SB&G Co beer bottle (updated with pic) Is there such a thing as an error bottle?

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
SB&G Co beer bottle (updated with pic) Is there such a thing as an error bottle?

8 inches, dark brown bottom reads
"SB&G Co"
"23"

We found it in an old trash heap with tons of broken stems from late 1700s bottles. Is this a bottle that someone wouldn't bother taking from a pile? Just trying to figure out if it's worth digging. Pic later.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Re: SB&G Co beer bottle

Skrimpy said:
8 inches, dark brown bottom reads
"SB&G Co"
"23"

We found it in an old trash heap with tons of broken stems from late 1700s bottles. Is this a bottle that someone wouldn't bother taking from a pile? Just trying to figure out if it's worth digging. Pic later.

From: http://myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks3.html

"S.B.& G.CO.........Streator Bottle & Glass Company, Streator, IL (1881-1905). The Streator plant eventually became part of the American Bottle Company, then later Owens Bottle Company, and finally part of the Owens Illinois Glass Co. (Plant #9)."

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 29_1.jpg
    29_1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,016
  • da_1.jpg
    da_1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 2,031

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL, Good Job PBK :D

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Should we keep digging or is this a bottle that someone would have left behind after taking the spoils of the trash heap. Funny part is that it is right outside the front door of the old house. Who wants to look at a pile of rotting garbage each time they leave the house? Lol.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

S,

Heck, from what Jeff and PBK posted,
sounds like a keeper, I sure would.

Streator is a nice small town, been out
that way many times.

Looking forward for your posting of a pic.

have a good un.......

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Re: SB&G Co beer bottle pic added...Is there such a thing as an error bottle?

Here are two pics. First one is the bottle, second of the bottom. After looking at the picture, I realized that this thing has been stamped/embossed (or however they did the lettering) twice. It has the wording
"SB&G Co"
"23"
and then just underneath and to the left of each letter/number you can see a second copy of it...pretty cool...

I think I wasn't worried about whether or not this bottle was a keeper for myself (because I will most definately keep it b/c its pretty darn cool), I meant whether or not I could use it as kind of a presumptive test on the trash heap. I would assume if it were a keeper that almost definately the heap has not been dug because this bottle was within a foot of the surface. I would assume there was a slight chance that if the heap were dug the bottle was flat out missed but not likely. I would think that if the bottle were not a keeper there is a chance the pile had been dug and the bottle was left behind because it was not worth enought to carry it back to the car with an arm/bagfull of valuable bottles. Anywho...heres the pic...

Attachments

• Bottle 1.JPG
    Bottle 1.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 2,107
  • Bottle 2.JPG
    Bottle 2.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,393
OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Re: SB&G Co beer bottle (updated with pic) Is there such a thing as an error bottle?

Nobody on bottle errors?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: SB&G Co beer bottle (updated with pic) Is there such a thing as an error bottle?

S,

nice bottle.

Can see from your photo the double
image. Neat. Have never encountered
what you call "bottle errors."

I sure would spend an afternoon digging
at the site. Always fun playing in the
dirt ;D Even if someone else has dug
around in the past, never know what you
will find.

Good luck, if you go back to the site.

have a good un....

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama

Usually errors in spelling or miss placed letters don't add value to bottles because they would just keep on using the mold for production.There could be 10's of thousand of bottles with that error.

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Oh well. It's still cool. What does the number mean? I've seen them posted on the internet as being "3" 's, "8" 's etc. with no explanation of what the number means. Never seen a "23" on the internet.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Skrimpy said:
Oh well. It's still cool. What does the number mean? I've seen them posted on the internet as being "3" 's, "8" 's etc. with no explanation of what the number means. Never seen a "23" on the internet.

My Understanding the Number is the date.

I don't know if that is in All cases though.

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

I was just informed by a bottle collector at work what the whole mold number and makers marks were used for. When a bottle mold started to go bad (ie brewing companies started seeing crappy bottles), they called the bottle makers and gave them the numbers from the bottoms of the less than adequate bottles. It's all about quality control. Now that I am looking at it, that bottle looks like it says "SB & C Co". Streeter was bought by American Bottling company circa 1910 and my bottle guy says this bottle is circa 1950. Must be SB & C.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread