What's new

Sand Scoop Help

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
1,573
Reaction score
1,104
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im looking to get my first sand scoop. I will be using it in wet sand. Is there any scoops that are better than others? Id like one that I can step on the back of it to push it in the sand and one that wont break!!! Any help is appreciated!!! And if anyone is selling a good one let me know!!
 
Upvote 0
A good scoop will out last your body. Since you are wanting one for wet sand and maybe some water use a strong stainless steel one is best. I've used many and have settled on the Sunspot Stealth which are made in two sizes.
http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

The smaller holes in front are great for holding those earring backs or studs.
 

Attachments

  • Stealth Scoops.webp
    Stealth Scoops.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,670
  • Stealth Scoops.webp
    Stealth Scoops.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,548
Sandman said:
A good scoop will out last your body. Since you are wanting one for wet sand and maybe some water use a strong stainless steel one is best. I've used many and have settled on the Sunspot Stealth which are made in two sizes.
http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

The smaller holes in front are great for holding those earring backs or studs.

As soon as I have found enough booty to pay for one of these Sunspot scoops I am going to get one! I started with a 5" Royal, I'm now using the Reilly's 6" monster. Unfortunately, the little items like beads and earring posts fall through the 1/2" holes, and I like the idea of a pointy digging nose and stainless steel! Great heads-up Sandman!
 
Soon to be, (make that 2) Diablo ti's....Very Light & Strong
 

Attachments

  • ti grade 5.webp
    ti grade 5.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 762
Terry Soloman said:
Sandman said:
A good scoop will out last your body. Since you are wanting one for wet sand and maybe some water use a strong stainless steel one is best. I've used many and have settled on the Sunspot Stealth which are made in two sizes.
http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

The smaller holes in front are great for holding those earring backs or studs.

As soon as I have found enough booty to pay for one of these Sunspot scoops I am going to get one! I started with a 5" Royal, I'm now using the Reilly's 6" monster. Unfortunately, the little items like beads and earring posts fall through the 1/2" holes, and I like the idea of a pointy digging nose and stainless steel! Great heads-up Sandman!

Terrry, I covered the bottom 1/4 of my scoop with a piece of aluminum gutter screen, I glued it on with marine epoxy at the points that were sharp, it now catches earring studs, tiny rivets ect, basically i covered the portion where it would drain last when held at the normal angle for draining....It took care of the problem your talking about...
 
Thanks for the replies. Ill look into those. The spot I have in utah probably does not have a lot of small earrings but when I go to Ventura CA for my yearly vacation im sure there are some down there!!
 
OldeBeechnut said:
Soon to be, Diablo ti....Very Light & Strong

You building it OBN? Bet the Ti sheets cost a pretty penney eh?
 
Wet Sand is tough for any scoop...

It's not bad if you can rinse with water or use the scoop and fling method.



Wet sand just plain doesn't like to sift.

Keep in mind that scoop guys are just like detector guys and just like car guys. If you are a Ford guy Chevy's suck and vice versa. There are several quality scoops available, some better suited to certain situations.

This is the scoop that I use I think it is the best at catching the small stuff, its pretty tough and its made in the USA which for me is a determining factor.

Steve :-)
 

Attachments

  • TINYWK2.webp
    TINYWK2.webp
    48.8 KB · Views: 988
  • belly of the beast resized Rev C.webp
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.webp
    113.5 KB · Views: 770
  • front quartering view F250 parked on Rev C. resized.webp
    front quartering view F250 parked on Rev C. resized.webp
    93.4 KB · Views: 806
  • front quartering view F250 parked on Rev C. resized.webp
    front quartering view F250 parked on Rev C. resized.webp
    93.4 KB · Views: 653
  • belly of the beast resized Rev C.webp
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.webp
    113.5 KB · Views: 679
  • TINYWK2.webp
    TINYWK2.webp
    48.8 KB · Views: 669
You building it OBN? Bet the Ti sheets cost a pretty penney eh?

Cost was about a 100 a sheet, 20 dollars a pound..ebay great price..Been working with a friend Greg on the design of a scoop called Diablo for over a year now, the time is near for production. My input was I wanted a scoop for when I get older..light in weight, can endure the beating of years of use and a fast drainer in any conditions, Plus a hard deep hitter..hence 13 inchs long, 6.5 wide, SS weights in a few ounces under 5lbs, Titanium is hitting around 4 lbs, and the 7075 aluminum is a killer 3 lbs/13 ozs..I used it for my day trip to OC last week, Love that scoop...Should have a couple ti scoops by late june, Sorry no pic's yet, still tied up in the patent office.......
 
Got the Ok to post these pic's of the diablo scoop...One other thing I love About this scoop, it hits deep on the first dig, and in 3 your down to 24 inchs...I've always said, the more you dig, the more the chance of losing the target in ruff waters..
 
Best of the best scoops on this thread. :icon_thumright:
 
Terrry, I covered the bottom 1/4 of my scoop with a piece of aluminum gutter screen, I glued it on with marine epoxy at the points that were sharp, it now catches earring studs, tiny rivets ect, basically i covered the portion where it would drain last when held at the normal angle for draining....It took care of the problem your talking about...
[/quote]

That, is a great heads up! Thank you!
 
Treasure-hunter:
Thanks for the tip...I'm going to do that w/my scoop...I'll bet you recover more chains also....


Mike
 
Oldbeachnut:
Any settled price on this beautiful piece of equipment? You'll get a pretty penny from me for it...looks top quality to me!!!!


Mike
 
Max:
I think I'll try back mounting my Excal...loks to be real easy on the arm.... :icon_thumright:

Mike
 
Joe, the DIABLO looks mighty fine. If it had a Miller looped handle I would change. For the saltwater though I'd want the 8" wide of the Sunspot, but then there goes the weight. :laughing7:
 
Sandman said:
Joe, the DIABLO looks mighty fine. If it had a Miller looped handle I would change. For the saltwater though I'd want the 8" wide of the Sunspot, but then there goes the weight. :laughing7:

OBN it does look nice, but like Sandman, for working in the water I would want it wider.....My Beachbrute is 8.5 inches wide, if I switched I would be losing 2 inches of the width which is about 25% of the width, for me that is to much to lose when hunting in the surf.......Are you only going to be making the one 6.5 inch model or will there be a wider model.... (8.5-10 inch)...?
 
Terry, I use the smaller Sunspot Stealth now because of the weight issue. I epoxyed two magnets just back from the small holes on the point of the Sunspot to catch those small items that sometimes get past the magnets to fall through again. See the earring stud?
 

Attachments

  • Nikon1_025.webp
    Nikon1_025.webp
    215.6 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
Thanks Sandman, and Treasure Hunter..All of us have to hookup someday for a story telling session.
 
Thank you for ALL
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom