Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knows of some sort of a remote controlled device that would be able to go for about 20 miles or more on 1 charge. This device would need to have a camera attached to it so you can see where it's going. Kinda like a cheap version of the Mars lander. Maybe you can use it for deep cave exploration or places you would like to go but can't ( due to physical restaints or whatever ). If anyone has a idea or can possibly build one I for one would like to here about it..

PLL

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Why not attach your camera to an RC dune buggy and joystick it anywhere you want it to go. siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area I want to go would require something smaller, maybe 1/2 the size of a small quad or smaller. It would also have to be able to pick up things off the ground. These pieces would be small but relatively light. No more than 10-20lbs.

PLL

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might have to call NASA for something like that!

I think something with that range would be cost prohibitive to build. Might be cheaper to buy a new 4X4 and put a few tanks of gas in it.
Here is a idea. There used to be a show on tv called "Robot Wars". These guys would build robots and battle in an arena. Some were college grads from MIT.
Try searching the net for "Robotics" and see what you can find. There might be someone up to the challenge.

HH
Steve

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
A machine to cover that distance would be expensive and unless the surface was flat would be hard to maneuver. A remote wouldn't likely transmite/ receive at much more then 1/2 mile underground. Hate to be a pessimist but you best have a fat wallet and a profit at the end of the run. Call me old fashioned but my answer would be a Man afoot with a cell phone or walkie talkie.Preferable would be a wire and a long cloth tube feeding air.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what if you wanted to use it above ground and in soft terrain and only go about 10 miles out ???

PLL

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
A treasure hunter on site named Gollum built something along the lines of what you are describeing. He showed it as I recall in a couple of his posts. I dont believe it had a pick-up and carry arm though. Try treasure leads or treasure legends for his posts...{Treasure canyon is ,blue flame}

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys think this would work ??

totalthr.jpg

PLL

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Peg,

Don't know of any RC transmitter / receiver (affordable) that would cover that distance reliably. I've had a couple of RC cars that were marginally workable. The one I was really hoping would work was a tank. Only problem the tracks didn't have enough traction.

Try looking at Hobby Lobby to see if you can find something useable. You could also try some of the RC plane sites / clubs. Might find someone that can build a rig to order. Knew a guy in Huntington Beach that made a living off building planes for guys with the bucks that wanted to fly but didn't want to spend the time to build a plane. Haven't talked to him for years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread