Rock tumbling questions.

Zyk

May 29, 2020
Second cornfield on the left, Indiana
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok y'all, I have watched a few videos on YouTube, I have read several thread's on here. Now i would like to hear what you have to say from your past experiences on rock tumbling and what are some of your "do's and don'ts" for the best results.

The tumbler I plan on buying is not a top of the line piece of equipment. Its just a cheap one from Harbor Freight, it will probably be as good as the rest of the things sold from there (ie.tools, compressors, paint guns, and dare i say jack stands) but they get the job done.

Now for the questions.
1. What media will i more then likely use the most of?

2. Can i put little pea sized rocks in with golfball sized rocks?

3. Rocks with sharp edges. Should i put them in the tumbler with each other?

4. Can i tumble sandstone or fossils?

Thanks in advance for the help, sorry bout all the questions!!

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd suggest a Lortone rock tumbler with two drums. As to media it depends on what your tumbling and takes some experimentation. Read up on tumbling, not just the video's. Rocks will be of similar size and hardness always but some smaller stuff can go in. And unless its petrified wood or of similar hardness no fossils. They are to soft and will just be destroyed.

Upvote 0

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
All your wildest tumbling questions answered at one place rocktumbler.com.
I use these guys and most times have 2 tumblers running 24 /7.
#1 lapidary rule, garbage in garbage out.
good luck.
Gt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll be watching this thread for ideas. About 6 years ago I got one of the Harbor Freight double barrel tumblers, So far I've only used it to clean dug coins to make them spendable again. I've not ventured into minerals or the like. What media do you use for your rock tumbling?

For coins I use pea gravel.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tumbling media is silicon carbide powder (not good for coins ;) ), or rock tumbling grit as its commonly known. It comes in various grit sizes like sandpaper. Depending on the hardness of the material being tumbled, how rough it is and its size how much grit one use's and how long it takes to polish the stones down varies.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread