GMan00001
Silver Member
- Joined
- Dec 19, 2006
- Messages
- 2,539
- Reaction score
- 228
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Twin Cities, MN
- Detector(s) used
- Garrett Ace 250
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
On Friday I tried to pick up the $1000 bag of dimes that was almost full at one of my regular stops. I was told by the teller that he thought it was less than $100 left, so I bought $100 in dimes from a neighboring bank and did a quickie edge search in the car and cashed in the rejects hoping to fill the bag. Turned out that $100 still wasn't enough to fill the bag.
The quickie edge search turned up:
1 silver Roosevelt (1961-D)
2 Canadian (1977, 2002-P)
Also picked up a 1963-D silver Roosevelt dime from the tellers tray when cashing in the $100.
That was my last search of August.
Saturday morning I headed off to my parents house to do some prep work for the upcoming hunting season (putting up stands, etc). On the way I was planning on stopping at quite a few banks, but I got a late start so I only managed to get to 9 banks.
Ended up searching
$178 in loose half dollars (mostly from coin machines)
and at the last bank (right at noon) picked up a bags of other denominations since I still had cash available.
$500 in quarters
$500 in dimes
$100 in nickels
$25 in pennies
The halves produced
3 - 90% Kennedy (1964(2), 1964-D)
7 - 40% Kennedy (1965, 1966, 1967, 1968-D(2), 1969-D(2))
2 Foreign (freebies as they were just given to me, well actually my son)
Australia, 20 Cents (1978)
Mexico, 1 Peso (1979)
Also picked up two more Ike dollars (1972-D, 1978-D) which I also gave to my son (since he doesn't have many).
The quarters and dimes produced squat except a 1941-D wheat penny in the dime bag.
The nickels produced:
20 pre-1960 Jefferson (1939, 1940(2), 1941, 1942, 1942-D, 1946-D, 1949, 1953-S, 1954-D(3), 1956-D, 1957, 1957-D, 1958-D, 1959(2), 1959-D(2))
2 Canadian (1986, 1999)
The pennies produced:
6 wheat pennies (1941, 1941-D(2), 1944-D, 1957-D, 1958-D)
14 Canadian (1963, 1965(2), 1975, 1976, 1979, 1982(2), 1984, 1985, 1987, 1991, 1995, 1998)
After cashing in all the rejects and looking at the breakdown of the coins, I determined that I actually came out ahead on the bags I picked up.
Quarters +$0.00
Dimes +$3.00 (plus 12 pennies)
Nickels +0.20
Pennies +0.07 (plus 3 quarters)
so I ended up +$4.14 on the bags. Considering I didn't find much at least I was ahead.
And then while at my parents I went out metal detecting a couple of times and finally, FINALLY, found my first silver coin with my metal detector, a 1956-D Roosevelt Dime. Also found a couple dollars of clad (maybe 70-80 coins).
Also searched my parents change jar (like I have been doing regularly for the past 25 years or so...)
The change jar had a few keepers, but not as many as usual.
1 wheat penny (1946)
6 Canadian pennies (1944, 1963, 1966, 1974, 1982, 1989)
2 pre-1960 Jefferson (1941, 1952)
3 Canadian nickels (1998, 2004-P, 2006-P)
1 Foreign coin (Panama, 1 Centesimo (1977))
The quickie edge search turned up:
1 silver Roosevelt (1961-D)
2 Canadian (1977, 2002-P)
Also picked up a 1963-D silver Roosevelt dime from the tellers tray when cashing in the $100.
That was my last search of August.
Saturday morning I headed off to my parents house to do some prep work for the upcoming hunting season (putting up stands, etc). On the way I was planning on stopping at quite a few banks, but I got a late start so I only managed to get to 9 banks.
Ended up searching
$178 in loose half dollars (mostly from coin machines)
and at the last bank (right at noon) picked up a bags of other denominations since I still had cash available.
$500 in quarters
$500 in dimes
$100 in nickels
$25 in pennies
The halves produced
3 - 90% Kennedy (1964(2), 1964-D)
7 - 40% Kennedy (1965, 1966, 1967, 1968-D(2), 1969-D(2))
2 Foreign (freebies as they were just given to me, well actually my son)
Australia, 20 Cents (1978)
Mexico, 1 Peso (1979)
Also picked up two more Ike dollars (1972-D, 1978-D) which I also gave to my son (since he doesn't have many).
The quarters and dimes produced squat except a 1941-D wheat penny in the dime bag.
The nickels produced:
20 pre-1960 Jefferson (1939, 1940(2), 1941, 1942, 1942-D, 1946-D, 1949, 1953-S, 1954-D(3), 1956-D, 1957, 1957-D, 1958-D, 1959(2), 1959-D(2))
2 Canadian (1986, 1999)
The pennies produced:
6 wheat pennies (1941, 1941-D(2), 1944-D, 1957-D, 1958-D)
14 Canadian (1963, 1965(2), 1975, 1976, 1979, 1982(2), 1984, 1985, 1987, 1991, 1995, 1998)
After cashing in all the rejects and looking at the breakdown of the coins, I determined that I actually came out ahead on the bags I picked up.
Quarters +$0.00
Dimes +$3.00 (plus 12 pennies)
Nickels +0.20
Pennies +0.07 (plus 3 quarters)
so I ended up +$4.14 on the bags. Considering I didn't find much at least I was ahead.

And then while at my parents I went out metal detecting a couple of times and finally, FINALLY, found my first silver coin with my metal detector, a 1956-D Roosevelt Dime. Also found a couple dollars of clad (maybe 70-80 coins).
Also searched my parents change jar (like I have been doing regularly for the past 25 years or so...)
The change jar had a few keepers, but not as many as usual.
1 wheat penny (1946)
6 Canadian pennies (1944, 1963, 1966, 1974, 1982, 1989)
2 pre-1960 Jefferson (1941, 1952)
3 Canadian nickels (1998, 2004-P, 2006-P)
1 Foreign coin (Panama, 1 Centesimo (1977))
Upvote
0







