Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my last post http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/533136-couple-nice-roman-coins.html the story started.
We detected around a large Roman settlement to get what's left after years of detecting the site. We were out on a neighboring field gridding a loose pattern hoping for a hotspot somewhere between the scatter of broken roof tiles. My buddy started at one end of the field, i started where the scatter of tiles ended towards him. At one point he called over with a coin. About a minute later he had two more and i started digging coins also. We realized soon the coins were in a small stripe about 15' wide and 100' long inline with the plowmarks.
28593446nb.jpg

28593439au.jpg

We had to stop because time was running out and returned a day later to recover more coins. Till this point we had about 150 coins in the pouch and it was time to call the Archies in. Then the machine started.... Meeting on site with my Archie and their surveyor, several telephone calls, meet the landowner to get his ok for excavating, renting a small excavator, lump together a team and so on.
Today we met early in the morning in the field and started removing the first 4" of soil in the area where the most coins were found.
28593450pf.jpg

There we got another 40 or so. That was when we stopped packing them in zip lok bags one by one. :tongue3:
Then the next 4" were ground of. More coins. Every coin was GPSed now because we nearly hit plow depth. Here is a pic of the pattern of coins. You can see how they lay in a line. Count was 137 then.
28593451mn.jpg

Unfortunately coin finds started drying out.
28593455as.jpg

Next was a base grade to get a better look of the area.
28593459oo.jpg

Thats when the outlines of a burial with side laying grave goods chamber turned up. White line is the burial, yellow is the chamber and red circle is where i found the bronze bell.
28593492yz.jpg

The bell in situ.
28593573qk.jpg

After that all was recorded and what was left of the burial was recovered. Everything inside was spread by the plow a long time ago so only 1" to 2" of the bottom were still there. No bones or ash, no grave goods other than the bell were found.
Wild guess is that a leather bag was hidden at the grave and never picked up. Coins are all Barborous Tetricus I and II 271-273 AD. Count till this evening is close to 300 coins. Tomorrow we'll get some more.... Sorry for not having a pic with all coins together. All went in bags fast.... :tongue3:

Attachments

• IMG_20170305_215142.jpg
    IMG_20170305_215142.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,092
  • IMG_20170305_215745.jpg
    IMG_20170305_215745.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 813
  • IMG_20170314_14bearbeitet.jpg
    IMG_20170314_14bearbeitet.jpg
    952.3 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_20170314_141052.jpg
    IMG_20170314_141052.jpg
    906.3 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_20170304_193227.jpg
    IMG_20170304_193227.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 743
Last edited:
Upvote 142

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:hello2::headbang: No words. WOWEEEEEWOWWOWWOW

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one is going to comment on that he may of dug up a grave? :icon_scratch:??? im not expert but isnt that illegal? Or is it not since there was no bones. idk, pelase clarify this for me.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one is going to comment on that he may of dug up a grave? :icon_scratch:??? im not expert but isnt that illegal? Or is it not since there was no bones. idk, pelase clarify this for me.
Firstly if the Law is the same as the the UK, it's not illegal to dig an ancient unmarked grave by accident until human remains are found & then you have to report it. Not reporting it is illegal.

Secondly he reported it WITHOUT the discovery of human remains & the Archies did the dig & discovered the graves, not him. He did everything right & far more than most would. So pay attention before throwing around comments like that.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Firstly if the Law is the same as the the UK, it's not illegal to dig an ancient unmarked grave by accident until human remains are found & then you have to report it. Not reporting it is illegal.

Secondly he reported it WITHOUT the discovery of human remains & the Archies did the dig & discovered the graves, not him. He did everything right & far more than most would. So pay attention before throwing around comments like that.

Good post crusader. And not only is an md'r not *purposefully* digging/disturbing a "grave", (if he just unknowingly chased a beep), but I have to add: I highly doubt the person in the grave is going to miss it. I know that sounds dastardly, but ... honestly .... I don't know who's to be offended ? Even if his next of kin, 2000 yrs. ago, buried those coins in that grave, are even THEY around to "be offended" ? And.... sheesk, is there even a single place on earth where you CAN'T find a "grave" or bone of some sort on every single acre of land ? :icon_scratch: (esp. in parts of Europe where dense civilizations have been for 3000+ yrs., you're bound to find a bone ANYWHERE a farmer digs, etc....)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well spoken Cru! Nothing to add on my side. :occasion14:

Good post crusader. And not only is an md'r not *purposefully* digging/disturbing a "grave", (if he just unknowingly chased a beep), but I have to add: I highly doubt the person in the grave is going to miss it. I know that sounds dastardly, but ... honestly .... I don't know who's to be offended ? Even if his next of kin, 2000 yrs. ago, buried those coins in that grave, are even THEY around to "be offended" ? And.... sheesk, is there even a single place on earth where you CAN'T find a "grave" or bone of some sort on every single acre of land ? :icon_scratch: (esp. in parts of Europe where dense civilizations have been for 3000+ yrs., you're bound to find a bone ANYWHERE a farmer digs, etc....)

Yes Tom, you're absolutely right with your thought. This area was temporary populated since Neolithic times dating back to 5000BC and continuous since Iron Age. Several wars devasted the land, last time in 1944/45, i doubt there is a single field without human remains somewhere. Dealing with this case is unavoidable for every field hunter, may it be here in Europe or anywhere else.

@ itzyoboyandrew:
Have you ever looked at the often stunning finds the CW Hunters on here make? Did you realize where they are coming from? Why a buckle or a breast plate was lost? Please think before you speak.

Last edited:

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found this thread, very nice work!

Would like to see the bell all restored, were there any markings on the bell?
Nice to see the GPS of the coins, that way it can be brought into any mapping software.

First I have ever heard of a coin sniffing dog! :goldbar:

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, all finds are in the restoration process right now to make them ready for display. No markings on the bell and never seen Roman metalworks with makers mark. Pottery and roof tiles sometimes have a stamp of the manufacture. And the dog? To be honest, i really don't know what he was sniffing there, at least it's his hobby to follow the excavator as close as possible. :thumbsup:

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No reason to get defense, I wasnt sure on the laws in the uk and was merely asking.

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well spoken Cru! Nothing to add on my side. :occasion14:

Yes Tom, you're absolutely right with your thought. This area was temporary populated since Neolithic times dating back to 5000BC and continuous since Iron Age. Several wars devasted the land, last time in 1944/45, i doubt there is a single field without human remains somewhere. Dealing with this case is unavoidable for every field hunter, may it be here in Europe or anywhere else.

@ itzyoboyandrew:
Have you ever looked at the often stunning finds the CW Hunters on here make? Did you realize where they are coming from? Why a buckle or a breast plate was lost? Please think before you speak.

Sheesh you ask a question on here and people get triggered and think you have wrong intentions. AGAIN, i did think before i spoke, i wasnt sure on the laws there and merely asked a question/

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... and merely asked a question/

Itzyoboyandrew: To add a bit of balance here for Crusader & Westfront : Sure, you merely "asked a question". But ask yourself: What does the question IMPLY ? In other words, the way questions can be phrased, can be seen to making a statement by default/inference.

And sure, perhaps you just didn't know. But some of us groan when such seemingly innocent questions (which give implications) get thrown out there. Because often-time it merely serves to further promote the "rumor". Someone else sees your question, and ... rather than follow it through to the answer (the debunking of notion), they merely hold in their craw that "such & such is illegal". In other words: Bad news rumors are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to put to rest. And the mere asking of the question often starts/spreads the "rumor", even when not true in-the-end.

Yeah Yeah I know, you're in a catch-22. Because how were you supposed to know unless you asked ? But just sayin' : Put yourself in the shoes of those who feel like they need to defend themselves against "having disturbed graves" or having "done something illegal". So when you see a ... uh.... "gruff" answer, just get a thick skin and know it's just locker-room tought-guy talk. No one means you harm or ill-will.

Last edited:

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Itzyoboyandrew: To add a bit of balance here for Crusader & Westfront : Sure, you merely "asked a question". But ask yourself: What does the question IMPLY ? In other words, the way questions can be phrased, can be seen to making a statement by default/inference.

And sure, perhaps you just didn't know. But some of us groan when such seemingly innocent questions (which give implications) get thrown out there. Because often-time it merely serves to further promote the "rumor". Someone else sees your question, and ... rather than follow it through to the answer (the debunking of notion), they merely hold in their craw that "such & such is illegal". In other words: Bad news rumors are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to put to rest. And the mere asking of the question often starts/spreads the "rumor", even when not true in-the-end.

Yeah Yeah I know, you're in a catch-22. Because how were you supposed to know unless you asked ? But just sayin' : Put yourself in the shoes of those who feel like they need to defend themselves against "having disturbed graves" or having "done something illegal". So when you see a ... uh.... "gruff" answer, just get a thick skin and know it's just locker-room tought-guy talk. No one means you harm or ill-will.

fair enough

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But i dont want to start a debate on someone elses thread or in general. But yea my question was answered, so thank you crusader and westfront, sorry for the misunderstanding

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But i dont want to start a debate on someone elses thread or in general. But yea my question was answered, so thank you crusader and westfront, sorry for the misunderstanding

That's OK, it was just badly phased & seem less of a question than an accusation. I know Westfront & I come from the same page when it comes to honest reporting & working with the Archies, & with that comes a lot of pride which can be easily popped.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's OK, it was just badly phased & seem less of a question than an accusation. I know Westfront & I come from the same page when it comes to honest reporting & working with the Archies, & with that comes a lot of pride which can be easily popped.

Hi crusader, Are you a landowner with ancient burial sites on it ? TP

bryanleemc

Mar 31, 2013
Richland, WA
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75, Gerrett 750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most Awesome! Okay... I'm kinda new to this. When you find something like this, doesn't the gov get all the finds? Still must have been a nice heart pounding find!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a dream post for a detector in your area. What a hunt, Very well done and thank you for sharing the journey with us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread