gut does lean towards being for buttons.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the first I have seen, thanks for posting it Don.

SS

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave it to you!!!!Happy-Happy my friend!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you don't get out much but when you do...dayam!

Did those come from I site I've hunted?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Hey nice finds!

Even those old beat sites aren't totally beat but the finds only get thinner but the quality doesn't seem to suffer that much. It's kinda too bad that a few trips to them with nothing to show keeps us away for some reason. Now you know it only takes one decent target to redeem that

Anyone else get anything worth mentioning?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread