What's new

Rusty Finned Thing?

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
2,872
Reaction score
6,002
Golden Thread
0
Location
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Still cleaning up from Hurricane Michael and found this. It was just under the grass, right up against the garage in two pieces. I have a feeling that I should know what this is as it has a familiar look, but I'm drawing a big blank. Any ideals out there? Must have been there since before I bought the house in February 1993. Have found a few old medicine bottles and part of a old glass syringe while cleaning the yard and filling in the large divots caused by roof parts that bombarded the yard.

There is a lip or ridge on the center section edge and if it was complete it looks like it would have attached to an axle or something.

20190228_125212.webp

20190228_125233.webp

20190228_125244.webp
 
Last edited:
Looks kinda like the insides of an air conditioning unit the whatchamacalits that do the actual cooling
 
Upvote 0
could it be from a steam heater. possible many of these mounted around a steam line to transfer the heat into the air. Never saw any designed just like this but that is what it reminds me of.
 
Upvote 0
Part of a round heatsimk(?) If so, I`m not sure for what.
 
Upvote 0
Oops! Heatsink not heatsimk...
 
Upvote 0
Strange... yet so familiar.

Not AC or "heatsink" related... would be alum or stain if so.

And not buying wire wheel although resembles it.

Thing has me perplexed. heh
 
Upvote 0
Notice the "flat" piece that has broken off.
 
Upvote 0
Busted chimney cleaning brush.
 
Upvote 0
Whats it made of ?
 
Upvote 0
Most likely the remaining inner workings of an transformator or an automotive coil.

Greets Namxat
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sorry for not getting back sooner, wife aka CINC Household is keeping me busy with hurricane repairs and cleanup.

As for what is is made of, I don't know. It's not magnetic or at least not now. My MD was one of the things that was killed in the storm.

The fins are about an 8th of an inch thick, and 1/2 inch wide, has a swept curve to them like it is meant to rotate a certain direction.

I've looked at chimney blowers/fans, HVAC blowers/fans, grinding wheels, chimney brushes etc with no luck.
 
Upvote 0
Those who say it’s part of a genset or other type of temp related coil are closest I think. Fan clutches on vehicles and other applications have parts like that in the past when things weren’t electronic.I can not think of the metal used for this but I have seen it appear like this after fire. I could be way off but my opinion is it’s a coil from a large fan or gen set. May be for heat dissipation (heatsink) as well. It is for sure not from a grinder or any tool I can think of. It’s thin and wispy because it was mounted in a way to not be disturbed and is required to be thin to conduct/shed heat quickly.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom