Rons finds....in good ol Ginny Beach :) SOLVED!!! Thank You!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ron's finds....in good 'ol Ginny Beach :) SOLVED!!! Thank You!

Ron wants me to post this for him....so here goes....

Friday, Ron went out detecting abit after work and came home with this 1906 Barber Dime....I think this is his first...maybe his second...no I think his first...anyways....here's his dime. :)

And then on Saturday, him and a buddy, who just started metal detecting and loving it...went out to this area....geez, that's why Ron needs to be home when I do this....I'll have to ask him where he went again....something about the locks?? in Chesapeake ... anyways ..... he found the medallion piece .... can only read a couple of letters at the bottom and some design around the edge .... no markings ... junk jewelry.

Then he found this coin...it's driving us both nuts!!! :o

I took as close up as I could. We both looked in the 2009 Red Book...I kept looking for the Eagle on the backside... At first I thought a CAPPED BUST.... but one thing that threw me off was... I went outside today to take better pics in the sunlight (yeah, it's sunny and 78 out here!)... LOL

I DO NOT want to do anything else to this coin....it's falling apart. But in the sunlight, and my trusty magnifer, I was able to capture what looked like LETTERS on the other side, opposite the eagle. You can see the eagle pretty darn good...but the other side...can't make anything out.

I looked through that 2009 Red Book and found nothing with an eagle on the back with the other side having any letters whatsoever...so I am really stumped. Ron does not know about the letters yet....as he's at work and it's my day off and I had nothing better to do than take photos of coins! :tongue3:

Anyways...can anyone fill us in.... Ron said it came up silver on his Minelab Exp II.... I wonder... could it be a corroded game token? He said the soil he found it in was kinda' like marshy...very dark soil. The coin looks like it's been a fire...what do you think?

I know it would make Ron happy if someone could identify...oh...one more thing. When I was taking pics of the letters...in the sunlight, you could see them real well, but in the photos, you can barely see what I am talking about the V or N and E or R letter...but you can see the U and possible S letter.

I know we have lots of knowledgable folks on here....:)
Thanks so much,
Annmarie (for Ron)

Attachments

• IMG_3415b.jpg
    IMG_3415b.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 785
  • IMG_3414b.jpg
    IMG_3414b.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 788
  • IMG_3418b.jpg
    IMG_3418b.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 782
  • IMG_3417b.jpg
    IMG_3417b.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_3419b.jpg
    IMG_3419b.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_3458 1b.jpg
    IMG_3458 1b.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 765
  • IMG_3458 1c.jpg
    IMG_3458 1c.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_3460 1a.jpg
    IMG_3460 1a.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 749
  • IMG_3460 1b.jpg
    IMG_3460 1b.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 749
  • IMG_3384b.jpg
    IMG_3384b.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 754
  • Image1a.jpg
    Image1a.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_3461 1b.jpg
    IMG_3461 1b.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 744
Upvote 0
OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Re: Ron's finds....in good 'ol Ginny Beach :)

Those are nice finds, even though they are a little rough.

93vector

Feb 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro

Def. early 1800's US coin, but I don't know how large it is?? Quarter size, larger?

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

93vector said:
Def. early 1800's US coin, but I don't know how large it is?? Quarter size, larger?

Ooops...forgot that part....

It is the size of a quarter! sorry

Oh....on the link Corpsegrinder provided...if you scroll down....that looks like the eagle on the coin I have, but its the other side that has me puzzled due to the letters.

treasurenut

Oct 19, 2006
FL
Detector(s) used
White DFX, Minelab Excaliber II, Aquapulse

very nice see if you can get that coin in some electric bath and clean it off, must have been in the water awhile

Corpsegrinder

Oct 21, 2008
Magnolia AR
Detector(s) used
(2)Minelab E-Tracs, 12x10 SEF's, Sunray X-1 Probes, & an arsonal of coils. Excal 2, Tesoro Golden Sabre+

Ah yeah i didnt even think about the size. i had a seated liberty dollar not to long ago thats why that popped in my head.. just assumed it was a dollar! :D

detectorist friend of mine has a glob of coins melted just that bad. including gold in there.. like a big chunk of melted money..

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Thanks guys! By George I think you got it....looking on the side where I see letters...I don't know why...but they are there...at the bottom, I can see another shield...when comparing to a picture of a Seated Quarter...I can see things fall into place! Thanks so much! Hubby will be happy when he gets home....would be happier if he found it in better shape....I think he needs to hit that spot some more :)

Again, Thank you!
Annmarie (for Ron)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Ron's finds....in good 'ol Ginny Beach :) SOLVED!!! Thank You!

:o That's an oldie!! Great that you could get it id'd. :thumbsup: Congrats to Ron on those finds! 8)

Nana :)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Nice going Ron! Congrats on another 1st. Every little bit helps. 8) Now it's Annmarie's turn. :thumbsup:

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D

Looks like a seated quarter to me. The eagle is clear, and the shield and head of seated liberty are visible on the other side.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ron had a really nice spin here - good luck the next time

and the pictures u did are really great

hope to see u in the lane soon

max

piratesgold

Apr 29, 2008
CT
Detector(s) used
White's M6

The "letters" that you're seeing on the obverse is probably the date. It's the right location. Congrats on finding a seated coin! I hope you can clean that thing up.

Lucky

P.S. make sure you post pics of the coin after electrolysis or whatever you choose to do to clean it further.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The shield was a good sign when I say that. Clearly a shield

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Well, hubby and the boys will be camping again this weekend (Boy Scout outing) and where hubby got the Standing Liberty (not the large cent I previously said to someone..his second was found in Va Beach, not Chesapeake...silly me!), he's gonna' try for a second one! LOL...all depends on my weekend (got so much to do)...but I might join them on Sat and do some detecting myself! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread