Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't mind a broken back, a hand held jobbie will do just fine in the shallows.
Not recommended, but, to each his own. :D

Good Luck!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if searching shallow water, having a long handle scoop saves the back and you can let the waves wash out the scoop and you won't have to shake it like a Pitbull on a snake. I tried many and the bigger the better for a retrieve on the first scoop before a wave washes sand into the hole. Stealth beach scoop A good scoop lasts for many years and is worth the price. 720 stealth.JPG Back of 720.JPG

worthy

Dec 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro , whites pi , garrett ace 250, c-scope ib
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not a good idea to have a short handle scoop in chest deep water. you cant bend down to dig the hole.HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most guys wear out their arms and wrists when they lift the scoop to the surface or so they can look inside. I just hoist it up in little jumps till it is where I can see it. But first I check the hole to make sure I got it.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if searching shallow water, having a long handle scoop saves the back and you can let the waves wash out the scoop and you won't have to shake it like a Pitbull on a snake. I tried many and the bigger the better for a retrieve on the first scoop before a wave washes sand into the hole. Stealth beach scoop A good scoop lasts for many years and is worth the price.

Is that your own 720 or a generic picture? I noticed that it doesn't look like it has the improved welds. Sunspot will fix it up for free if it needs the upgrade. Chuck is really passionate about their quality, and he is a great guy to chat with about treasure hunting. Anyone in MI who needs a scoop should go check out their operation, they even cut me a special deal that I refused, as I wanted to support their 100% USA made efforts

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that your own 720 or a generic picture? I noticed that it doesn't look like it has the improved welds. Sunspot will fix it up for free if it needs the upgrade. Chuck is really passionate about their quality, and he is a great guy to chat with about treasure hunting. Anyone in MI who needs a scoop should go check out their operation, they even cut me a special deal that I refused, as I wanted to support their 100% USA made efforts
I haven't taken a pic of my scoop and used the pic from Chuck's site so I could show front and back.

Pi_Rat

Feb 11, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Excal II 8" Stealth scoop 720i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would avoid the stealth scoop. It is built like a tank, but it is overpriced and too big. No scoop needs to be that big and move that amount of sand. Smaller scoops cost less and you wont end up busting your butt moving tons of sand in large amounts. And you will save money on a smaller scoop. I bought the 720i with 1/4" holes and they shipped me the 1/2" holed model. I asked if they could refund the $10 difference. They said they could and that was a month ago. I'm sure I would have ate the $20 cost to ship the scoop back for their shipping mistake. They shorted me the refund and kept it for themselves. Just bad business practice on their part.

IMG_0265.jpg IMG_0266.jpg

Chuck-N-Detroit

Oct 18, 2010
Warren, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Equinox and Deus
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Unhappy with the Sunspot Stealth 720i

I would avoid the stealth scoop. It is built like a tank, but it is overpriced and too big. No scoop needs to be that big and move that amount of sand. Smaller scoops cost less and you wont end up busting your butt moving tons of sand in large amounts. And you will save money on a smaller scoop. I bought the 720i with 1/4" holes and they shipped me the 1/2" holed model. I asked if they could refund the $10 difference. They said they could and that was a month ago. I'm sure I would have ate the $20 cost to ship the scoop back for their shipping mistake. They shorted me the refund and kept it for themselves. Just bad business practice on their part.

View attachment 794835 View attachment 794836

Hello PI Rat,
Sorry you are not happy with anything. I was on vacation when this thing (the $10 refund delay) happened and I am sorry my employee sent the wrong scoop. I am sure you are kidding when you said that we tried to screw you out of $10.

I just checked and see that Lyndia sent a check Monday for the $10.

I have a great solution:

Please send the scoop back and we will give you a full refund, pay for shipping back and I will throw in an additional $30 for your trouble. Please post here if you agree and I will send a check right away providing you agree to return the scoop.

We not only have a life time warranty but you need to be happy from the start!

Regards,
Chuck
Manufacturer of the Stealth Scoops

OP
OP
LifeNRA

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, you should take this into a PM, and not hijack my thread. JMHO!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
here's mine:

I seen countless scoops with just a handle and some with long pole handles. At the moment, I do not own a machine that is capable for deep water. Maybe a foot or two of fresh water only. Sooner or later I will upgrade. Other than having a longer reach on the long pole handle. Is there any other difference? Thanks!

I customized a long-handled one to have a pistol grip and arm-cuff, for one-arm operation:

Attachments

• 2012-11-01_08.17.58.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.17.58.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 817
  • 2012-11-01_08.18.14.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.18.14.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 414
  • 2012-11-01_08.17.45.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.17.45.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 221

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"No scoop needs to be that big and move that amount of sand" .............absolutely depends on where you hunt!!!!! east coast florida surf requires a big, deep digging scoop!!!!!!!

"Please send the scoop back and we will give you a full refund, pay for shipping back and I will throw in an additional $30 for your trouble. Please post here if you agree and I will send a check right away providing you agree to return the scoop." ............I have never owned a stealth but customer service like that is awesome!!!!!!

chuck.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John:
The scoops with short handles close to the basket are referred to as bend down scoop(s), since you have to bend over each time you use it. As it takes an average 3 to 5 bend downs per retrieval, you would have to bend down approximately 300 to 500 times to retrieve 100 objects during a single hunt.

A scoop with a pole handle saves you from having to bend down. If you only hunt on dry sand a light stand up scoop with half inch galvanized mesh sift works best.

A stronger heavier stand up scoop (one that you can stomp into the ground with your foot) is required for wet sand and shallow water. This heavier scoop can also be used on dry sand. A shorter pole, up to 48 inches works best as it easier to maneuver. I can only use mine in waist deep water before the handle goes under.

As I am over six foot I need a pole length of 52” for retrieving in shallow water (greater than waist deep). The additional length provides a safety factor as it can be used to push back to safety after stepping into a hole, I know I am too deep when I start having to stand on my toes to keep my chin above water.
Also the longer pole provides more leverage when pivoting a full load in wet sand before dragging it out of the hole.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LifeNRA

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate all the input! My father was a sheet metal mechanic, too bad he is retired now. Because I know he would have made an awesome scoop! Since he was always working in stainless, you can bet it would have been also! I believe for now, since I don't have too many beaches here in PA. Ill just get a hand scoop for now. The back works 10-12 shifts yet at work, I think Ill try this first. But like I said, I really do appreciate the input.

botics

Dec 6, 2012
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, 17" and 6" Coils
Minelab Excalibur II, 10" Coil
AT Pro, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own several scoops. The Sunspot S720i (I own one) is a beast to haul around but I am in Miami, FL and the beaches down here can be somewhat difficult.

I actually tried it today on dry land (sifting for and lifting for coins) and could not wait to get back in the water between the weight of it and the sun down here. This is a high end quality tool and is second to none.
I actually can use it effectively down here hitting hard or sandy bottoms. I would buy it again and I plan on taking it with me to NC and TN this summer to hit some rocky rivers and creeks.

I found the service to be very good and would buy again from Sunspot in a heart beat.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-132652635.jpg

Hard to beat this little RTG Pro Mini scoop for $99. It's a well built, light weight scoop.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to beach detecting but how do you get the earrings and smaller jewelry/coins with the larger holes on the scoop?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can't say I know the answer but if I'm in the surf deep enough to use mask and fins I may try fanning and scanning at the same time. Up in wet sand I believe it would be easy enough to empty scoop and scan piles.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions