What's new

Scoop Handle Questions

nuggetshooter

Full Member
Joined
May 9, 2004
Messages
112
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

I notice that most of the handles on scoops are metal or wood. Do any of you use a fiberglass handle? If not, why not? If you use wood, do you paint it with anything to protect it from the water? If so, what have you found to be the best product? Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
My stainless-steel water scoop is used primarily as a wet sand / waters edge scoop. Handle is wood, 1-3/8" x 1-3/8" squared bottom post-hole digger, finished / sealed with boiled linseed oil. (I use boiled linseed oil on all wood handled tools.) Also wipe bare metal equipment with linseed oil to prevent rust.

If spending a lot of time wading in deeper water, a marine epoxy paint would be my choice for wood handles. Occasional wading doesn't hurt the boiled linseed oil finish, and the oil finish feels better to my hand than a painted finish.
 
I don't have fiberglass handles on my scoops because they were not available when I bought the scoops. Since I wade, I want a handle that floats and I paint it white on top so I can see it when I am in deeper water.
 
As you can see by my picture, i use fiberglass handles for my scoop. If you look at the end of the handle you'll notice a grip. As long as that grip stays in place, my scoop will float. Or i could just spray expanding foam down the hollow handle and it will float with or without the grip. This is a very sturdy fiberglass posthole handle.

Ken
 

Attachments

  • IMG00127-20100419-1328.webp
    IMG00127-20100419-1328.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 361
Hawaii MDer -- Is that the 5GRANIK scoop? I just ordered the 5GRANIK-2 scoop. Should be here next week I hope. I also ordered a fiberglass handle that looks like yours from Ace Hardware. Should be here next week too. Did you have to reduce your handle down much for it to fit? And finally,how do you like the scoop? Thanks
Darryl
 
I like wood since it floats and is easy on the hands. But, since U have already ordered a fiberglass handle what is the point? Why not wait and try the one U get and then C how YOU like it. If it works 4 U fine, if not try another till U find one U like
 
The point is I also have a scoop with a wood handle and I want to know how best to protect it. If experienced people, like yourself, feel fiberglass is better, and they have good reason(s) to do so, I might decide to replace it with a fiberglass one. Or, based on the responses I get, I may decide to keep the wood handle on the scoop and protect it. I have no experience with either the fiberglass or the wood handle, and I am looking to experienced metal detectorists to help me out. My RTG sand scoop has a metal handle. So, I am doing some research to try and make a reasonable and informed decision.
 
Sandman said:
I don't have fiberglass handles on my scoops because they were not available when I bought the scoops. Since I wade, I want a handle that floats and I paint it white on top so I can see it when I am in deeper water.

Sandman, have you tried various colors such as fluorescent orange or lime green etc, and found that white has better visability in ocean water?

TKS, :-)
 
nuggetshooter said:
The point is I also have a scoop with a wood handle and I want to know how best to protect it. If experienced people, like yourself, feel fiberglass is better, and they have good reason(s) to do so, I might decide to replace it with a fiberglass one. Or, based on the responses I get, I may decide to keep the wood handle on the scoop and protect it. I have no experience with either the fiberglass or the wood handle, and I am looking to experienced metal detectorists to help me out. My RTG sand scoop has a metal handle. So, I am doing some research to try and make a reasonable and informed decision.


As I said I prefer wood but the only research that will really give U the "reasonable and informed decision" U seek is to use them all and C which one is best for U U have wood and metal now with a fiberglass one on the way-Just a matter of time and the mystery will B solved
 
Yep, that is one of starv's scoops, and that looks like a treasure map it's leaning up against! Anyone make it out yet?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom