"SAFETY FIRST" 1919 Personalized Fob/Tag?

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Hey all, Naturegirl and I have been trying to find information on this fob/tag that was dug from the yard. In particular the "Safety First" motto. We have found background info on the inscribed name. Mark Revard, which i think is same Sgt. Mark S. Revard in records. Osage alotee, WW1 vet from Pawhuska,Okla. that was assigned to the 111th Ammunition Train-36th Div. The 36th being formed from mostly Oklahoma and Texas National Guard forces and saw action in France during the conflict. What we are interested in most, Is this fob/tag military related or is it a civilian workplace safety reminder fob/tag? I'd think if it was military it would have been inscribed with rank etc... So what civilian type workplace would it possibly have come from? I have not been able to find any examples of this particular type fob/tag so any info would be appreciated.
I have posted this previously in another thread... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/finds-oklahoma/268481-1919-watch-fob.html Thanks,buckshot

Attachments

• fob tag 015.JPG
    fob tag 015.JPG
    340.9 KB · Views: 155

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Big Cy ~

See if you can find the earliest use of the term "Safety First" by an Automobile Club. Here's the earliest one I can find for a railroad ...

Chichago North Western ... CNW's 'Safety First' campaign began in 1910 and became a national slogan.

Thanks.

Bob

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Naturegirl ~

In that other forum thread you wrote ... reply #8

"After the war we have read he was an engineer, but we don't know what kind and think maybe now, it means train engineer."

I'd like to ask where you found that information and if you ever followed up on it?

Thanks.

Bob

~ * ~

In this thread reply #3 DCMatt said ...

"It is a winged wheel. WWI Transportation Corp emblem." Which looks like this ...

Transportation Corp Insignia.png

What Is It Fob - Safety First Closeup.png

I looked at several other Transportation Corp insignias and they all depict a ships wheel with handles.

Wikipedia link: Transportation Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm beginning to suspect the mystery symbol may be a makers mark and not directly related to the "Safety First." :dontknow:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
First line in your link. "The Transportation Corps was established 31 July 1942" There were some earlier versions but I havent searched the logos.

I havent found when "Safety First" was first used but I seem to remember it from very early auto memorabilia..

If he was an Engineer after the war, it may point toward his workplace.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I'm not trying to railroad anyone into beliving the fob is train related ... but I do think the following is worth reading and that you will enjoy it.

Link: Erie Railroad - Safety First

As the employees began to "buy in" to safety first, the movement began to show results. The safety message was reinforced with local safety committees, slogan contests, poetry and posters.

SBB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'm not trying to railroad anyone into beliving the fob is train related ... but I do think the following is worth reading and that you will enjoy it.

Link: Erie Railroad - Safety First

SBB
He may have worked for the railroad after the war but I just dont think its military.

I guess there is nothing on the backside.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter