What's new

Scapula

BeachComber7

Sr. Member
Joined
May 12, 2012
Messages
462
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Location
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this on the beach and tried to ID it. It's a scapula but it does not match the common dolphin or pelican. It's close to a penguin but there are no penguins on the east coast shores of Florida! It's white and brittle, almost 8 inches long and 3 1/2 inches wide at it's widest part. Note nosy puppy in photo, she's anxious to check out the bone!
 

Attachments

  • P1090879.webp
    P1090879.webp
    7.8 KB · Views: 436
  • P1090881.webp
    P1090881.webp
    13 KB · Views: 466
Upvote 0
Of the big fish:dontknow:
 
Interesting. Maybe its from a manatee. Check out the manatee skeleton pic I found.
 

Attachments

  • manatee.webp
    manatee.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 439
Fen you might be right. I forgot about the manatee. I kept thinking some kind of bird and the top of it is patterned
like a turtle so i was looking every where!
 
No question it is a section of sea turtle shell. Judging by the size probably loggerhead
 
If its part of the shell, why does it have that piece that sticks out, like it should be attached to something that moves-a fin or wing, arm?
 
Please try to take my word a little when I say I'm sure about something. The shell is held to the spine like a ribcage

sea-turtle-shell-1.webp
 
Wow what a great photo! I can see now how my piece works, this is great! Thank you!
 
Ha ha... no prob
 
I think Gator is right. If you look at the pic I included the scapula on the manatee has a ridge towards the insertion of the humerus. Your bone - no ridge. I stand corrected! Nice job Gator!
 
This is another great example of how information is learned thru this forum! Well done Gator!
 
I got lucky... ha ha. Gotta love T-Net

ForumRunner_20120803_220451.webp
 
Sea turtle skull
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom