What's new

SCRATCHY ROCK?

lost crow

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2011
Messages
251
Reaction score
74
Golden Thread
0
Location
Texas
I found this "rock" a while back, it shows no sign of being matelic, but seems heavy for its size. It is covered with fine scratches. It might just be a rock, but any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks and happy hunting. It is about 1 1/2" long.
FINDS 093.webp
FINDS 094.webp
 
Upvote 0
It's really hard to tell from the photos. When a stone.. like hardstone of any kind "which is very dense and heavy for its size" is ground into its final shape it leaves scratches alot like that. It looks like your piece has the possibility of being part of a broken celt..or axe. It's very hard to tell from two dimensional photos. Try looking that up so you can see examples and see what you think.
 
its red Hematite
 
Yeah I was thinking a paint stone. They used it and scratched it for the color for face paint and stuff like that
 
They made Celts with it too. Here is a bit.

ForumRunner_20130212_155630.webp
 
its very hard
it really is just raw iron ore(iron oxide )mix with clay
called Hematite when it hard , comes in a few colors red,black.yellow,brown. and other more rare colors.
also when soft and weather its called red ochre(indian war pant)
kind of confusing
 
I have found a few different types this yr where I hunt at. But I know nobody wants to see them lol. Mine arent scratched and are natural.
 
not trying to take over your thread,just though i showed what we talking about better
here you go
red Hematite(broken baby celt)
5a_zps260ce338.jpg

4b_zpsd98289c2.jpg

red ochre(indian war pant)
MVC-105S_zpsd23c351b.jpg

MVC-103S_zpsc227a9d3.jpg

black Hematite( baby celt)
2b_zps5e0be746.jpg

4a_zpsb3a3e2ee.jpg

4d_zps5bb28b46.jpg
 
its very hard
it really is just raw iron ore(iron oxide )mix with clay
called Hematite when it hard , comes in a few colors red,black.yellow,brown. and other more rare colors.
also when soft and weather its called red ochre(indian war pant)
kind of confusing

What he said. Nice find.
 
Thanks for all the input guys, I don't know much about indian artifacts, but I have found a few points through the years and have been thrilled with every one of them. Good luck in all your hunts.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom