Ruby?

Eqnn

Nov 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is this? Based on my googling it looks like a variety of corundum like ruby. I have no experience in this stuff but found a box of a bunch of minerals and gems and need help ID'ing them

Red/Purple

IMG_1452.jpg IMG_1451.jpg

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
certainly could be. If you have a piece of quartz, use this piece and see if it easily scratches quartz. Also try hitting it with a long-wave UV light, it should fluoresce bright red if it's corundum var. ruby

if the hardness doesn't measure up and it doesn't fluoresce, you might need to learn how to do a specific gravity test. If you do the test report the results :)

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need a better pic in natural light. Not all corundum will flouresce, just fyi. But don't let that discourage you from trying a UV light on it. The specific gravity test would be good as stdenis jd suggests. Like I said though, I would like to see a better pic in natural light.

Upvote 0

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is a good possibility, a few of the rubies I find at Treasure Valley have a purplish tint. Find a local gem club and have them see if they can affirm what you're thinking. It would be beneficial if you could tell us where it was found and if there is a history of rubies in the area.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread