Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was hard for me let go of a flag that my grandmaother had flown for years but, I knew just like you did with this one you take it to The American Legion or VFW! They will take care of things with the utmost respect!

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dead battery said:
mrs.oroblanco said:
Is that a 48 state flag? (looks like one).

Good job in taking care of Old Glory.

B
you know i didnt think to check :icon_scratch:

Looks like a 48 star flag. All the stars line up. On the 50, the stars don't make perfect rows and columns like that...

Thanks for doing the right thing.

At my elementary school (1960's in Texas), students raised and lowered the flag each day. We were taught how to fold it and told to never let it touch the ground. 3 students (6th graders, I believe) had flag duty each day on a rotating basis. One to carry the flag and attach it to the rope, one to haul it up the pole, and one honor guard. It was raised each morning just after classes began. Each afternoon it was lowered, folded, and returned to the school office.

DCMatt

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well if it was old now it makes me wonder about the flags story. The house was built in the 30s so who knows

GOLDandSilver

Nov 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Question:

I recently took a Flag Etiquette Quiz at another site. One of the questions concerned proper disposal of the American flag. The question was "How should you dispose of a U.S. flag that's beyond repair?"
Options were 1) Burn it 2) Shred it 3) Give it to your local government or American Legion Post to dispose of

The quiz gave the correct answer as "You should give a flag that's beyond repair to your local government or American Legion Post to dispose of." But my local government would not accept our old flag. What should I do to dispose of an old flag?

USA Flag Site Answer:

Their answer came from an incorrect interpretation of this sentence at the Federal Citizen Information Center of the U.S. General Services Administration (the GSA):

"American Legion Posts and local governments often have facilities to dispose of unserviceable flags."

While that statement is true, it's also true that they often have neither the facilities nor the knowledge. Furthermore, many municipalities have contacted USA Flag Site for what they should do with unserviceable flags. The only definitive answer is found in the US Flag Code. TITLE 4 > CHAPTER 1 > Sec. 8(k). It states:

"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning"

You can find a good copy of the entire US Flag Code at the Legal Information Institute, Cornell Law School
USA Flag Site provides the high points of American Flag etiquette in a more user friendly format on our Flag Etiquette page.

While we simply cannot respond personally to every inquiry, we'll try to add the most common questions and answers here. If you have suggestions, comments or questions for us, we'd appreciate your dropping us a note by clicking here.

If you'd like to spread the word and help others find USA Flag Site, you can link to us from your web site.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew it should be burned, but I don't think I could ever do it. It means too much to me. Monty

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have cleaned her up and mounted it on my wall in a case!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I salute you sir. :icon_salut:

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
I would have cleaned her up and mounted it on my wall in a case!
that did cross my mind but it was falling apart and smelled real bad :dontknow:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From a disabled vet. Thanks for taking care of the flag.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done. I was in the military 20+ years to protect and defend the Constitution, and that flag. Thanks for giving it a fitting and proper
handling. And, those "gentlemen" will, for sure, do the right thing by Old Glory.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed that the vast majority of people in this hobby are of good character and have old fashion
American values and common sense to boot. Thank God for our veterans, people like you and all of the
posters above. You meet the best people in this hobby.

trusty

Dec 18, 2007
Osceola County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Thank you, from another Frank.

My first real memory of the flag was seeing it on the coffin of my uncle. I never met him, or don't remember it, he was KIA in New Guinea in 1942.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread