What's new

Scabbard Identification Requested

coolhand2

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
This find came from a camp that has been used from the 1812 period through the Civil War to the WWI era. It is made out of heavy brass. One screw is missing. Originally, I believe this drag was screwed into a brass scabbard. Ornate designs include a shield unfurled flags and a horse (?). Any help dating this would be greatly appreciated.

Paint 1.webp

paint 2.webp
 
You are exactly right about what it is--a scabbard drag. My hunch is that this piece is pre-CW, but I haven't found a match for it yet. If you get a free account and post it on the international sword forum, you'll get an answer quickly--and they will likely be able to give you a specific decade for the manufacture of the piece. They may even find an exact match for the scabbard and manufacturer. :thumbsup: Go to the top right of the page, register, and then log in by going to "enter forums." The proper forum to post this is the sub-forum of "antique and military swords" under the first heading in the forum list.

http://www.swordforum.com/

Please stay in touch and let us know what you find out. I would love to know more about this great find.


Regards,



Buckleboy
 
Upvote 0
We call the Scabbard Chapes...

I agree it looks a very early example :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom