What's new

Scrapers with Gravers-hopefully with pics

johnger1

Jr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2013
Messages
94
Reaction score
13
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I re-shot them.I thought these some kind of bird.
DSC09650.webpDSC09635.webpDSC09636.webpDSC09637.webpDSC09639.webpDSC09643.webpDSC09640.webpDSC09641.webpDSC09642.webpDSC09644.webpDSC09645.webpDSC09646.webpDSC09648.webpDSC09634.webpDSC09631.webpDSC09651.webpDSC09652.webpDSC09619.webpDSC09620.webpDSC09622.webpDSC09623.webpDSC09625.webpDSC09626.webpDSC09628.webpDSC09629.webpDSC09630.webpDSC09638.webpDSC09649.webp
 
Upvote 0
It's amazing how pronounced some graver spurs are, while others are very subtle. One thing for sure, as often as we see them, they must have completed a major funtion in their use. They are first thing I check for when i pick up a scraper, or decent flake.
 
I wasn't sure what to make of them until a few days ago. They all seem to be of chert of something similiar, with some of that secondary flaking. But I've got a few, that have the same shape, but are made of sandstone like material only harder.They look like they were shaped, but if there's any secondary flaking, its very subtle. Also, they're very thin, 1/8" or so. Do they qualify or are just rocks?
 
I wasn't sure what to make of them until a few days ago. They all seem to be of chert of something similiar, with some of that secondary flaking. But I've got a few, that have the same shape, but are made of sandstone like material only harder.They look like they were shaped, but if there's any secondary flaking, its very subtle. Also, they're very thin, 1/8" or so. Do they qualify or are just rocks?

Well, I'm not sure all of those above are artifacts, but I sure like the small scrapers with graver spurs, and just had to comment. The top row, right side below, has one of my favorite thumb scrapers with a nicely pronounced spur.

DSCN3206.webp
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the photos, they helped alot. Just to clarify, the round scraper ones with triangler point are scraper with graver spurs.The oval shaped ones in your picture, are also scraper with graver spur? Is that the name given to this tool, regardless of size and shape of the scraper, and are they broker down into smaller sub-catagories? Thanks John
 
There are so many different types of scrapers. I find a different type usually. Not too many with spurs on them here.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom