found a big safe today!!!!!

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
hello all,

I've been working so much overtime lately I have not been to the scrap yard since the week before Christmas. Been kinda slow finding things too, but wow I found a good 'un tonite. a Big Ole Safe!!! It's locked and was in front of a house that I don't think anyone lives in, but some does take care of it. It's about 4 foot high maybe 3x3 on casters and it looks like it had some plaster on the sides. Thank God it was on casters, cause there was no way I can lift this thing. It is iron so it's got that much going for it, but what could be in side? I had to know and walked to the house, which was a few blocks from mine and rolled in the street in this bitter wind to get it home. It is snowing and blowing now, so I'm glad I got cause it would no longer be possible.

now to figure out how to open this thing.... any ideas? a lock smith maybe or the scrap yard with their torches might help? Any help is appreciated. I'll get a picture to post tomorrow when the storm subsides.

happy hunting and scrapping,
Rumblebelly

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am dying to know whats inside

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do not use a torch because if theres any paper inside it will burn up.

jhoff310

Jun 23, 2007
good carbide tipped drill bit and a hammer drill, drill out the hinges.
without seeing a pic i cant offer much more advice

Hoff out

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
First off call the safe dealer with the name of the safe. Don't bang on it or try to punch. See what they will charge to open it for you and how much they will pay for the empty safe. Pay them to open it at your location. Remove any contents and sell them the empty safe to haul away. They will give you a few minutes in private to inspect the contents and remove. As long as no one has reported a stolen safe you are good to go. siegfried schlagrule

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
As TreasureTales says, turn it over, you may be able to beat through the bottom.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Rumblebelly said:
hello all,

I've been working so much overtime lately I have not been to the scrap yard since the week before Christmas. Been kinda slow finding things too, but wow I found a good 'un tonite. a Big Ole Safe!!! It's locked and was in front of a house that I don't think anyone lives in, but some does take care of it. It's about 4 foot high maybe 3x3 on casters and it looks like it had some plaster on the sides. Thank God it was on casters, cause there was no way I can lift this thing. It is iron so it's got that much going for it, but what could be in side? I had to know and walked to the house, which was a few blocks from mine and rolled in the street in this bitter wind to get it home. It is snowing and blowing now, so I'm glad I got cause it would no longer be possible.

now to figure out how to open this thing.... any ideas? a lock smith maybe or the scrap yard with their torches might help? Any help is appreciated. I'll get a picture to post tomorrow when the storm subsides.

happy hunting and scrapping,
Rumblebelly

You say you found this safe in front of a house that you don't think anyone lives in.

Did you ask anyone if you could have the safe?

Your lack of details makes it seem like you stole it from in front of someones home..

OP
OP
Rumblebelly

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
thank you all for the ideas, I'm gonna post some pics this weekend. I've gotta make some calls.

I guess it does sound fishy so to clarify: The safe was at the curb of this house with a broken big screen tv .... oh ya I got the cord! I can assure you I did not steal it. People here tend to throw the bigger items out the day before garbage day, which is nice for me.

thanks for all of your posts, you guys inspire me with your finds.

Rumblebelly

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
I would be surprised to hear that the area between the sidewalk and the curb was not fair game. The only exceptions that i can think of are communities where they recycle. Most of them state that if you are caught swiping aluminum cans from the recycle tubs you will be arrested and fined. They say that is because the money from the aluminum pays for the expenses of hauling the trash. That's their story and they're sticking to it. They also continue to charge folks for hauling the trash and picking up the garbage. Not worth the hassles to break the rules though. siegfried schlagrule

XX

Jan 11, 2008
There is no market for old safes that have been drilled (might be some value if they are repaired properly). Not only with the safesmith charge for drilling it, he may not even be willing to take it for free.

If this is the type of safe I'm thinking of, the hinges are for holding the door while it's open and not part of the security of the safe. There would be bolts in the door that lock the door.

I would look for any indication of the manufacturer and even a serial number or something to help identify the safe. If it has an inner door (and it's still present), then using heat to cut through the outer door is less of risk to the contents.

Does the dial still spin freely? How many numbers are on it? Does the safe have one door or two?

OP
OP
Rumblebelly

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
Re: found a big safe today!!!!! updated w/pics and find

here's a pic of the safe

I knocked the hinges off and tried to pry the door open ... no dice
So I busted out the bottom like y'all suggested

bingo... when I tipped the safe over something moved inside!!!
and it was...

a 1975 or 73 beat up nickel ... that's it..... bummer
also the scrap yard will not take it because it is cement lined .... bummer

oh well it was exciting and exercise.... better luck next time
Thank you all for the ideas and interest
Rumblebelly

Attachments

• P1010612.JPG
    P1010612.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 651
  • P1010615.JPG
    P1010615.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 648
  • P1010617.JPG
    P1010617.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 647

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
If you don't want to put it on your curb as a joke you can lay it on its side and use it for a unique coffee table. Don't walk through the living room barefoot in the dark. you'll break a toe. siegfried schlagrule

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man, too bad you didnt just call a locksmith to open it, they can reset the combo, a safe that is not broken is worth more than scrap on the secondary market...now its...well, worthless.
Depending on what the rating of the safe was it can have a secondary market value of anywhere to a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. the one for my store was used and still cost us 3 grand.

1960texan

Dec 6, 2007
Texas
Sorry it turned out to be a bust....like Jeraldo Rivera and the Al Capone safe. ROFL

I remember watching that on TV. The construction guys he had helping him looked like they wanted to bean him with the hammer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread