Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PLEASE..... Take a minute and read this... then go to the site... this is COOL

PLL

SAN FRANCISCO DIGGIN'S

1965-1978

Digging in downtown San Francisco was a bottle digger's, coin and relic hunters dream come true in the mid 1960s through the late 1970s. The Great Bottle Rush in San Francisco got it's start in the Golden Gateway Redevelopment project which today is home for the Embarcadero Center. But, that was only one phase of many demolition and excavations to take place within the Yerba Buena cove extending from as far as Sacramento and Drumm Streets (Justin Herman Plaza) on and north to the foot of North Point and Kearney Streets in the Fisherman's Wharf area. The major excavations started in the areas of Drumm, Sacramento and Clay, Davis, Sansome, Front and Battery Streets.

MapSF.jpg

THE GOLDSHIP "NIANTIC"
One historic dig site that I was fortunate to have gotten on and I will never forget, though it was the last of the great "digs" during the month of May, 1978 .......

sfdig.jpg

and now for the rest of the story.....

http://members.tripod.com/~WaipahuHaole1/SanFrancisco.html

PLL

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing that Pegleglooker,

That was truly very interesting.. infact amazing, shame it had to get reburied due to highways ... more lost history, but at least they got some of it..

thanks
booty

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ah, you got the link to Warren in San Jose :) Yeah, I'm sure there were bottle diggers in the 1960s & 70s at those sites, but ...... believe it or not .... there were not many people "wise" to detecting demolition sites in those days >:( I started in the 1970s, and it was a mystery to some of us why anyone would detect under where a building had just stood. Afterall "why would there be coins UNDER a building? Who lounges around UNDER buildings?" It just never occured to us that there is a generation of history that precedes the current building standing there! Doh! Or how about sidewalk ripout detecting? I recall someone saying they had detected such & such sidewalk demo, and remember thinking: "How stupid! How could coins get UNDER a sidewalk?" Doh. I may be wrong, but I think most of the stuff going on back in the 1960s and early '70s was bottle digging. Detecting was still in it's infancy then. Man I sure wish I had a time machine though, to go back to certain projects! :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread