Russian battlefield

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Hey Jeff - thanks for the translation. I'd like to search those sites with Elena, too. I think she is a rather amazing young lady, who happens to have a "big, hairy pair" or according to translator -Большая, волосатая пара яичек! I don't really trust translation programs - I had one for French, so I could communicate with people my son was visiting when he was in elementary school. Made a complete hash of what I said, or as they told me - "turns good English into bad French". My great grandparents were Russian - actually VolgaDeutsch, my wife's mother's family Russian and wife's father's family Ukraine. All I remember is some of the "bad words" children aren't supposed to understand, and a little of Goldielocks and the 3 Bears!

Tourezrick

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Rick.

I have seen more then one Member here,
Come off like a 3 year old,
simply because Translators not putting words in proper place

OP
OP
nahabit

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006
Tourezrick said:
Hey Jeff - thanks for the translation. I'd like to search those sites with Elena, too. I think she is a rather amazing young lady, who happens to have a "big, hairy pair" or according to translator -Большая, волосатая пара яичек! I don't really trust translation programs - I had one for French, so I could communicate with people my son was visiting when he was in elementary school. Made a complete hash of what I said, or as they told me - "turns good English into bad French". My great grandparents were Russian - actually VolgaDeutsch, my wife's mother's family Russian and wife's father's family Ukraine. All I remember is some of the "bad words" children aren't supposed to understand, and a little of Goldielocks and the 3 Bears!

Tourezrick

Большая, волосатая пара яичек! = big(большая) hair(волосатая) pair (пара) of egs (яичек)

VolgaDeutsch from Stalingrad area?I think that yes..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nahabit said:
pair (пара) of egs (яичек)

Pair of Egs ?

You Mean "Legs" ? :D

S

sendin

Don't know how I missed this post - incredible.

Anyway, I think eggs is slang for breasts, but I could be wrong.

I took Russian language in 1991, but I have forgotten a lot since then. Forgot a lot of the Russian history I learned too. I just recently found out that one of my great-great grandparents was Russian - I knew there was a reason!

Anyway, we had the Keldish visit us from the Soviet Academy of Sciences in the summer of 1991 in Monterey, CA when I was Cheif Eng on the Pt. Lobos owned by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute. I think the Keldish was based out of Vladivostok back then. I hosted the Chief Eng of the Keldish and the Chief ROV Mechanic of the Miur subs and they came to our home for dinner one night. I will never forget it and it was one of the most enjoyable evenings of my life. I still have the gifts they gave me.

I am fascinated by the Russian culture and I really regret not keeping up with my Russian language study. I can still read some, but it is a struggle for me.

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Yes! Eggs and legs also. I think I am old enough to be her father! One can still dream at my age. I hunt at a site where the first 2 nuclear reactors are buried. No bones or ordnance but many deer with 2 heads. Soon me with 2 heads. ;D OK - Очень хороший! How many Americans know OK is Russian for VERY GOOD?

Tourezrick

Attachments

• Reactors.jpg
    Reactors.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,702
  • Reactors.jpg
    Reactors.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,686
P

PHANTOM35

VERY COOL FINDS THERE MAN, I WISH I COULD FIND SOMETHING LIKE THAT.......WTG :'(

aarremaanalla

Feb 12, 2006
Nahabit, this is some amazing post and you should do this kind of adventure again.

Those pictures where you are in the woods are so cool! I can smell the war when I see those relics and tanks.

keep it up and continue you journey in the world of metaldetecting.

Happy Hunting :)

MikeTN

Feb 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Very cool post Nahabit,please keep it come'n..And it was great talking to you today in the chat room, hope we get the chance to do so again!

Mike

Huck_Finn

May 8, 2007
rtde3 said:
Hey guys, why does the plane sitting in the marsh have nazi symbols on it if it is a American Brewster B-239? I'm sure somebody here will know. Thanks!
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/en/feature/articles/bw372lecture/

It´s reasonable to do one thing clear with Finnish Swastika and Nazi Swastika that not any misunderstaning can occur:

1. Swastika generally is centuries old Symbol of Luck.

2. Finnish air forces as well Finnish tank troops used Swastika 1918-1944. Why since 1918? Because in that time (During Finnish Civil War) Swedish Count Von Rosen donated to Finnish legal government (White troops) a plane where Von Rosen have painted a symbol of his family, Blue Swastika. After The Civil War Finland´s newborn Army used that blue swastika as symbol of Finnish Air Forces. Also Tank troops adopted that new symbol. Tank troops Swastika´s color is black.

3. How Finnish Swastika then differ from Nazi Swastika? Finnish Swastika is blue and it rest fully on its one "spike".
Nazi Swastika is black and usually in 45 degrees angle.

Source: http://www.sodatkuvina.cjb.net/hakaristi.htm

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Huck_Finn said:
rtde3 said:
Hey guys, why does the plane sitting in the marsh have nazi symbols on it if it is a American Brewster B-239? I'm sure somebody here will know. Thanks!
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/en/feature/articles/bw372lecture/

It´s reasonable to do one thing clear with Finnish Swastika and Nazi Swastika that not any misunderstaning can occur:

1. Swastika generally is centuries old Symbol of Luck.

2. Finnish air forces as well Finnish tank troops used Swastika 1918-1944. Why since 1918? Because in that time (During Finnish Civil War) Swedish Count Von Rosen donated to Finnish legal government (White troops) a plane where Von Rosen have painted a symbol of his family, Blue Swastika. After The Civil War Finland´s newborn Army used that blue swastika as symbol of Finnish Air Forces. Also Tank troops adopted that new symbol. Tank troops Swastika´s color is black.

3. How Finnish Swastika then differ from Nazi Swastika? Finnish Swastika is blue and it rest fully on its one "spike".
Nazi Swastika is black and usually in 45 degrees angle.

Source: http://www.sodatkuvina.cjb.net/hakaristi.htm
Interesting. This is however a black Nazi swastika. Probably because the Finns fought on the side of the Nazis during WWII in an attempt to defeat the Russians and regain their land. The Americans stopped selling the Finns armaments when they chose to fight the Russians.

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Something to learn about Finlands part of WWII

Jawos said:

Its interesting to read English papers from the war and how they changed their tune. The papers started by reporting how the gallant Finns were fighting the dastardly Russian Army. When Russia was invaded by Germany it was looked like a case of 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend" and the Finns became german allies and the Russians became our allies and the papers reported how our gallant Russian allies were fighting the dastardly Finns. One thing I haven't researched is why Finland, being a German ally, didn't suffer the same fate as the rest of Eastern Europe and come under Soviet rule. I get the feeling that the Western Allies regarded the Finns as a victim of circumstance. Since I'm sitting here having a Scotch, I raise my glass to the gallant troops of WWII regardless of side.

Collymore

Nov 11, 2008
Crazy finds I wish I could go to Russia and find me a nice Knights Cross.

Maybe even find a family acquiantance who fought in Russia for Waffen SS in Regiment 24 Danmark 5 SS panzerdivision Wiking, he is still over there somewhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread