Rutz Clovis

RutzClovis

Greenie
Feb 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all!

I've been asked to post a thread regarding an item in my possession called the Rutz Clovis, my family is in the process of deciding what to do with the piece and we're looking for information since we've basically not a clue where to start besides some old letters from Gramly, among others. I'd also like to know what pictures to take, what notes to gather, whatever you would be interested I'm going to try to answer and hopefully in the process have the thing well documented as well (personally) as learn more about the subjects of knapping, arrowheads, and the Clovis points in particular.

Point (1) - Copy.JPG
Point (3) - Copy.JPG

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the point last weekend at the Paleoamerican Oddessy conference in Santa Fe. It is a well documented, spectacular and more importantly an authentic relic. I think it will go for $800k+.

When he first came on here I do not think anyone knew what to think. It was a gift for him to join us and share that clovis and the story. I bet it was spectacular in person. Thanks for the heads up.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Anyone else get a hardcover book from the auction house today of the auction bill featuring this point?

They must be expecting huge returns to have put out many of the mailers I just got today.

I think they are dreaming on what they expect from several of their offerings. BUT, what do I really know?

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Anyone else get a hardcover book from the auction house today of the auction bill featuring this point?

They must be expecting huge returns to have put out many of the mailers I just got today.

I think they are dreaming on what they expect from several of their offerings. BUT, what do I really know?

I didn't get the book, hmmm... must not be on the right mailing list.

It sounds like they are hoping to develop a regular auction business around arrowheads, and are trying to build up some buyers.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Looks like that is the case. It appears they are looking at auctioning all sorts of collectables. Coins, firearms, toys, and coin-op for some examples.

Maybe yours will be there tomorrow. The postmen are way busier in Fl, than S.D.

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool point but just hate people putting a price tag on something we didnt make and thats free! having a reserve starting bid i dont agree with

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Trev,
The jester stole his thorny crown...
cool point but just hate people putting a price tag on something we didnt make and thats free! having a reserve starting bid i dont agree with

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who has the money for that these days is my question. Dont get me wrong it is a great artifact but thats allot of money.

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Who has the money for that these days is my question. Dont get me wrong it is a great artifact but thats allot of money.

There's plenty of collectors around with that kind of scratch. Pieces like this attract a different kind of collector. These are literally art pieces and also significant pieces of American prehistory. This kind of thing would attract international museums as well as private collectors. There has been several pieces sold this year that have topped the 6 figure range.

For comparison, there was recently a Picasso sold to a Chinese company for $28.22 million which was more than twice the auction estimate. When you start getting international art investors and dealers involved, the sky is the limit. That number makes a couple of hundred grand look like chicken scratch.

Hippy

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Hippy is absolutely correct Rock! The Vanderbilt family are actually the people that offered my dad thousands for his Folsom point. They put these pieces on display in the biltmore house, which has art from around the world in it. Money is nothing to families like that. In all actuality it's a money making investment for such people. DuPont, Rockefeller, quit a few of these family names have scouts looking for top of the line artifacts and antiques. By the way, the Folsom never got an offer close to what the rutz did!

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Please don't sell it!!!

You should make it a family "generation to generation" tradition to put it on loan to reputable museums/universities all across the nation for all those interested to be able to see!!!

I've seen stuff like that done... The father loaned a piece for a 5 year term to a San Antonio museum, then chose another location in Oklahoma for the next 5 years, then the son loaned it to a display in DC for 5... Kinda like how the Vietnam memorial wall sections tour the country!

- You wouldn't have to pay for the secure shipping/transportation to and from the facility

- You'd get credit in the display

- It would be insured for an amount way more than the value, on their dime, in the event of a fire/theft/natural disaster

- And you'd retain ownership!!!

You sell a car, you sell a boat, you sell STUFF.
You don't sell HISTORY, or a family heirloom of this magnitude!

Just my opinion.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Already sold for $230K. More than my home value.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Already sold for $230K. More than my home value.

NOOOOO!

Haha isn't it depressing thinking that something so small, even it being a HUGE Clovis, could be worth so much?!?!

Imagine what the price of the bullet that killed Lincoln could fetch?

A quill pen used to sign the constitution?

The gavel that declared OJ Simpson INNOCENT?!?!

Haha!

stan98532

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2011
Washington State
A friend of mine called me today wondering what the Rutz Clovis sold for. He is one of the top old timers in Arrowheads, but he doesn't do computers, so I am elected. He had a concern about the Rutz Clovis, he said the material comes from Northern California. He said he didn't know how the piece got to Eastern Washington without some damage to it. I told him maybe it did and they fixed it. Anybody got any ideas?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are selling I hope you get as much as you can. That is the idea. Many asian countries with new found wealth have a passion for american artifacts. That sounds like a lot of money but in reality is very little to a collector. It will always be the "Rutz" clovis.
I am glad they shared it with us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread