What's new

Rifle Butt Plate

WawaDuane

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2013
Messages
393
Reaction score
1,624
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this butt plate in an area where I have found 4 others of varying design. This one has the mark "WJ" on the inside. I can give exact measurements if needed. This area has a fur trade history back to the early 1700's. Any info would be greatly appreciated.



IMG_4319.webp

IMG_4322.webp


IMG_4321.webp
 
Beats me.
If you beat me with a stick and made me guess...
It could be a N.W. type trade gun in the early part of the period when screws replaced pins/nails. Or ,a builder was creative with a Chiefs grade or something.
Five screws to secure it......I have not seen such. Have seen 6 nails in butt of plate and one in tang.

Great recovery regardless!
 
Upvote 0
Beats me.
If you beat me with a stick and made me guess...
It could be a N.W. type trade gun in the early part of the period when screws replaced pins/nails. Or ,a builder was creative with a Chiefs grade or something.
Five screws to secure it......I have not seen such. Have seen 6 nails in butt of plate and one in tang.

Great recovery regardless!

Interesting that you say NW Trade gun as NW & HBC both had posts in semi-close proximity....thanks.
 
Upvote 0
Trade gun type butt plate
 
Upvote 0
Another great buckle lister. Congrats
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom