What's new

Rock piles?

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,861
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Location
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know anything about piles of rocks in the middle of the woods? There are several of these around in the same area. Some are piled within 10-20 feet of eachother and others are 50 75 yards apart. ?

Update: Thanks for the thoughts, Since there are no mines around and gold has not been found this far East in NC I have come to the conclusion that they were cleared for farming fields although the fields must have grown over a hundred years or more. Is it worth detecting around? I hear that around the time of the great depression farmers right near here tried to grow cotton but the soil was worn out from earlier farming. I have noticed that the ground looks like plowed fields...that is you can still make out rows in some areas. Should I detect the area that could have been a field? Thanks again.
 

Attachments

  • Rock pile.webp
    Rock pile.webp
    41.5 KB · Views: 460
  • Rock pile2.webp
    Rock pile2.webp
    50.4 KB · Views: 461
maybe post this in the treasure marks n signs area... maybe some spanish gold nearby :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
That would seem the most logical, though not very sexy or exciting.
 
Upvote 0
Lots of rock piles like that around here too, the farmers would pile them up so they could plow up the land.
 
Upvote 0
Likely Guy said:
Around here hand stacked rockpiles are fairly common. Miners would stack the rocks, or tailings out of the way for mining. If this is so in this case there should be trenchwork nearby as well as a source of water.

My guess as well!
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
CRUSADER said:
romeo-1 said:
plehbah said:
How about they are rock piles from earlier field clearing for farming?

Yep!

my first thought as well

And in addition I too agree as well also. :wink:

This is probably the case but I have found rock piles in the woods that turned out to be old chimney's. Wouldn't hurt to run a detector over it.
Randy
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom