Scuba diving

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I scuba dive in rivers and find roman coins from -200 to +300 period.
mainly in the rhone river on the swiss part. Coins are usually in mint condition!

This is a video of my detecting mate, scuba diving in the Rhone river in the center of Geneva LOL ... sorry he speaks only french and german...

Last edited:

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It is amazing how clear the water is in that video. I am sure there are plenty of finds in rivers where there has been human activity for a long time. Swimming holes, docks, boat landings, wharfs, even in the middle of a river with current and a hard bottom, they all have potential. If you have a place in mind that fits that bill, go for it.... and good luck..

OP
OP
C

ch Penn

Aug 29, 2012
Thanks for the clip. Im thinking about getting my daughter and myself certified to scuba dive. I don't know if diving and detecting will work as well around here, I think the rivers and creek will either be muddier or to rocky but I think we would both like the scuba diving anyway. I was undecided but after watching your video clip I can't stop thinking about scuba diving. Thanks

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
you can have a look to this post for scuba detection:

[URL="http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/453546-excalibur-ii-first-dive-depth-test-before-bewitched-obn.html"[/URL]

For Minelab CTX 3030 diving test :

For Scuba diving to enjoy colors & nature

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try snorkeling first to get a feel for the area that you will be detecting.
If its too rock or too muddy you will know before spending time and money getting certified and buying all that equipment.'
If you enjoy the snorkeling experience you will love diving (scuba or hookah) as it extends the time that you can stay underwater.

Thanks for the clip. Im thinking about getting my daughter and myself certified to scuba dive. I don't know if diving and detecting will work as well around here, I think the rivers and creek will either be muddier or to rocky but I think we would both like the scuba diving anyway. I was undecided but after watching your video clip I can't stop thinking about scuba diving. Thanks

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would SCUBA in our rivers, but we only have mud-water and you couldn't see your hand if you put in on your mask.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the land of 10,00 lakes - So I stay in the lakes. The rivers scare me, as the current is strong, the visibility is 0 and plenty of logs, trees, branches can smash into you. Do you have any lake sin your area?
Oh, and BTW - Frog - Thanks for the video, though I would tell your friend to take his wedding band off while diving........or I'll be finding it in the future :laughing7:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing7: I have noticed as well and thought exactly the same!!!

We had a dinner together last week and we laugh about this first pic on this video LoL.

FM

Last edited:

riverdiver

Sep 27, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic5 ID
White's Surf Master II with the dive rod
Garrett Treasure Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ch Penn,

I have been diving rivers and creeks in New England since 1988 sometimes with a Whites Surf master II with the shortened diver handle and other times just eyeballing items. I have made some great finds. As for the trees and junk, yes they are here too but I do not drift dive and instead walk on the bottom with weighted logging boots and I always walk/detect into the current. I have several posts on this site so feel free to look through past posts and see some of my recoveries. I have been diving since 1979 and river diving is considered by most to be an advanced skill, adding a detector is a whole different animal especially in a current. Please consider walking/wading with a detector in shallow creeks with good footwear and then move onto snorkeling. I had 10 years under my weight belt so to speak before I added the detector to my arsenal of tools

OP
OP
C

ch Penn

Aug 29, 2012
Thanks, I'm still undecided on scuba diving. I'll take a look at your post and i defiantly don't want to place my 13 year old daughter in any dangerous situations.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, I'm still undecided on scuba diving. I'll take a look at your post and i defiantly don't want to place my 13 year old daughter in any dangerous situations.

13 years old is a bit young to scuba dive in "difficult" areas. Just forget it. Kids don't scuba dive before 12years old as they don't understand the word "danger" and zero fault tolerance.

My kids have started to use my scuba tanks in the swimming pool at the age of 5 years old, but i will wait till they are >12 years old to get them in the sea even with perfect conditions and my PADi instructors friends around.

Let them make a scuba discovery at 10ft down yes, but not deeper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread