What's new

Rileyboy said, “It’s out there – go get it.” And I did! (With Photographs)

Half-Hound

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
There are two stories in this post.

Yesterday, 27 October, 2010: I called a bank that has been very productive before and asked for half-dollar coins. See http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=347687.0 The girl immediately said we have $50 worth. I stopped on the way home from work to pick them up. This is a rough neighborhood. As I turned the last corner to the bank, I saw the security guard carving on a palm tree in front of the bank with a cheap imitation of a Buck Model 110 Folding Hunter (if you know what that is). I avoided eye contact and went inside. WOW! Two rolls were SOLID SILVER. Forty-two keepers total.
The contents:

Walking Liberty Half 1946S

Ben Franklin Halves
1951, 1951S, 1951D, 1952D (3), 1953S, 1954, 1954S, 1954D (2), 1958D, 1959D (2), 1960D (2), 1962D (2), 1963D (2)

Kennedy Halves
1964 (15), 1964D (2), 1965, 1966, 1967, 1969D

Yes, this was someone’s collection.

I also got an unopened roll of haves that shows uncirculated clad Bicentennial coins on each end. Is this a machine roll that coincidentally has not-at-all uncommon coins showing on each end, or could this be an original U.S. Mint roll of new Bicentennial coins? Does anyone have any suggestions? I know I could weigh it (90% silver = 12.5 g, 40% silver =11.5g and clad =11.3g.) If it is an original roll of Bicentennial coins from the U.S. Mint I don’t want to open it.

Saturday, 23 October, 2010: I searched a box of dimes and found my first ever Mercury dime. My 3 previous boxes of dimes had been SKUNKS. Is this a 1940 Roosevelt dime or a worn date on the coin? I thought Roosevelt dimes were first minted in 1946.

Thanks for sharing my finds.

Half-Hound
 

Attachments

  • N1.webp
    N1.webp
    173.6 KB · Views: 638
  • N2.webp
    N2.webp
    118.6 KB · Views: 611
  • N3.webp
    N3.webp
    205.9 KB · Views: 626
  • N4.webp
    N4.webp
    152.7 KB · Views: 616
  • N5.webp
    N5.webp
    36.1 KB · Views: 620
  • N6.webp
    N6.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 615
  • N7.webp
    N7.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 618
Upvote 0
Congrats on some great finds. Rosies were first minted in 1946 as you said. The Rosie on the right is probably a 1949D with the lower half of the 9 worn away. Great job! :icon_thumleft:
 
Yep, that's a 49. Congrats on the finds!
 
Half Hound,
Told ya!!!!...Great score and thanks for mentioning me for "keeping you at it'!
It's out there...just have to be patient and persistent! Excellent photos!
Thanks,
rileyboy
 
The perfect day ! You will most likely never have another like it. WOW :headbang:
 
Wow! What a score :thumbsup: :thumbsup: The photos,well I had to break out a napkin to stop the drool.
HH
Rich
 
Those are some very purty pics! Great Haul. Yep, Rileyboy knows his stuff!

HSH,
apush :read2:
 
LOL, amazing score Half-Hound -- we are all drooling like a dog looking at those pictures!!! :laughing7:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:
 
good scores.

However, when typing in 'quotes' the wording has to be exact. A quick glance at the other post and you'll find he says, "It's out there" but doesn't say 'go get it,' he says "keep at it"

just thought I'd point out the obvious.
 
Excellent Score! :headbang:
 
Dear Phrostie, I may not have quoted Rileyboy correctly 100%. I also don't tell my wife everything 100% correctly either. I read that two things start to happen to people as they get older. The first one is they start forgetting things. The second one is... well, I can't remember the second one right now. But thanks for reading my story Phrostie, and thanks again to Rileyboy.

I would type more, but I'm hot on the trail of more treasure!

Half-Hound
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom