Sailboat ender, Wars and Centavos, and Plated 64 Dime?

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I got a Canadian sailboat ender, the scan wasn't coming out so I wiped it with water and got the wrapper too wet I guess. It's a 62.
sailboat6221312.jpg

Got these war nickels from 2 boxes, 1 and 3, and the Centavos which would have been silver if it was a 59 or earlier, it sounded good at first.

nickft22013.jpg nick22013.jpg

Does anyone know what is up with this 1964 dime, plated with something? There looks like a very small mark on the back which is dull beneath. I was thinking maybe a proof at first but don't know how to tell them without the S mint mark.

dimesft22013.jpg dimes22013.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I was thinking a proof when I first found it but I don't know what to look for or how to tell with the older coins. It almost shines like a clad instead of the dull white of silver. The mark I saw is on the back almost right next to where a mint mark would be. It has a few scratches on it but I've been trying to keep it from getting any more. Thanks BB. Good luck to you and HH.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a proof next to the others. '64 and earlier proofs were minted in Philly and don't have a mintmark.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is solid information. I have a 1964 dime similar to yours in the middle, i am puzzled if it is a proof or not as well, but yours looks like a proof.
good luck in your furure searches, looks likke you've been scoring pretty well lately :) [
QUOTE=baddbluff;3184321]Looks like a proof next to the others. '64 and earlier proofs were minted in Philly and don't have a mintmark.[/QUOTE]

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Like BaddBluff said, Philly minted proofs won't have a mintmark for '64 and earlier. A secret that the graders will use to tell the Philly proofs are the presence of lint marks. The proof die was polished by hand for each striking and consequently the remnants of lint were often left behind. The lint marks do not detract from a grade as they were present when they left the Mint. It is often the only way to discern Jefferson nickel proofs from well-struck business strike specimens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions