Scrapping Brass?

mnplumberman

Greenie
Jan 1, 2008
Hey everyone,
I am new to scrapping, have scrapped copper pipe a few times. I am in the plumbing and heating industry and have access to plenty of scrap metals. Up until now we have had a guy that takes everything but the copper, but I figure why should I give up this free money.
I have been reading about scrapping Brass, and I see that there are lots of different types of Brass. I also see brass described as "Clean."
Can I scrap all brass out together, or do I need to sort it? If it has to be sorted, is there an easy way to do that?
Any info on scrapping Brass would be appreciated.
Thanks for the help
D

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Only two types of brass that I know of and that is red brass and yellow brass. You can tell the difference by the color. I think red brass is actually Bronze.
"Clean Brass" means that it has no solder on it or any metal attached such as screws.

It pays to separate the clean from the other because the clean pays more. There is also clean copper. Copper with solder should be seperated if they will not pay full price for it. All metal or plastic, screws or brackets should always be removed from copper or brass to get top price.

You can also sell aluminum or lead.

OP
OP
M

mnplumberman

Greenie
Jan 1, 2008
Thanks alot for the info, i called my local scrap yard and got some info on prices, and how they prefer things to be broken down and separated.
Appreciate the help
D

2muchstuff

Dec 27, 2007
Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
You can tell the difference by the color. I think red brass is actually Bronze.
Red brass is Bronze, it contains more copper. Most of your larger pipe fittings are bronze.

There is another bronze out there but you might not even come across it being in plumbing and that is Marine Bronze.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
2muchstuff said:
bigcypresshunter said:
You can tell the difference by the color. I think red brass is actually Bronze.
Red brass is Bronze, it contains more copper. Most of your larger pipe fittings are bronze.
Yes, most of the fittings are bronze (red brass) and the thinner drain pipes are yellow brass. Once you learn the difference it is not hard to separate and you will make more money. The scrapyard workers will help you. If you dont seperate, you will most likely be paid the lower price.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
wolfmann said:
THERE IS ALSO ELECTRICAL BRASS AND MACHINERY BRASS AND ALSO WHITE BRASS
Yes. I believe white brass is a smaller percent of copper and would probably be considered pot metal by most scrap yards, unless it has a copper color.

At least 4 alloy groups are known as white brass; some do not contain nickel.

1) 65Sn-(28-30)Zn-(3-6)Cu [compositions in weight %], a hard, tough castable alloy used for automobile bearings,
2) A zinc alloy containing a few percent Cu, castable, used for cheap jewelry and novelty items,
3) 56Cu-16Zn-28Sn, an electroplating alloy – Proc. Amer. Electroplaters’ Society, p. 247 (1944),
4) "White nickel brass is a grade of nickel silver. The white brass used for castings where a white color is desired may contain up to 30% nickel. The 60:20:20 [Cu:Ni:Zn] alloy is used for white plaque castings for buildings. Nickel brasses known as German silver are copper-nickel-zinc white alloys used as a base metal for plated silverware, for springs and contacts in electrical equipment, and for corrosion-resistant parts. Extra-white metal, the highest grade, contains 50% copper, 30 nickel, and 20 zinc. The Federal Trade Commission prohibits the use of the term German silver in the marketing of silver-plated ware." – Materials Handbook, 14th Edn., p. 970-971 (1997).

Search the Nickel Institute's website: http://www.nidi.org/ for nickel silver.

Search the Copper Development Association's site http://www.copper.org for nickel silver and white brass.

http://www.finishing.com/275/88.shtml

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread