"SAFETY FIRST" 1919 Personalized Fob/Tag?

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Hey all, Naturegirl and I have been trying to find information on this fob/tag that was dug from the yard. In particular the "Safety First" motto. We have found background info on the inscribed name. Mark Revard, which i think is same Sgt. Mark S. Revard in records. Osage alotee, WW1 vet from Pawhuska,Okla. that was assigned to the 111th Ammunition Train-36th Div. The 36th being formed from mostly Oklahoma and Texas National Guard forces and saw action in France during the conflict. What we are interested in most, Is this fob/tag military related or is it a civilian workplace safety reminder fob/tag? I'd think if it was military it would have been inscribed with rank etc... So what civilian type workplace would it possibly have come from? I have not been able to find any examples of this particular type fob/tag so any info would be appreciated.
I have posted this previously in another thread... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/finds-oklahoma/268481-1919-watch-fob.html Thanks,buckshot

Attachments

• fob tag 015.JPG
    fob tag 015.JPG
    340.9 KB · Views: 155
OP
OP
buckshot

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
taz42o, That's what we have been wondering too. Not for sure if it's decorative or an actual military insignia marking.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think you found a very early automobile club watch fob item depicting "safety first". I have seen other fobs, badges and pins emphasizing safety. The winged wheel was used by many auto clubs as well as the railroads and the Transportation Corp esp in the early 1900's.

IMO I think you have a cool example of early automobilia. If you search here in TN's archives, you may find other safety related memorabilia.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
buckshot

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
DCMatt, Thanks for your info. The design does very much resemble a WW1 Transportation Corps insignia. Do you think this fob/tag would be military issued item or a civilian made item? as there are no makers markings on the back and appears to have a more handmade look to it. Maybe a civilian made personal reminder type momento of service?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
DCMatt, Thanks for your info. The design does very much resemble a WW1 Transportation Corps insignia. Do you think this fob/tag would be military issued item or a civilian made item? as there are no makers markings on the back and appears to have a more handmade look to it. Maybe a civilian made personal reminder type momento of service?
I re-edited my post down. Its best to keep all options open but I dont see it resembling the Transportation Corps insignia unless you have found a better match in very early insignia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transportation_Corps
I dont see military but maybe a homemade sweetheart type of thing, like you suggest, because he served on an ammunition train but Im still leaning toward early auto club which makes it a great find. Keep searching. :icon_thumleft:

Did you look very closely on the backside?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I dont think its an official winged wheel logo but because its best to check out every lead you may go back on the Wiki link and try checking (click on) these early military branches for a matching insignia.

World War I
The American Expeditionary Force that deployed to France during World War I, emphasized the need for a single transportation manager. William W. Atterbury, a former railroad executive, was appointed as the Director-General of Transportation and a separate Motor Transport Corps of the National Army was established 15 August 1918. The United States Army School for Truck Drivers had been established by 9 July 1918;[SUP][3][/SUP] and the Transportation Corps of the AEF was abolished after the war,[SUP][1][/SUP] The M.T.C. subsequently conducted Transcontinental Motor Convoys in 1919 and 1920

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a winged wheel. WWI Transportation Corp emblem.

DCMatt

I think BCH is correct. This fob is more likely an auto club item than a military one. Do an internet search on "Safety First" and "Auto Club" and you'll find plenty of hits about auto clubs getting the "safety first" message out to drivers in the teens and 20's.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I wonder about the design on the bottom, I'd look into it . View attachment 625227
We think its a winged wheel or flying wheel used by auto clubs.

The railroads used it and the Transportation Corps used a different version but I dont think the military issued watch fobs..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
buckshot

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
I dont think its an official winged wheel logo but because its best to check out every lead you may go back on the Wiki link and try checking (click on) these early military branches for a matching insignia.

World War I
The American Expeditionary Force that deployed to France during World War I, emphasized the need for a single transportation manager. William W. Atterbury, a former railroad executive, was appointed as the Director-General of Transportation and a separate Motor Transport Corps of the National Army was established 15 August 1918. The United States Army School for Truck Drivers had been established by 9 July 1918;[SUP][3][/SUP] and the Transportation Corps of the AEF was abolished after the war,[SUP][1][/SUP] The M.T.C. subsequently conducted Transcontinental Motor Convoys in 1919 and 1920
Thank you very much for the info and suggestions BCH. Early automobilia does seem like a good avenue to direct some searches.

buckshot

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Your welcome. I understand that he was in RR ammo transport during the war but the war ended in 1918. Its possible that it has a RR connection but Im more inclined to think early auto club.

Those wings look odd almost like leaves. :icon_scratch:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I'm doing some research on the town of Pawhuska, Oklahoma and so far have discovered that its a pretty small place with a current population of about 3,500, and a peak population back in the 1920s of about 6,000. It appears that the biggest form of industry in the area was oil wells. I'll keep searching and be back if I find anything of interest related to the watch fob itself.

SBB

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I haven't finished researching this yet, but it appears that "Safety First" campaigns were first initiated in the United States by Railroads ... circa 1911-12

SBB

The origins of the ‘Safety First’ campaign can be found in the United States. In the early 1900s Ralph Richards, the Chicago and North Western Railroad’s (C&NWR) general claim agent, became concerned by the number of accidents within the company. As late as 1910 107 men were killed and another 9,000 were injured while at work for the company. Thus in 1905 he published a number of articles on safety issues and in 1906 these were reproduced as a book. At the same time he attempted to get the C&NWR’s management interested in a campaign that would become a fruitless endeavor until 1910. By 1912 the ‘Safety First’ campaign had become accepted amongst the management of many American railroad companies.

Footnote:

Construction of the Midland Valley Railway reached Pawhuska, Oklahoma in September 1905.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
The picture below is of Mark Revard's parents. The link will tell you more about them, including the fact that Mark died before his parents did. Mark was born in 1888 and died in 1946. I'm trying to find out who Mark worked for after he returned home from WWI, but so far I have not been able to come across that information. There are appx 50 people with the last name Revard buried in the Pawhuska, Oklahoma cemetary. More than likely the majority (if nor all) of them are related.

At this juncture I am leaning towards two possibilities regarding the 1919 watch fob ...

1. Railroad related

2. Oil industry related

SBB

Revard Family Link: Photo of Franklin & Romanzy Revard

Revard Picture.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
We have found background info on the inscribed name said:
Big Cy ~

I haven't seen enough evidence yet to support the auto club theory ... but mainly because Mark Revard's name is on the fob which I suspect is more likely something that an employer would do and not a 1919 auto club. Plus, Mark was involved with Trains in WWI and possibly made it a career. In 1919 Mark Revard would have been 31 years old. You can be certain I am keeping an open mind and totally open to suggestion.

I wonder what type of watch fob his father is wearing in the picture I posted?

SBB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
PS ~

I forgot to mention that I searched vintage Auto Club symbols until I was blue in the face ... plus I'm only about 10% convinced that the symbol even depicts wings ... they look more like flames or leaves to me ... not to mention I'm only about 20% convinced it depicts a wheel :icon_scratch:

SBB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread