What's new

Reverse Hunting (Excals)

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2010
Messages
323
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Location
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reverse Hunting (Excal's)

So after checking out vids, as per Oldebeechnut, I am wondering,,, Are all you guys using the reverse hunting method? I guess this is for Excal owners, as this is new to me.
Arid.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Reverse Hunting (Excal's)

I think it slows me down so I reserve the technique for special situations. If I am in an area that is producing deep old targets like coins and sinkers then I will first hunt the area out in discriminate and then hit it again in pinpoint to see if I can get any more deep targets that were not detected in the discriminate mode. For normal everyday detecting I think it slows me down too much. I could be moving my search coil over a gold ring instead of messing with all that iron.
 
Re: Reverse Hunting (Excal's)

John is right, you have to determine at one point in the hunt if Reverse hunting is best for the beach you are on at that moment. This comes in time. Here is one step even above the reverse hunting, even though it was a penny this time it could be a treasure next.

Best to start out with the factory settings when starting with the new Excalibur's, learn your machine and the Beach's you will be hunting...then move on to different metholds..........HH......................Joe
 
Re: Reverse Hunting (Excal's)

Joe is right...........It is best to start out with it in Disc and save time by not digging hairpins and other iron and move on to using all metal if targets are scarce. I think all that switching back and forth between Disc and Pinpoint just wastes your time. You may as well carry a PI on your back for changing over to the other deeper targets. It all comes down to the beach you are searching.
 
Re: Reverse Hunting (Excal's)

Usually the times that I hunt in pinpoint is when I am finding no targets in descrimination, AND I am NOT getting any nulls from iron. If the Excal isn't nulling on the beaches I hunt it tells me it is sanded in and I need the extra depth of reverse hunting..........If I am getting nulls and no targets I usually keep hunting in discrimination.............If a beach is trashy your wasting valuable time digging trash in my opinion...
 
Re: Reverse Hunting (Excal's)

Well I am a new Excalibur owner. So I have to learn the machine first. I have only found .34 wit it the first time I was out with it. It seamd like I was gettig a lot of false signals with it. PlusI was having a ard time pinpointing withte 10" coil. So now I am making a new scoop bigger then te one that I have now. Hoping this will help me find my target quicker....Matt
 
Re: Reverse Hunting (Excal's)

If your falsing a lot your sensitivity is set to high, turn it down till it is stable, don't be afraid to adjust the sensitivity.

On pinpointing, when you find a target, if you slowly move coil back towards your feet, till you loose the target tone, target will be immediately off the toe of coil, works the same on the heel of coil. Bury a quarter and practice this at home, it works...
 
Re: Reverse Hunting (Excal's)

Thank you all for your time and answers, Looks like I will be hanging around this section a lot.
Now off to the shed to see what I can turn over at the swap meet for some cash!
Arid.
 
Re: Reverse Hunting (Excal's)

Mlayers...Video Pinpointing with the 10 inch coil...

 
Re: Reverse Hunting (Excal's)

Sandman said:
Joe is right...........It is best to start out with it in Disc and save time by not digging hairpins and other iron and move on to using all metal if targets are scarce. I think all that switching back and forth between Disc and Pinpoint just wastes your time. You may as well carry a PI on your back for changing over to the other deeper targets. It all comes down to the beach you are searching.
I tend to agree with this, although a new and slightly radical idea for me. My hunting time is very limited so I will give it a go. It's important to read the conditions when you're at the beach! HH, OD ;)
 
Re: Reverse Hunting (Excal's)

sandman said....... "You may as well carry a PI on your back for changing over to the other deeper targets." hmmmmm :sign13: :laughing7:
i do it witth my cz20 and my excal... IF!!!!! there isnt much iron!!!!!!!!!!! too many signal checks that turn out to be iron takes to much time.
 
Re: Reverse Hunting (Excal's)

mlayers - As you know I too just got the Exacl. I;ve been using the technique T-Hunter explained for PP and it works good. I can hit it pretty regular without switching to PP after a couple of days. Going off the heel of the coil works best for me.

Good luck
 
Re: Reverse Hunting (Excal's)

Reverse discrimination? :icon_thumleft: I haven't heard that term since I used a Garrett ADS as my water machine and beach machine. Didn't think you could do it with a modern computerized machine but I guess anything is possible. I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I turned 60 last month and developed bursitis in my right shoulder. Digging dimes at 18 inches is deep enough for me, I'll leave the deeper stuff for you young kids. ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom