What's new

searching and dumping dime bags?? (results from the bag)

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2009
Messages
1,915
Reaction score
120
Golden Thread
0
Location
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my first bag of dimes today, not sure what I'll find, I don't see any silver through the plastic, but we'll see. I was just wondering how you guys go about searching these, what is the best way. And how do u go about dumping them?? Do you roll them, or just put them all back in the bag and take it in??
I got 3 40% in 35 dollars worth of halves today too, not a bad start. Hope the bag does well for me.
 
Upvote 0
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

One more question. How do u know if a machine rejects silver?? I know this machine rejects canadian coins.
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

timbobwey said:
One more question. How do u know if a machine rejects silver?? I know this machine rejects canadian coins.

I was told by the tellers at the banks I go to when I asked about buying the bags. They assured me it would be a waste of time because the machines were very selective and proven.
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

so there won't be any silver in them?
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

timbobwey said:
so there won't be any silver in them?
Just roll a silver rosie through the machine. If it eats it, you're only out a buck!
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

timbobwey said:
I got my first bag of dimes today, not sure what I'll find, I don't see any silver through the plastic, but we'll see. I was just wondering how you guys go about searching these, what is the best way. And how do u go about dumping them?? Do you roll them, or just put them all back in the bag and take it in??
I got 3 40% in 35 dollars worth of halves today too, not a bad start. Hope the bag does well for me.
I've never bought a loose bag of dimes. I do buy customer-rolled bags of $500. This is how this bank normally sends them out to the central bank. What's crazy, is that a CU I go to sends $500 bags of dimes out to the same facility, but they must be loose.
The bags of rolled dimes I search are easy. I don't re-roll, just dump 'em loose back into the bag and return them to a CU. I recently lost this privledge, so I don't search many dimes now, and I don't care to use a coin counter, even if it's free. ffd
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

i would ask if their machine rejects silver...the person that services it should know, so next time the bag fills up just ask, and as far as getting rid of the dimmes, i just send 'em bak through a machine...but pour them in slowly, and keep an eye on the count cuz sometimes the machine get jammed or something and start counting dimes as pennies...though this usually doesnt happen if u pour them slowly, and its normal for it to count 1-3 as pennies...it just happens sometimes :dontknow: good luck on the silver too.
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

I think I will just call my bank in the morning and ask them if it rejects silver. If it does I won't even open the bag, I'll just return it to another bank
I still have $100 in rolled dimes to look through tonight, hope I find something good.
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

personally i would still search it tho just incase some accidentally slipped by...it happes...good luck.
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

well, I called my bank and asked about the machine. I was told it rejects all foreign coins, and it rejects silver dimes. She didn't say it would reject any other silver coins though. But i didn't open the bag, and am going to return it tomorrow and just explain to them if the machine won't take silver, then there is no point in me searching the bag.
The good news is I got 2 more silver rosies, both 64. I pulled 2 more 5 pence coins, a 1991, and a 2000. And I got a first also, a 1994 barbados 10 cent coin. These all came from $100 in customer rolled dimes. With the 3 40% halves I got it really wasn't a bad score.
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

timbobwey said:
well, I called my bank and asked about the machine. I was told it rejects all foreign coins, and it rejects silver dimes. She didn't say it would reject any other silver coins though. But i didn't open the bag, and am going to return it tomorrow and just explain to them if the machine won't take silver, then there is no point in me searching the bag.
The good news is I got 2 more silver rosies, both 64. I pulled 2 more 5 pence coins, a 1991, and a 2000. And I got a first also, a 1994 barbados 10 cent coin. These all came from $100 in customer rolled dimes. With the 3 40% halves I got it really wasn't a bad score.
First of all I just find it amazing it only rejects the silver coins you want to buy the bag of. I call that not wanting to sell you the bag. T., it is next to impossible to look at a bag of dimes and spot the silver ones. All I can tell you is my bank's counter has a turntable and it separates the coins and counts by size. The only other way to separate the foreign coins is with a magnet in the spout you pour the coins thru. I have found a ton of coins for my collection by checking the magnet before I use the machine. Question. Have you ever checked the reject slot and found silver? I would be willing to bet it doesn't reject silver.
I never believe in passing up an opportunity. Search the bag!!!!!! What do you have to lose?
HH
Gilbert
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

I have found a lot of canadians in the reject bin, never anything silver from this machine. :headbang: I guess I could search it. So when I dump these dimes I should just put them back into the bag and take them in?? Obviously I will replace whatever I take out with other dimes.
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

timbobwey said:
I have found a lot of canadians in the reject bin, never anything silver from this machine. :headbang: I guess I could search it. So when I dump these dimes I should just put them back into the bag and take them in?? Obviously I will replace whatever I take out with other dimes.
It is a lot simpler to just dump them back into the counter. If you took the bag back in and just replaced what you took out it would have to be verified anyway. I just buy the bag, search it and then dump it back into the machine. No reason to make it difficult.
HH
Gilbert
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

yeah, that's true. well, I guess when I get out of work, I will open the bag. I shall see if this machine does reject the silver. My guess is out of $1000, there should be at least 1 silver coin in the mix.
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

The machines do not reject silver. They reject silver dimes if they are worn/ thin, making them smaller than the smallest coin the machine is set to take which is a non worn dime.
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

$1,000 bag? I would think that you would find a half a dozen.
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

enamel7 said:
timbobwey said:
I have found a lot of canadians in the reject bin, never anything silver from this machine. :headbang: I guess I could search it. So when I dump these dimes I should just put them back into the bag and take them in?? Obviously I will replace whatever I take out with other dimes.
It is a lot simpler to just dump them back into the counter. If you took the bag back in and just replaced what you took out it would have to be verified anyway. I just buy the bag, search it and then dump it back into the machine. No reason to make it difficult.
HH
Gilbert
Be careful, I know I would really tick off my CU if I bought the bag, then dumped back on them, it's going to give them "extra work".....ouch!
As far as dumping loose bags, my CU does not verify count, that's done later, maybe, I have never had a problem with my bag count in a couple years.
 
Re: searching and dumping dime bags??

well, I'm about half done with the bag so far, no silver. I did find a 1979 cinco centavos which I was surprised to see
 
Ok guys, the results from my first bag of dimes are in. I think it is a myth that the machines reject silver.
*Finds*
strange foreign coins:
1979 cinco centavo (a first for me)
1997 republic of trinidad and tabago 1 cent piece (also a first)

Rosies:
64d
63d
2 -62's both d
59d
54
49s
Canadians:
65
41
halves:
2-67's and a 68 (got them from $14.50 a bank let me buy, before picking up the bag of dimes)
Not a bad haul considering they told me the machine rejects silver dimes, I guess they don't know their machine very well. 9 total pieces of silver, and two other foreign keepers other than the silver Canadians. I will search bags of dimes over boxes of dimes any day. Funny how the only canadians that go through are the silver ones, I guess the magnet gets all the other ones. Cool with me.
I got 2 boxes of halves waiting for me in the morning, gota go dump these dimes off early.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom