What's new

Rock or pottery

garwoodboy

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2019
Messages
32
Reaction score
33
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this thing in a wash out In northern Michigan
Is it pottery or a rock image-2020-03-27-23:08:21-278.webp
 
From way back here, it looks like a piece of sheet rock ( actually, I expanded it, and you have a really high res camera there, by the way ).
 
Upvote 0
It could be pottery, just get some close ups, please.
 
Upvote 0
Without actually being able to handle it, I'd go out on a limb and say that it's a pottery fragment.
Difficult to date without seeing it though. :icon_scratch:

As Kray mentioned, great camera resolution!
It must take forever when you try to email or upload your own pics. :laughing7:
Dave
 

Attachments

  • image-2020-03-27-23 08 21-278-crop.webp
    image-2020-03-27-23 08 21-278-crop.webp
    104 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0
That’s for the compliments on my camera
Here are a few close ones image-2020-03-28-13:05:57-952.webp
 
Upvote 0
My property has a interesting history there were loggers here way back in the 1700s but there was a farm started here in the 1830s and the farm was shut down in the 1910s so if it is a piece of pottery how old would it be
 
Upvote 0
My property has a interesting history there were loggers here way back in the 1700s but there was a farm started here in the 1830s and the farm was shut down in the 1910s so if it is a piece of pottery how old would it be

Now this is just a guess...
But based on the colour of the glaze, the roughness of the clay (as opposed to porcelain) and the thickness of the body, I'm thinking it's common everyday use pottery from the mid-19thc. :thumbsup:

I tend to pick up and analyze any pottery fragments I find when I'm detecting to determine the occupancy date of the sites I detect.
I'll post a couple of pics below of what my 'average' site finds look like. :laughing7:

As I mentioned earlier, without actually being able to handle your fragment this is just a ballpark guess.
Dave
 

Attachments

  • WP_20170521_07_18_54_Pro (2).webp
    WP_20170521_07_18_54_Pro (2).webp
    155.6 KB · Views: 69
  • WP_20170429_06_52_28_Pro (2).webp
    WP_20170429_06_52_28_Pro (2).webp
    161.3 KB · Views: 71
  • WP_20170806_19_21_39_Rich_LI (2).webp
    WP_20170806_19_21_39_Rich_LI (2).webp
    143.3 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom