What's new

Rock identification???

Edgychris

Full Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2020
Messages
211
Reaction score
382
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pilgrim Rock
Detector(s) used
Please reccommend in private message
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello. Found a rock today that stood out lol. It is a much lighter green in person. Herea is a pic. Is this granite??
Always appreciate all your input. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • 20200201_154958.webp
    20200201_154958.webp
    189.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 20200201_154946.webp
    20200201_154946.webp
    231.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200201_154953.webp
    20200201_154953.webp
    192.8 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0
Also this orange rock. Has some holes like a sponge. Dense and heavy. Definitly not i

Red rock. Dense and semi porous surface. Not clay Any ideas???
 

Attachments

  • 20200201_160330.webp
    20200201_160330.webp
    449.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200201_160328.webp
    20200201_160328.webp
    208.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200201_160317.webp
    20200201_160317.webp
    197.8 KB · Views: 78
I don't think it's granite but maybe slate.

Definitly not slate. Do not like the pics as it does not capture the green pitique. Its green green.
 
Last edited:
Pic
 

Attachments

  • 20200201_161223.webp
    20200201_161223.webp
    242.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 20200201_161300.webp
    20200201_161300.webp
    148.4 KB · Views: 72
Are they hard or soft. Last looks like ochre but it would be soft.
 
Are t
hey hard or soft. Last looks like ochre but it would be soft.

Hard but that orange one leaves streakes of orange almost like chalk if rubbed on other??
 
Yes orange is softer than other but still tinks on glass table
 
I looked up orche. Its def that. Is that natural??
 
Its like chalk

Yes ita def that take a peek.
 

Attachments

  • 20200201_174744.webp
    20200201_174744.webp
    201 KB · Views: 66
Ochre

Ochre
 

Attachments

  • 20200201_181543.webp
    20200201_181543.webp
    239.1 KB · Views: 85
To me, it looks like petrified wood. What region did you find it? Here in ND, I find all sorts of variations of petrified wood, depending on what the wood was sitting in. I have found grey cement like petrified wood, agatized, and even a small piece of opalized wood. It gets rounded if its super old and was in a waterway.
 
I know but its like 2 kilos. Heres a side view
 

Attachments

  • 20200201_154958.webp
    20200201_154958.webp
    189.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200201_184133.webp
    20200201_184133.webp
    215.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20200201_184138.webp
    20200201_184138.webp
    232.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
2 kikos

Heres side viewm tobheavy to be stone. Region is North East Coast. Thx.
 

Attachments

  • 20200201_184133.webp
    20200201_184133.webp
    215.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200201_184138.webp
    20200201_184138.webp
    232.6 KB · Views: 65
North east coast weighs 2 kilos. Side view
 

Attachments

  • 20200201_184138.webp
    20200201_184138.webp
    232.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200201_184133.webp
    20200201_184133.webp
    215.6 KB · Views: 55
I’m guessing a type of soft shale (water-logged?). -and the other-a water worn piece of brick-clay?
 
Last edited:
Oh yeah, that totes looks like wood, you can see the wood grain on the side angle.

The cementized petrified wood I have found is super heavy.

I vote petrified wood 8-)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom