OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robert Dunfield already tried something close to this. Would you care to take a guess at how much treasure he recovered?
Now that is actually a very interesting question. He did leave the island very suddenly. He "may" have found something/treasure, flooded the pit and left as a way of not sharing his find with his partners/ investors.

Not much is said about what become of him after he left...

devils-advocate.jpg

:laughing7:........

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are assuming they knew where they lost it. They very busy long days and it was very difficult keeping track of things let alone a few coins here and there. Dont forget pockets were not very deep. You had coin purses and pouches. How many times have you heard they story of someone losing $50 dollars, only to find it months later in an overcoat?

No, what I'm saying is you'd take better care of $20 to not be letting it fall out of your pocket to begin with... If way back then their coin had a rough value to them as $20 does to us now, you'd be taking better care to not lose it, and there are coins all over that island apparently...

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, what I'm saying is you'd take better care of $20 to not be letting it fall out of your pocket to begin with... If way back then their coin had a rough value to them as $20 does to us now, you'd be taking better care to not lose it, and there are coins all over that island apparently...

Again, that's assuming they found sterling. If they were all pence, then it's just a dollar in our money today. Perhaps you're right and since the poorer folk had limited access to money, they likely weren't the ones who dropped the coins out of their pockets. However, a few landowners losing a few dollars (in our money) here and there seems perfectly logical. It's not like they've found 100's of thousands of lost coins on the island. Even if the total turns out to be 200, it's still something like 2 coins lost every year over a 100 year period. That's certainly not much.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight's episode - I'm sorry since it's not supposed to be comedy, but this hit my funny bone and I was laughing for about 5 minutes:

"A floor? Discovered on the plot of land once owned by Samuel Ball?!!"

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not exactly sure what I'm watching anymore, Curse of Oak Island or Ancient Aliens?! All that's left is for Rick to use a gallon of gel on his hair and make it stand up. At this point I actually miss the days of the team finding railroad spikes in the swamp.

Last edited:

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say I was rather disappointed by last night's episode. To me , it seems they are grasping at any shred of information that may link the Templar's to the island. I believe Id find something first , then reverse engineer it , to see where it came from and who put it there rather than fill everyones heads with countless theories, some plausible , some ludicrous

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just when you think a new episode couldn't have any less content than the previous episode along comes last night's episode...

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say I was rather disappointed by last night's episode. To me , it seems they are grasping at any shred of information that may link the Templar's to the island. I believe Id find something first , then reverse engineer it , to see where it came from and who put it there rather than fill everyones heads with countless theories, some plausible , some ludicrous
Exactly. Any one of us could claim that treasure is buried in our backyards and note that a previous owner was the great great grandchild twice removed from a notable figure. Like you said, find the treasure first and then link it to whomever buried it there. It's like investigating a murder mystery without any evidence of one being committed, or even if someone is missing.

Last edited:

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just when you think a new episode couldn't have any less content than the previous episode along comes last night's episode...
I think the show runners needed last night's episode to justify digging in the swamp again, instead of having Gary find old coins and spoons for the 15th straight episode.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next week's preview worries me: "The oscillator is resting on a flat hard surface". Based on previous patterns, that would normally be the cue to stop investigating that hole, give up, and move on to the swamp or dig the surface of plot 26.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next week's preview worries me: "The oscillator is resting on a flat hard surface". Based on previous patterns, that would normally be the cue to stop investigating that hole, give up, and move on to the swamp or dig the surface of plot 26.

Exactly, especially considering that the chapel vault was supposed to only be approximately 140 ft deep (due to the top of the money pit area being lowered over time), and the oscillator hit something hard at a depth of 170 ft, which likely bedrock.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My worry is that the show runners are spending way too much time this season on trying to prove that there's a link between the Templars and Oak Island. My gut tells me that in the absence of finding any real treasure, the team will find a rock at the bottom of the money pit with a vague resemblance to a Templar cross, and claim they've proven that the Templars were here over 100 years before Columbus. In their minds, this final narrative will be way more interesting to viewers than making an ambiguous link to an 18th century pirate treasure story, especially if no treasure is actually found on the island.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem I have is the same with almost every show like this, theirs only probably 10 days during the whole season that they find something interesting so they fill all the episodes with filler. Although some of its interesting, most of it isn't worth watching. I hate spoiler alerts but at least tell us if they find something worth while by the end of the season, then we could watch to see how they found it which would be much more rewarding rather than watching HOURS of the show to find out all they did was dig another hole. The restrictions that Nova Scotia has put on them is ridiculous. Example, digging to find the sea wall at the swamp and only being able to dig 6 feet deep. REALLY

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it extremely funny when Rick jumped out of his seat and went behind those 2 ladies when one of them was yelling out "leads towards, lead towards". I was thinking what the hell am I watching here! Also, I don't really buy the whole notion that the Templars used their fingernails and teeth to carve out all the inscriptions on the walls. I'm not exactly sure how you can actually dig into stone with your teeth to create a straight edged cross symbol without having your nose and lips getting in the way? Were their teeth made of diamond? My gut tells me that they used the metal plates and spoons given to them for their daily meals while imprisoned. Heck, even using the bones of a dead inmate would make more sense than grinding your teeth against stone.

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem I have is the same with almost every show like this, theirs only probably 10 days during the whole season that they find something interesting so they fill all the episodes with filler. Although some of its interesting, most of it isn't worth watching. I hate spoiler alerts but at least tell us if they find something worth while by the end of the season, then we could watch to see how they found it which would be much more rewarding rather than watching HOURS of the show to find out all they did was dig another hole. The restrictions that Nova Scotia has put on them is ridiculous. Example, digging to find the sea wall at the swamp and only being able to dig 6 feet deep. REALLY

Yes the word "swamp" scares everyone to death and the restrictions placed on it are ridiculous , If some of the photos taken in the 1930's are examined , the "swamp" is nothing but a wetspot "bog" fed by freshwater springs that drained into the bay naturally. It didn't become a swamp until the road way was built along the shore by Blankenship and Dunfield (mostly because Nolan would not let them cross his property to get to the money pit) and the water could not drain anymore , laid there behind the sea wall built to support the roadway embankment and became stagnant, . Fred Nolan's surveyor marker found in the "swamp" underwater last season would not / could not have been placed in the tree roots if it was underwater. Land surveyors operate off of "line of sight" , in other words it was not in the water when the marker (usually a spike with the surveyors number on it) was driven into the tree roots. Trees don't grow underwater

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GAWWY sifted a fleck of "pawtrie" from pre- historic cave dwellers :icon_jokercolor::tard:

marty's son hopes to get a date cause his daddy is a famous treasure finder :laughing9:

rick will NEVER see ANY treasure------ until he opens his freakin' EYES :tongue3:---- annoying tool, and, get a haircut, twit)

now my fingernails hurt----- spent all week making carvings in rock walls :laughing9::icon_biggrin:

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
GAWWY sifted a fleck of "pawtrie" from pre- historic cave dwellers :icon_jokercolor::tard:

marty's son hopes to get a date cause his daddy is a famous treasure finder :laughing9:

rick will NEVER see ANY treasure------ until he opens his freakin' EYES :tongue3:---- annoying tool, and, get a haircut, twit)

now my fingernails hurt----- spent all week making carvings in rock walls :laughing9::icon_biggrin:

You're supposed to use your teeth!

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, I'm definitely getting the feeling that either Rick is a tool used by the show runners to convince the audience that treasure still exists in Oak Island, or is one of the most gullible people in the world. I'm leaning more towards the latter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread