Saturday hunt in Fayette & Clark Counties

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Saturday hunt in Fayette & Clark Counties

kindafoundabuckle and 1320 hunted together for the first time this past Saturday. Our first stop was the old Athens High School in Lexington. The only noteworthy item found after a quick 1 1/2 hour hunt was a 1944 Wheat Cent. We didn't spend much time there as we had a better place in mind, just down the road in Winchester.

Our second stop was the recently razed "Breeze Hill" Mansion. A pre-civil war home and farm, built in the 1850's. This was our first trip to this site but it was painfully obvious that others had preceded us. While not completely hunted out, the targets were few. We did squeak out the pictured 1892 O dime though. Perhaps our best find is what we believe to be a bayonet. A photo of it will be posted later today.

Even though the finds were few, the weather was good and the recently formed friendship, even better.

Jamie

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Saturday hunt in Fayette & Clark Counties

Glad to see you got some old silver! You gotta watch out for KFB. He is a Barber MAGNET!! Last two hunts we went on together he got Barber Quarters. I'm happy it went well for you guys--I was there with you and KFB in spirit. ;D The day of your hunt I teamed up with a newbie detectorist here in the city and took him to a great early house site I've had on my list for some time. We found some interesting artifacts and a coin or two, but nothing real old. I think it was a good experience for him, and the weather was nice. I remember feeling that same excitement digging wheat ear pennies when I first started. Everything was cool back then! Anyhow, I'm glad it was a good hunt for you two. Congratulations!

Buckleboy

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The bayonet 1320 found. Very nice piece. Thanks for the great time hope to do it again real soon.

T

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 277

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG guys. Kudos. It looks like ya'll had a great time. I for sure like that silver dime. The bayonet is also really cool to. what is thet thing in the top right corner of the 1st picture?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds guys.Consider yourself lucky to be hunting up there versus down here.If your ever in Scott county or want a place to hunt near Stamping Ground,PM me.I know a nice old farmhouse up off of 227 near Elkhorn creek.It dates from the early 1800's.I didn't own a detector the last time I was there years ago.Still found a couple minnie balls and a large CW era dagger while cutting tobacco over a couple seasons.Not to mention the points and spear.Oh yeah the house has a crawlspace and a root cellar too.The house is still standing.I'm still in contact with someone down the road from it.

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

Top right corner picture is of an early Water Bong in my opinion. Others have said that it's part of an oil lamp...the portion that controls the wick.....I like my thoughts much better.....hold on....I'm inhaling......be right back.......

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

Diggum...have you ever done anything harder than work burley?! Anyone that ever worked that crop either had much pride or needed the money REAL bad.

Give me the wagon any day of the week....you only handle it once and you don't have to shake it.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LMAO! :D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No kidding!!!! ;D Nothin against Kentucky Fried Barber, but I'm glad you were able to get one away from him. Was getting pretty befuddled there. Three hunts in a row: Barber Quarter, older Barber Quarter, 1778 Spanish Silver coin!!! Probably karma payin me back for diggin my buckle at his site a year ago ;)

Best Wishes,

BB (or, perhaps "Barber-Bereft")

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've been laughin for about ten straight minutes about the searchcoil jab! I guess I'd rather he be Kentucky Found Barber than Kentucky Found BUCKLE. You shoulda heard all the Barber jokes that week! I won't be able to sleep tonight I'll still be laughin so hard about visualizing that rod breakin and Tom gettin trapped under that purple monster coil! Hey Tom, you should share your new name with the DanMan. I'm sure he'd have a idea or two himself for your new name!

W

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh, and by the way Tom...don't worry about gettin trapped under that searchcoil. I'd only charge ya 25 cents to help ya get out...as long as it was dated 1898! :D

sixguns

Oct 19, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GREAT FINDS guys....still working on that Depot hunt, so keep the faith, hahahahahaha

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

BuckleBoy said:
I've been laughin for about ten straight minutes about the searchcoil jab! I guess I'd rather he be Kentucky Found Barber than Kentucky Found BUCKLE. You shoulda heard all the Barber jokes that week! I won't be able to sleep tonight I'll still be laughin so hard about visualizing that rod breakin and Tom gettin trapped under that purple monster coil! Hey Tom, you should share your new name with the DanMan. I'm sure he'd have a idea or two himself for your new name!

W

I can think of several.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1320 said:
Diggum...have you ever done anything harder than work burley?! Anyone that ever worked that crop either had much pride or needed the money REAL bad.

Give me the wagon any day of the week....you only handle it once and you don't have to shake it.
Didn't really find it that difficult, actually I kind of enjoyed it.Sure it was hard physical work,but what's wrong with that? I was fresh out of high school in top shape making a $100 a day cutting,good money 23 years ago for a kid.Course nowadays no self respecting American H.S.graduate would be caught dead working in the field huh? They are too good for that,too many other opportunities like sitting in front of a computer screen or other various non laborious types of jobs. Guess thats why Mexicans are about the only ones working the burley now,among other things.Boy how times have changed,just don't think they've changed for the better myself. :-\ We have become a nation of lazy people.Anyway sorry to go off on you,well not you in particular but you know what I mean. :) It's been a long day.Good luck on your hunts fellas.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1320 said:
Diggum, we are of the same sentiment! Go off anytime!!!! You must have been one hell of a cutter. About 1,000 sticks per day or MORE?! Man, that is just crazy. Did you ever compete in any of the cutting competitions?

Do you still have the dagger?

Jamie
Never entered any of the comps..The two guys I used to cut with were faster than me.One of 'em used to compete,a guy named Danny Griffith out of Owen county,he never won though.He could cut about 1500 sticks a day,a 10 hour day.One job that was definitely harder was putting up hay or stacking it on the wagon as it was being baled.As for the dagger,I ended up selling it one winter when I needed to eat and work was scarce to none.I sold it to an antiques shop in Georgetown,along with an aviators lighter that I found behind a mantle in an old house I lived in.I'm gonna have to go for a visit up there, next fall maybe with any luck.I was up a couple years ago but I didn't get to any of my old stomping grounds.I was with the wife and we were doing the "Worlds longest yard sale" thing.Talk to ya later,take care.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread