What's new

Sad find, possibly an Urn tag. Trying to find name

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
107
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Found this on the beach yesterday near the waterline. I believe it is an urn tag or something of the sort. Probably lost when the persons ashes were scattered in the sea.
just an assumption of course. Could also be to commemerate something.

if it helps I found it on Sandbridge beach, Virginia.

The tag says

Caylee
Nevaeh
Vandyke
2-19-10

Tried to do a google search for the name and date but came up blank. Any help tracking down the name would be great.

Thanks
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0633.webp
    IMG_0633.webp
    69.5 KB · Views: 424
Shaped like a military dog tag, leading me to believe that's it's a ID tag from someones keys or necklace or something along those lines.

Mike
USAF Retired
 
Upvote 0
ffuries said:
Shaped like a military dog tag, leading me to believe that's it's a ID tag from someones keys or necklace or something along those lines.

Mike
USAF Retired

Could be, however why the date?
 
Upvote 0
Bramble has access to some of the ancestry websites, so she can search names.

Caylee sounds like a very modern name. Nevaeh is Heaven spelled backwards.

Breezie
 
Upvote 0
anything on the other side? i have a medic alert tag that looks just like it (engraved with any information you want). mine has a star of life on it
 
Upvote 0
DevilDog812 said:
anything on the other side? i have a medic alert tag that looks just like it (engraved with any information you want). mine has a star of life on it

no the other side is blank
 
Upvote 0
Maybe along the lines of the ones I had that had my kids date of birth and names listed on them. I use to take them with me on deployments.

Mike
USAF Retired
 
Upvote 0
I think the date is more of a birthday date because of the modern names.
 
Upvote 0
ffuries said:
Maybe along the lines of the ones I had that had my kids date of birth and names listed on them. I use to take them with me on deployments.

Mike
USAF Retired

Breezie said:
I think the date is more of a birthday date because of the modern names.

I sure hope you guys are right, Been a little creeped out by this find.
 
Upvote 0
What are the dimensions? Maybe we can compare the size of this one to Mike's real dog tags/children's name. If it is not the same size, it could be a dog tag sold/engraved by beach t-shirt shops.
 
Upvote 0
BobinSouthVA said:
I sure hope you guys are right, Been a little creeped out by this find.
I found a silver tag with a name, birth and death date 3 days apart on a Treasure Coast beach.. I never could find a family member to return it or even figure out what it was or what century. Heres my old thread "She Was Only 3 Days Old" http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,30059.0.html

In the process, I researched all kinds of cremation tags and they seem to always have the funeral home name and a number.

Heres my possible silver coffin tag (3 day old Jo-Ann L. Hall) and some crematory tags found on beaches to compare. I think yours is an ID tag. Bramblefind can probably find her.

crematory.webp
 

Attachments

  • crematory.webp
    crematory.webp
    42.5 KB · Views: 454
  • Crematory_Tag.webp
    Crematory_Tag.webp
    36.4 KB · Views: 354
  • creamatory tag pa.webp
    creamatory tag pa.webp
    7.4 KB · Views: 375
  • crematory tag.webp
    crematory tag.webp
    10.2 KB · Views: 449
  • JoAnn or To Ann.webp
    JoAnn or To Ann.webp
    64.1 KB · Views: 376
  • JoAnn or To Ann.webp
    JoAnn or To Ann.webp
    64.1 KB · Views: 346
  • crematory tag.webp
    crematory tag.webp
    10.2 KB · Views: 368
  • creamatory tag pa.webp
    creamatory tag pa.webp
    7.4 KB · Views: 365
  • Crematory_Tag.webp
    Crematory_Tag.webp
    36.4 KB · Views: 363
  • creamatory tag.webp
    creamatory tag.webp
    39.5 KB · Views: 352
Upvote 0
I found this two weeks ago under the beach near Florida's Palm Coast:


img3542m.jpg


There was little room for speculation on what this was, so I documented it, waded out as far as I could, and tossed it same.
 
Upvote 0
Being the optimist, and judging by the modern name, I think some proud Daddy had his daughter's name engraved on a dog-tag while at the beach. Those types of t-shirt/gift shops are everywhere at most large beaches. If you Google 'engraved dog tags,' you will find thousands very similar to the one shown below. I choose this one because the font is almost identical to the one we're searching.

Also, if it were an urn tag, it would have 2 dates; one for birth, one for death. If it were a crematory tag, it would have a generic number like those pictured by BCH. The date has to be a birth date because the name Nevaeh didn't even become popular or used until 1999.


Popularity of the name Nevaeh (Quoted from Wikipedia)
​
Though there were eight girls named Nevaeh in the United States in 1999, Nevaeh was an extremely rare given name before singer Sonny Sandoval of the rock group P.O.D. named his daughter Nevaeh in 2000. He was then featured in the fall of that year on the television program MTV Cribs, and use of the name became widespread.

Nevaeh first entered the top 1000 names for girls born in the United States in 2001 when its popularity shot up making it the 266th most common name, according to the US Social Security Administration.[2] In 2005 it was the 70th most popular name for girls in the United States. In 2006, Nevaeh was the 43rd most popular girls name in the US and was the 31st most popular name for girls in 2007. It fell three places in 2008 to 34th most popular name for girls in the United States. It was the third most popular name for girls born in 2008 in New Mexico, rising from fourth place in 2007. New Mexico was the state where it was most popular in 2008. Nevaeh was the fifth most popular name for black girls born in New York City in 2007. The alternate spelling Neveah also reached the top 1000 names in 2006 and was the 891st most popular name for baby girls born in the United States in 2007, though the spelling variant fell to 986th most popular name in 2008.


Breezie
 

Attachments

  • DogTags.webp
    DogTags.webp
    6.1 KB · Views: 327
Upvote 0
Hi all. :icon_thumleft:

Interesting find.

Dropping the first name in a google search one gets two hits:

Nevaeh Vandyke:

The first link seems to be "emty".

The name thou on the front page of google seems to be related to Florida.

The second thou might be some better trace:

http://www.nwkansas.com/SFHwebpages.../pdfs 2007/sfhPages_11_Nov/Week4/SF 5A-47.pdf

Look under Obituaries in the text about the late Martha Marie Severson !

:hello:
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Also, if it were an urn tag, it would have 2 dates; one for birth, one for death. If it were a crematory tag, it would have a generic number like those pictured by BCH.
Breezie, what is the difference between an urn tag and a crematory tag, in terms of use and can you post an example? Thanks this may solve my item. I never heard this before.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Breezie said:
Also, if it were an urn tag, it would have 2 dates; one for birth, one for death. If it were a crematory tag, it would have a generic number like those pictured by BCH.
Breezie, what is the difference between an urn tag and a crematory tag, in terms of use and can you post an example? Thanks this may solve my item. I never heard this before.

BCH, I'm not sure if the terminology of 'urn tag' vs. 'crematory tag' is proper or not, but this is how I think it is:
An urn tag would be a tag put on the ash container stating the person's name, birth & death date; a personal tag; one in which the family had made as as a memorial. These would be in a more fancy script, and on a tag perhaps made from silver or silverplate.

A crematory tag would be a tag made/produced by the funeral home or company that would ID the ashes; in which is more business related. These would be made in a punched type font, less fancy, and would be made of tin or brass.
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
BCH, I'm not sure if the terminology of 'urn tag' vs. 'crematory tag' is proper or not, but this is how I think it is:
An urn tag would be a tag put on the ash container stating the person's name, birth & death date; a personal tag; one in which the family had made as as a memorial. These would be in a more fancy script, and on a tag perhaps made from silver or silverplate.

A crematory tag would be a tag made/produced by the funeral home or company that would ID the ashes; in which is more business related. These would be made in a punched type font, less fancy, and would be made of tin or brass.
If this is true, you may have just solved my 6 year old find. :o Nobody mentioned this before. All I need to put the green check is a good example.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Breezie said:
BCH, I'm not sure if the terminology of 'urn tag' vs. 'crematory tag' is proper or not, but this is how I think it is:
An urn tag would be a tag put on the ash container stating the person's name, birth & death date; a personal tag; one in which the family had made as as a memorial. These would be in a more fancy script, and on a tag perhaps made from silver or silverplate.

A crematory tag would be a tag made/produced by the funeral home or company that would ID the ashes; in which is more business related. These would be made in a punched type font, less fancy, and would be made of tin or brass.
If this is true, you may have just solved my 6 year old find. :o Nobody mentioned this before. All I need to put the green check is a good example.

I think your find & pics are the best examples. The find with Jo-Ann on it would be an example of the 'urn' tag of a personal nature, requested by the family. The others you've posted are more business/company related.

The first modern-day crematorium was established in 1876 in Pennsylvania and this brought cremation to America.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom