What's new

SE Ohio Arrowheads

indy46

Greenie
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
18
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being very new to the forum and metal detecting, I was wondering if anyone could give me information about how to find arrowheads. I am located in SW Ohio and I know that there were Shawnee and Miami tribes by me. How would I go about looking for arrowheads and what would I need to do so? Thanks! Nunzio
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
the answer to that could be a mile long on here Nunzio... There is a lot of on line info. IMO the best way to learn is find somebody that does it and team up for a bit. In your area I'm sure you know someone that does it. Most hunters don't show very many people their spots. Its a trust and respect thing. Looking forward to seeing your finds!!
A water source is probably the most important for bigger sites usually up out of the flood zone. Natural shelter areas are good too.
Welcome to the site!!!
 
Welcome from Holmes County, Oh.

You're in a good area, most finds come from plowed fields. Be sure and get permission first, after a rain is best, but not when it's muddy or planted. Respect the farmer's field, or you will be done hunting there.

Any elevated flat spot along a stream is worth a look, flat ground near a good spring, ridge top springs, over hanging rock shelters....even building sites in town. Often modern towns were built where ancient villages stood, some of my best finds have been in construction sites.

Mainly just get out there and look, when you start seeing flakes of flint, you are in the right area.

Good Luck, post some pics.
 
What county in SE Ohio are you in? I am in Scioto county and there are plenty of places to look in this area.
 
Down in Butler. There are some fields I know I could search but no idea when I'll have the time. Thanks to everyone ^
 
I am also new to this. I have found many artifacts while working construction in college. I have a small collection, but nothing comparable to most members on this site. Most of what I have found was doing dirt work in Scioto Co., where I like the Grim Reaper live.
 
I am also new to this. I have found many artifacts while working construction in college. I have a small collection, but nothing comparable to most members on this site. Most of what I have found was doing dirt work in Scioto Co., where I like the Grim Reaper live.

Lets see them and welcome to the site. Start a new thread of your own and tell about yourself. We like seeing all artifacts
 
Down in Butler. There are some fields I know I could search but no idea when I'll have the time. Thanks to everyone ^


Butler county is actually in southwest Ohio, not southeast Ohio. I do know that your area is a good area to find Slate pieces. Contact trevvma on here. He is from that area and may hook you up.
 
Southeast is up the river from me and Grim. Should be some artifacts up there, but not a lot of people search that area on this forum. However search any bare land close to streams and rivers. Look for flint pieces. Good luck.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom