Rockford, IL OLD Outdoor movie theatre tear down need to go now!!

N

neil

Hey, Anyone interested. I don't know if anyone remembers this here or not, but we are talking WAY back when. On the corner of West State STreet and Meridian Road in Rockford,IL they are tearing down. I should say, tearing down trees in the area as it has not been an outdoor theatre there since 35 or so years ago. This was an outdoor theatre. It had a concession stand, and tiny cement footings for the stand to hold the speaker that went in your window. Not many people remember it, because it was on the west side. I remember it. I don't have a land unit, I only have an underwater unit that has about a 14 inch reach. I don't feel like kneeling down all day metal detecting. Anyway. I just drove by there and drooled remembering. You can see where they dug up the concrete concession stand foundation. It is ripe and ready for picking. THere is a truck on the corner you will see it. It says, Littlefield Siding. THAT is the corner. They are building a walmart there or something. The screen you watched was close to West State Street. West state runs east and west. Meridian runs north and south. It had been all wooded for 35 plus years now. No one I know ever metal detected that area, or even remembers that was a drive in. If I remember, it was built in the 50's. My mom used to sneak us in there. Please someone go there. They are not working all day there today and the weekend, they are gone around 3 or 4 when they do work. Plenty of parking on Meridian road. The entrance where they paid was off Meridian, North of West state maybe a block. You can see the old entrance road. Well, there should be concrete where people paid. I remember, it looked just like a toll booth now days. It would have been about 100 feet or so down that road. You can't see the road much because there were trees growing all over. The road was never paved. It was all gravel and dirt.? There should be coins there, rings, anything. Lots of kids went there. It was closed about 1960 or so. Abandoned since then. Nothing left of buildings for a long time. The entrance turned to the right when you came in off Meridian, then went almost south, then it turned east towards the concession stand. Any questions, let me know. This will be gone here within two or three weeks.? They are pretty fast now days.? ?Gayle? [email protected]? ( this is my nephews name, neil. )? If you want, I can meet you there, but I don't have a land unit. I can show you where everything was. You can see it today 11/23/04 where the foundations have been broken up. What it looks like tomorrow, I don't know. Thanks giving weekend would be empty. Let me know what you find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread