What's new

Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

49r Relics

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2008
Messages
789
Reaction score
686
Golden Thread
2
Location
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scarce Class of 1914 Ring - Fresno State

Was out at Golden Gate Park (Big Rec) for a night hunt and found this 22K Class of a very scarce 1914 ring for "Fresno State Normal". "Fresno State Normal" was the original name of Fresno State University. The college was established in 1911 and basically stopped being called Fresno State Normal after 1916 until finally becoming a 4 year university in 1921. The 6th oldest college in California. The University is still trying to determine how many actually graduated that year but, very few as it was mostly just a 2 year program in 1914.

I have contacted the University and they intend to write a story about it in the FSU Bulldog Newsletter. I have also been contacted by several people in Administration and from the Alumni Association so far regarding the story of finding this ring. I have been told by everyone that I have talked to so far that there is no record of any class rings that said "Fresno State Normal" ever being made!

2ce0kmdss.webp
Thanks for looking!

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:
 
Last edited:
Upvote 2
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

West coast find makes Banner :headbang: Congrats , unique ring has definite Alumni interest !! I hope someone solves the #14 mystery & and I never thought any college would be named normal ::) :icon_scratch: :D Great solid 22 kt . piece of the schools first year 8) 8)
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Maybe the 1911 refers to the school's founding date.
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Yes this seems most likely and class of '14. This is a great find and congrats on the banner! Hope you can locate the owner's family - that would be an amazing story! Please keep us informed of your progress. You may want to post it on What Is It ? Forum too as there are some great sleuths that hang out there! Best, Erik

fyrffytr1 said:
Maybe the 1911 refers to the school's founding date.
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Exciting find! Congrats!


HH Joe
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Erik in NJ said:
Yes this seems most likely and class of '14. This is a great find and congrats on the banner! Hope you can locate the owner's family - that would be an amazing story! Please keep us informed of your progress. You may want to post it on What Is It ? Forum too as there are some great sleuths that hang out there! Best, Erik

fyrffytr1 said:
Maybe the 1911 refers to the school's founding date.

Congrats on your Banner find. :icon_thumleft: I agree with Erik on this point, I believe that "1911" is the founding date and the other, the year of his graduation.
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Awsome find Beachbumm

Here is a cool picture of the old administration building at Fresno City College in 1930 (Formerly Fresno State Normal School). The old administration building is in the process of being redone and will in the future be used again as part of the Fresno City College campus.

Below picture is from a few years ago before they started the project.
 

Attachments

  • OldFresnoState.webp
    OldFresnoState.webp
    57 KB · Views: 3,643
  • fccadmin.webp
    fccadmin.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 3,648
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Maybe its a new drop... the 14 could be 2014, if they just started college in 2010 that would fit... school rings have the graduating year on them, it is a 4 year college as you stated...

also since its their 100 anniversary next year maybe the name is commemorate that...

Is the grape logo something to do with the college? I know that part of the country is wine/grape country now... I don't know if it was back in 1911...

The 14 could be a jersey number too... look into that if they have sports teams...

I'm just looking on this end of time...

Either way 22k gold ring very nice!

Just some more things to think about.

Chukers
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

great find :thumbsup:
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

WOW ~ totally cool!

I got a chance to detect Golden Gate Park in June of 2009 ~ but I didn't find much there, just pocket change. At that time I had just got a Minelab explorer SE ~ I was still learning the machine. Now I have an eTrac ~ I sure would like to go back there now!

CONGRAT'S!!!

Neil
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

That is one awesome find. Looks great up top too. Congrats. :thumbsup: jgas
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Congrat's on the banner! It one really sweet looking ring. :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

That is one sweet ring and the shape is just superb! Congratulations!!!
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Yes sir that is a beauty for sure. Is there anything on the sides? Seems it is not only a great find but an exciting mystery as well. Congratulations to you.
hh
TnMtns
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Perhaps a wealthy parent had it specially made for their graduate? Nice find!
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

Mrs Bloom said:
Perhaps a wealthy parent had it specially made for their graduate? Nice find!
Seems to me that if it was specially made, then the owner's name or at least initials would be engraved in it some wheres. Just my opinion...
Very Fine Find! :headbang:
HH, Yard Digger
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

What if the school entered a grape growers competition and took 14Th. place. I thought of this because the shape looks more like a horse collar given in a winners circle and the 14 placement is odd for a date. No one has any explanation for the bunch of grapes ; So , what do you think ? Also who ever heard of a 22K class ring from a minor school ? It's a great ring and an enigma.
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

I looked at the lettering closely, the R's are different from each other. The S's too. And the lettering spacing is not the same through out. The 1911 looks crude too. Seems to me it's a custom made ring. A ring manufacturer would do a better job I would think.
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

To me the most obvious spacing discrepancy is between the "NO" in FRESNO and in NORMAL - in the latter case the letters are almost touching. The symmetry of the horseshoe is also a bit odd, due to the enigmatic placement and orientation of the "14". Do you think the mold was a one-off hand made piece? It's still an interesting mystery - wish someone would post a link to it on the What Is It? forum.
 
Re: Scarce Class of 1914 Ring "Fresno State Normal"

It's amazing what keeps coming out of "Big Rec" in Golden Gate Park. A couple of barbers were pulled out just last week by a guy I talked to while hunting S.F. last weekend. If they would only scrap off about 5 inches off that field with a dozer blade I bet a hundred seated coins would show up! Nice ring!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom