Rough opal? Agate/chalcedony?

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for helping a beginner out! Everyone has been so kind to me as a work my way through my grandfathers amazing collection. We used to go rock hunting together in eastern Oregon, and it’s been such a treat to learn more about his stuff

I’m attaching photos of a great big piece I have had for a while now. I’m not sure what it is, but it bears resemblance to a lot of the smaller rough opal pieces I have found. Is there any way to know without cutting it open? It’s difficult to tell in the photos, but there are many spots that have that bluish pearlescent hue to them, but it is tough to say. I’m really not an experienced hound yet. :-)

Thanks again! I’m so grateful for the info!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582682675.597747.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582682701.563121.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582682716.946950.jpg

OP
OP
BridgetownTreasures

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m seeing some specimens of “Blue Mountain Jasper” which makes sense as it is likely from eastern Oregon or western Idaho - near the blue mountains.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a mix of jasper, agate and crystalline quartz. Interesting mix.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great collection he had I've been following your posts I dont know much about rocks but I'm learning as you post em. Keep em coming. Tommy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BridgetownTreasures

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
You need to hardness test it, agate is way harder than opal.

This seems to be 7 or above in hardness. I had a small piece of quartz with a decent point on it that I tested in several places - not a scratch or a mark. In fact I was worried I was dulling the point of the crystal!

Found a free rock/mineral ID event at a local rock & gem museum this weekend. I think I'll take it on over. Sure would like to get a saw into it!!

Upvote 0

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pale colored area looks like common opal, if you have access to a UV light try to see if it fluoresces green, though some chalcedony does as well.

Upvote 0

Ponchosportal

Nov 19, 2004
Primary Interest:
Other
As a hydrated silicate Opal will be less than 7. Although the greasy appearance and micro-crystalline material certainly has an opal appearance.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions