What's new

✅ SOLVED River Find Help

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
420
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this item. I know it's made of lead. Quarter is for size reference. Didn't know if it was a handmade sinker or decoy sinker. Have never seen anyone duck hunt this area. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and happy hunting.
 

Attachments

  • image-4257470512.webp
    image-4257470512.webp
    73.3 KB · Views: 148
  • image-2283652581.webp
    image-2283652581.webp
    50.5 KB · Views: 115
Kind of looks like a homemade (or very beat up) decoy weight to me. :dontknow: My uncle used to go duck hunting off the bay. It ended his life at an early age unforunately.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks diggummup. Sorry about your uncle. I think it is a decoy weight.
 
Upvote 0
Kind of looks like a homemade (or very beat up) decoy weight to me. :dontknow: My uncle used to go duck hunting off the bay. It ended his life at an early age unforunately.
What happened?
 
Upvote 0
I was young at the time, he was only about 6-7 years older than I. From what I remember, he and 2 of his friends went out to do some hunting from a duck blind in a small jon boat, in early Nov. back in '73. A winter storm came up and pulled them out into the bay, all 3 died from exposure. There was a half assed Coast Guard search, but they didn't start the search till the day after they were reported missing (no night searches back then I guess??). Then, they only searched for the one day. They were found 3 days later about 100 miles away on the other side of the bay by a passing vessel. The three of them were all huddled together. One boy shivered so hard the he literally bit a hole through his lip. It was a terrible tragedy. If this had happened nowadays, they more than likely would have been found.
 
Upvote 0
Very tragic. They would have been saved in a few hours in todays technology.
 
Upvote 0
I was young at the time, he was only about 6-7 years older than I. From what I remember, he and 2 of his friends went out to do some hunting from a duck blind in a small jon boat, in early Nov. back in '73. A winter storm came up and pulled them out into the bay, all 3 died from exposure. There was a half assed Coast Guard search, but they didn't start the search till the day after they were reported missing (no night searches back then I guess??). Then, they only searched for the one day. They were found 3 days later about 100 miles away on the other side of the bay by a passing vessel. The three of them were all huddled together. One boy shivered so hard the he literally bit a hole through his lip. It was a terrible tragedy. If this had happened nowadays, they more than likely would have been found.
Terrible story. I remember your father was killed a few years earlier in Vietnam right?. What bay was this? In Florida? Chokoloski? They should certainly have resumed the search the next day.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom