What's new

Sand Auger type scoop.

Finditfast

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
???
This my first post on this site.
Before I begin I would like to say HELLO to you all. With that said let me get to the point.
I actually have two questions to have answered.
1) My question is, Have any of you ever run across a Sand boreing Auger that was made specifically for digging into wet sand? I had seen one once and it works by twisting a "T" handle that is attached to the main shaft (Handle) which screws the AUGER into the sand and lifts the target out as the sand is raised up the AUGER incline. There is a strip of metal welded around the outside of the AUGER to keep the target object from falling out of the side as it is be raised up the AUGER incline. Who made this unit (Mfg. & Name/Model). Did this Auger work well? Is it still available?

2) My second question is,
Can anyone tell me the Titles of the books written by Clive James Clynick? I think that is his name and I believe he wrote a few of them. I am particularly interested in the one that primarily deals with finding gold rings in the water. I believe it is called "Water Hunting." Please correct me if I am wrong but I think this book dealt with a White's XLT detector. I was wondering if these tips could be incorporated by someone using a Beach Hunter I.D. detector?
Thank you in advance for your kind and generous help.
Sincerely yours,
Robert
 
Yes I saw that sand scoop you allude to. I believe it was called the "Sand Screw". It was made and marketed by a fellow here in CA somewhere. I got to try one, and see it used, etc... I think it was a waste of time, IMHO. It took two hands to operate, so you had to let your detector down (or have it attached to a chord where it would thus irritatingly bounce against your side). Also, the sand did not wash out of the mechanism UNLESS you were in the water. So even though they advertised it for use both in and out of the water, it was a real nuisance to use out of the water: You'd have to auger the material out, dump the spoils on the ground, and then go to conventional means (sifting with your fingers or whatever trying to pinpoint through the spoils). It would soon occur to you: "I could simply have had a sandscoop! Doh!" ::) And as for in-the-water, I believe a long-handled wrist-mounted (like a parapalegic cane) sand scoop would be better, as you don't need two hands to operate it.

Thus, I think this idea went the way of the "good ideas gone awry" graveyard.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom