What's new

Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

49r Relics

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2008
Messages
789
Reaction score
686
Golden Thread
2
Location
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scarce Class of 1914 Ring - Fresno State

Was out at Golden Gate Park (Big Rec) for a night hunt and found this 22K Class of a very scarce 1914 ring for "Fresno State Normal". "Fresno State Normal" was the original name of Fresno State University. The college was established in 1911 and basically stopped being called Fresno State Normal after 1916 until finally becoming a 4 year university in 1921. The 6th oldest college in California. The University is still trying to determine how many actually graduated that year but, very few as it was mostly just a 2 year program in 1914.

I have contacted the University and they intend to write a story about it in the FSU Bulldog Newsletter. I have also been contacted by several people in Administration and from the Alumni Association so far regarding the story of finding this ring. I have been told by everyone that I have talked to so far that there is no record of any class rings that said "Fresno State Normal" ever being made!

2ce0kmdss.webp
Thanks for looking!

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:
 
Last edited:
Upvote 2
Re: Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State"

No name inscribed inside or anywhere . . . :-\
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Sweeeeet find right there, congrats!!!!!! :icon_pirat:
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

From the land of the Bluenose....it might be unique me bouy. Great shape for all the years!
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

You my friend have the one to prove them wrong! A one in a million find. Congrats.
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

that is really a nice ring! congrats
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Mark That is a sweet find congrats Banner! :headbang:
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Wow, what a find! The 22K explains the great condition. How deep was it and what kind of signal did you get? They sure had an odd way of putting the year on that ring!
You got my banner vote...for a great find and the rarity!!
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Incredibly cool find there Mark! :notworthy:
Very decent of you to contact the university in regard to it! :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

You are just kickin' butt here lately. Good for you, you deserve it Mark. I know how hard you work for your finds. :hello2: :notworthy:
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Now that is a great find! It possibly was a school teachers ring, not a graduation ring.

And I'm pretty sure there weren't many teachers there then. :thumbsup:

This desrves to be on the banner.
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Are you sure it is 1914? It looks to me like "14 Fresno State Normal 1911" But, I might not be looking at it right! Either way, it's a great find.
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

fyrffytr1 said:
Are you sure it is 1914? It looks to me like "14 Fresno State Normal 1911" But, I might not be looking at it right! Either way, it's a great find.

U saw that too. I thought 1911. Either way that is one old class ring. Beautiful condition. My oldest is 1922. Congrats on finding that one. That is a find of a lifetime if you ask me. :notworthy:

Also Fresno State Normal was founded in 1911 so I bet that is 1911 right fyrfytr..
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

A Huge Sincere THANKS for all of the kind comments, information and banner nods. :thumbsup:

fyrffytr1 said:
Are you sure it is 1914? It looks to me like "14 Fresno State Normal 1911" But, I might not be looking at it right! Either way, it's a great find.

You guys bring up a great point . . . So far, this ring has everyone at FSU baffled. They say that there were only 11 graduates in 1914 and no written record of any rings ever officially offered back then. I never thought to consider it a 1911 Graduation Ring with the number 14 on it. But we have been wondering if it was a faculty ring. I have lots of interest and great comments from the FSU admin that have contacted me so far. This is by far my most interesting and intriguing find in 25+ years of detecting. Will keep everyone updated with anything that I hear from FSU.

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Way Way Cool!
Looking forward to hearing more when you find out.
Congrats on a great find. That 22K melts me!
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

I thought that '1914' was cast rather oddly! No doubt about it, that is 1911. Now, I am wondering if the '14' could be '114', but, I don't really think so. The '14' obviously has some prominent reference....maybe a Teacher's Union number? or '14th' in the class, or a jersey number (doubt they had a team, the Freson Grapes, ;D ).........or??
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Roland58 said:
I thought that '1914' was cast rather oddly! No doubt about it, that is 1911. Now, I am wondering if the '14' could be '114', but, I don't really think so. The '14' obviously has some prominent reference....maybe a Teacher's Union number? or '14th' in the class, or a jersey number (doubt they had a team, the Fresno Grapes, ;D ).........or??

Under exam on the loop . . I really don't think it's a "114", just "14" inside a seperate little oval (not inside the horseshoe like to other date 1911). Still can't figure out what the 14 could possibly stand for :dontknow:
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

:notworthy: You The Man! :notworthy:
WOW!!!...I just can't believe that our Prestigious University here in Fresno CA can't figure this one out :icon_scratch:.
:read2: checking my notes I'd say that...."IT'S A PERSONAL THING" that some student had made for self possibly.... :dontknow:........I think :dontknow:
Any way it really is a gorgeous looking ring and congratulations on the find because it's :lurk: "PRICELESS".
My advice is to hold onto it tightly.
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Congrats on you Banner find :thumbsup:
The ring is very intriguing,what a wonderful piece of history :hello2:
HH Soup
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

BeachBumm said:
Roland58 said:
I thought that '1914' was cast rather oddly! No doubt about it, that is 1911. Now, I am wondering if the '14' could be '114', but, I don't really think so. The '14' obviously has some prominent reference....maybe a Teacher's Union number? or '14th' in the class, or a jersey number (doubt they had a team, the Fresno Grapes, ;D ).........or??

Under exam on the loop . . I really don't think it's a "114", just "14" inside a seperate little oval (not inside the horseshoe like to other date 1911). Still can't figure out what the 14 could possibly stand for :dontknow:

Did they have any kind of sport? The 14 could have been some one's jersey number.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom