Roll of Old Silver Halves, Found Monday

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
One good roll out of six, but what a roll! Wow.

Attachments

• HPIM5177 reduced.JPG
    HPIM5177 reduced.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 445
Upvote 0
I think Ill give up metal detecting and take up coin roll hunting. ;)

Fantastic! If they doesn't get your blood moving, nothing will!

Congratulations! Great find!!!

and to think.... I had to go through $25000 to find that..... Congrats! Just curious. Is that the paper roll it came in? Is there a story behind it?

Way to go!!!
That looks like the roll we all dream about, the roll that keeps us searching.

That is totally awesome!!! What a roll!!! Kudos dude!!

To All:

Thanks for your comments. All of the Walkers were from 1941-46. Two look older, being rather more worn than usual for these dates. The Franklins date from 1952-63. There are no "good" dates, as all, even those with mint marks, are considered common. More jaded individuals would scoff and note that all of these should be destined for the melt pot as junk silver, but hey, I'll take all the so-called junk silver that comes my way. Look - this roll was atypical. I haven't had this kind of luck in a dog's age. But persistence does pay off, obviously.

I forgot to mention that the paper roll you see in the photo was indeed the paper roll which contained the coins. It's obviously not that old. One can only speculate as to when the coins were rolled, and who rolled them. I remember opening a roll or two of halves last May which also contained a heavy sprinkling of Franklins and Walkers along with some clad halves. I rushed back into the bank, clamoring for more rolls, but the teller who sold me the rolls assured me that the bank had no more. "I ought to know," she said, "I rolled the coins myself." Of course, I was dying to ask her where the coins came from, but discretion overrode my impulse, and I refrained from doing so.

Post-Postscript: I should have clarified that there were no 1955 or 1956 Franklins in the roll. These two are fairly low mintage dates and are worth more than the others after 1949, especially the '55.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back