What's new

Salt Water hunting

longislandpirate

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2011
Messages
41
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
At Pro, Fisher CZ-20, XP Deus
I have been detecting for a while now but I have the desire to hunt in the water. I have picked 3 detectors that I am considering. Can anyone who owns one of these or more give some info.

Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II

Whites surf DF

Teroso Sand Shark

Thanks everyone
 
Upvote 0
longislandpirate said:
I have been detecting for a while now but I have the desire to hunt in the water. I have picked 3 detectors that I am considering. Can anyone who owns one of these or more give some info.

Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II

Whites surf DF

Teroso Sand Shark

Thanks everyone

All good detectors, but all are PIs, just as long as you know that means you will be digging every tiny piece of iron. If your beaches are clean they are all good, if your beaches are dirty with lots of iron it could be a nightmare, digging deep holes for bobbypins ect...
 
Sea Hunter is a DEPTH MONSTER you'll do a lot of diggin,but it IS worth it!
 
I hunt Long Island with the Sand Shark. Uber-stable in the breaking surf, and exceptional sensitivity with the hardwired 8" coil. Light, easy to swing (4.5-hours at a clip), and built like a tank with a LIFETIME warranty. Built in America, by Americans, with American parts.
 

Attachments

  • itty5.webp
    itty5.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 574
I have tried both the Sand Shark and DF. I have not tried the Sea Hunter, so I can't really comment there. Between the Sand Shark and DF I would suggest the Sand Shark as it seemed lighter, easier to use, more stable threshold, killer warranty, and the least expensive of the two. Of course if you don't want to dig iron consider an Excal II.
 
Tony in FL said:
I have tried both the Sand Shark and DF. I have not tried the Sea Hunter, so I can't really comment there. Between the Sand Shark and DF I would suggest the Sand Shark as it seemed lighter, easier to use, more stable threshold, killer warranty, and the least expensive of the two. Of course if you don't want to dig iron consider an Excal II.

Both the Garrett and Sand Shark are great and I would go with the Sand Shark if you have a younger body then mine. The Dual Field has a coil that floats and it is harder to control in the water. Nice on land though but being a PI you will still dig tiny iron from deep holes.
 
I have a Whites DF and it works great, goes deep, and finds gold. Also made in the U.S.A. The coil floats, which it seems everybody complains about, but is no big problem really. It is very light on wet sand. It will find lots of hairpins also until you learn not to dig the double beep of them. I love this machine, but have not tried the others. The people above that have answered this post are all experienced in this field and give great advice. I do not think any of the detectors mentioned by you are a bad choice. So it may just come down to price,individual features of a machine, or personal preference...HH
 
Here is another opinion. I am hunting with the Sea Hunter, killer unit for depth, but the deciding factor for me was the 14 in coil available for the SH. I can cover more ground in the same amount of time which is a nice feature on large beaches. I have owned several Garrett's and the customer service is top notch no matter how long you have owned the machine. The SH hunter also does not have a floating coil problem, nor does the coil flop in the surf having to constantly be straighten out. You will get several opinions on the different models you mentioned and they are ALL good machines, I just liked the larger coil, a big plus for my style of hunting.
 
3 years on the seahunter and I like it better everytime i use it. like they say, be prepared to dig it all. I use the 8 inch coil, a 14 would beat me up.

I bought it through a company in Florida and the first coil was flukey, the second lasted 8 months, then the phones went out. It cost me about 240.00 to straighten out a machine that I thought was gonna be right. I'm just clueing you to that part of the deal.

I bought phones and a coil direct/no problemo 6 months into this season.

It's a good machine. Make sure you use silicone grease on the battery housing o ring every time you open it. Every time YOU OPEN IT.

Forget about the discrim, just go in standard and figure your machine out. I hunt at 3disc and just break threshold for sound. Dig a bunch and you'll begin to hear deep, double wahs are bobby pins and steel pieces. I don't use mine on dry sand, too much cra, uh stuff.
 
davest said:
...Dig a bunch and you'll begin to hear deep, double wahs are bobby pins and steel pieces...

Or a small Silver chain at 11" - I really thought it was another Bobbypin or fish hook! You just never know.
 
I hear a lot of guys talking about the double beep and when I hear a double beep I get excited. I use the CZ21 and of course I can ID the target but when it is a middle tone and a double beep I have found a few BIG rings. I think somehow it is catching each side of the ring or maybe hitting the center of the ring but the CZ sometimes doubles on a ring. It is a real clean double beep. (not scratchy) I know it's apples and oranges here and you guys know your machines but just thought I would share.​
 
biggmike said:
I hear a lot of guys talking about the double beep and when I hear a double beep I get excited. I use the CZ21 and of course I can ID the target but when it is a middle tone and a double beep I have found a few BIG rings. I think somehow it is catching each side of the ring or maybe hitting the center of the ring but the CZ sometimes doubles on a ring. It is a real clean double beep. (not scratchy) I know it's apples and oranges here and you guys know your machines but just thought I would share.​

Oh no. I'm with you Mike! I am a dedicated PI man, and if it beeps, I just got to see it! :laughing7: :headbang:
 
biggmike said:
I hear a lot of guys talking about the double beep and when I hear a double beep I get excited. I use the CZ21 and of course I can ID the target but when it is a middle tone and a double beep I have found a few BIG rings. I think somehow it is catching each side of the ring or maybe hitting the center of the ring but the CZ sometimes doubles on a ring. It is a real clean double beep. (not scratchy) I know it's apples and oranges here and you guys know your machines but just thought I would share.​
On my Garrett detectors I get a double beep when a target is really shallow. Not every time, but once in awhile.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom