SEASON 8

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
I'll relate to you all a quote given to me directly by an OI production team member a number of years ago.

The context of it was during a discussion about how they were saying one thing on camera then doing the exact opposite.

They had repeated a number of times that they wanted to 'solve the mystery' or 'find the treasure' but then didn't operate on or follow known, factual or viable leads on the show but choose to present and follow false or spurious or in some cases downright invented (by some nutjob) information.

I'm sure by now this exact issue has been running through your heads as you watched them repeatedly follow another cat lady's theory or dig up again something that was already known about or make some wild claim that you knew was disproved by already existing information.

Take heed fellow TreasureNeters of why this was occurring and what is the prime objective driving this production; "WE NEED TO MAINTAIN THE LEGEND".

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So now you just discredited everything ever found on OI by the sounds of things yet ya'll hang around....

Freeman you do know those tunnels were built in 1860's don't you. Doesn't matter when the pic was taken..

Charlie P, Also keep in mind that an explosion under ground unless big enough to create a crater at ground level doesn't necessarily tear up the ground down there but so much. It can but it depends on the amount of charge and ground density downthere.. It's not like you somehow completely churned up the ground below 90' and yet nothing on top of the ground is disturbed.. Example. Drill a hole in your backyard. Say 1' deep. Light the firecracker and drop it in the hole. Virtually nothing below ground was disturbed.. Now if you do that with just a 1'' deep hole you'll get the crater effect at ground level and more ground will be disturbed.. Not saying your completely wrong only that just because they set off a charge doesn't mean the hole area is completely destroyed..

A tree laying on the ground would not still be there 200-300 years later. It will have deteriorated completely. FACT... The main reason the wood lasts underground is lack of oxygen and the saltwater plays a part in it. Just as when they pull up deep sea artifacts they always place them in a water bath of some sort or it will immediately start to deteriorate..

but ya'll already knew all this just right. and you do also realize the treasure if there ever was one might have already been found..So there will never be any proof of it..
If there was a treasure that has already been found, what would ya'll need to agree with it?
A couple of ya'll yesterday finally agreed that not everything historical is written down somewhere so don't say it has to be written in some history book or somewhere...

Yes the show takes great liberty's with what they show and talk about and I too wish every time they find some they wouldn't make all these grand assumptions and treasure this, treasure that, medieval, Templars this that and the other but at the end of the day it is a tv show...

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So now you just discredited everything ever found on OI by the sounds of things yet ya'll hang around....

A tree laying on the ground would not still be there 200-300 years later. It will have deteriorated completely. FACT... The main reason the wood lasts underground is lack of oxygen and the saltwater plays a part in it. Just as when they pull up deep sea artifacts they always place them in a water bath of some sort or it will immediately start to deteriorate..

I did not say the tree would be laying directly on top of the ground. The tree could be 5 feet under ground but dug up by a huge excavator during the backfill process and dumped down into the hole. These are still "surface" items (comparatively speaking) and would not deteriorate because they would not be able to get oxygen.

Surely you can easily imagine a small surface structure or post built by someone hundreds of years ago that got torn down over the years and subsequently buried 5 feet down. And surely you can easily imagine a huge excavator grabbing a huge chunk of soil and debris from that spot and dumping it into that huge crater during the backfill process. And surely you can logically reason that if that happened, digging it back up 50 years later and having it carbon dated would not imply that it was originally 100 feet down in that hole (because it wasn't). Correct?

Last edited:

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I did not say the tree would be laying directly on top of the ground. The tree could be 5 feet under ground but dug up by a huge excavator during the backfill process and dumped down into the hole. These are still "surface" items (comparatively speaking) and would not deteriorate because they would not be able to get oxygen.

Surely you can easily imagine a small surface structure or post built by someone hundreds of years ago that got torn down over the years and subsequently buried 5 feet down. And surely you can easily imagine a huge excavator grabbing a huge chunk of soil and debris from that spot and dumping it into that huge crater during the backfill process. And surely you can logically reason that if that happened, digging it back up 50 years later and having it carbon dated would not imply that it was originally 100 feet down in that hole (because it wasn't). Correct?
Probably not....he is here only to argue

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See you still don't get what I'm trying to get across. Just speak in truths is all I'm after, and here is my reasoning for calling ya'll out on stuff. If some new person wondered in here and read some of ya'lls posts saying
There never was a Money Pit dug. ever.
The 3 were drunks and made up the story for why they were out late
They took a boat to go around the island to see what was happening on the other said ( yet lived on the island which would take 20 minutes to walk end to end)
The swamp was created when they put the road around the island in the '60's
There never were tunnels dug in the MP area
Trees laying around for 200-300 years were back filled into the MP area
The MP has been dug 150' wide down to 100' full width all the way down

just to name a few things that are completely false..
If you "think" something "might" have happened say it that way is all I'm after. Don't say it as if you have inside info and are all knowing of everything that has ever happened on the island as your not... I'm not either and never have said I was... I'm not arguing, it comes across that way to you as I'm calling you and others out on their posts and you don't like it. I understand completely..

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
See you still don't get what I'm trying to get across. Just speak in truths is all I'm after, and here is my reasoning for calling ya'll out on stuff. If some new person wondered in here and read some of ya'lls posts saying
There never was a Money Pit dug. ever.
The 3 were drunks and made up the story for why they were out late
They took a boat to go around the island to see what was happening on the other said ( yet lived on the island which would take 20 minutes to walk end to end)
The swamp was created when they put the road around the island in the '60's
There never were tunnels dug in the MP area
The MP has been dug 150' wide down to 100' full width all the way down

If you "think" something "might" have happened say it that way is all I'm after. Don't say it as if you have inside info and are all knowing of everything that has ever happened on the island as your not... I'm not either and never have said I was... I'm not arguing, it comes across that way to you as I'm calling you and others out on their posts and you don't like it. I understand completely..
Again, you are grouping many individuals statements into one position as if it were presented as a consolidated position.
take issue with the statement and the person who posted it and knock off the group BS.

Last edited:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

At no point did I say that it was a FACT that trees laying around the surface where dumped back into the pit. I said it could be a possibility and potentially likely that such a thing occurred (which is 100% true). Which means that anything dug up and carbon dated from the pit cannot be assumed to have originally been from the pit. Therefore, any "evidence" you present in the form of carbon dating is not only suspect, it is virtually unusable as proof of what was originally 100 feet down in the ground. And you have not conceded this point. Instead, you have tried to do an end around run and discredit it by twisting what has been said.

So you are being very disingenuous which speaks volumes about what you are actually trying to do. You are playing "word salad" games which shows just how desperate you are to try and hold onto your position.

Can you at least admit that any "evidence" that is based on carbon dating of items dug out of the pit today is potentially tainted due to previous excavation and backfill operations? If you can at least admit that then talks can move forward. If you can't admit that then it is clear that your intention is not to have an intelligent and logical conversation but rather to hold onto preconceived notions for the sake of your ego.

I will start a new thread so that we can concentrate on this one point of contention and not get sidetracked with what other people may or may not have posted.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If you "think" something "might" have happened say it that way is all I'm after.
Don't say it as if you have inside info and are all knowing of everything that has ever happened on the island as your not...
I'm calling you and others out on their posts and you don't like it. I understand completely..
You must be referencing Franklin for all his "inside info" posts.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, you are grouping many individuals statements into one position as if it were presented as a consolidated position.
take issue with the statement and the person who posted it and knock of the groups BS.

but you can atleast see what I'm getting at.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
but you can atleast see what I'm getting at.
Yes, you have your entire rant on the word of those three that there was a hole/pit on Oak Island.
There is NO collaboration outside of the three that there was a hole/pit on Oak Island.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you believe as Singlestack does that no one ever dug a hole that later became known as the Money Pit. I thought we were past this. Even singlestack has clarified a couple of times that he means no money pit hole dug that has treasure in it. Even though he does leave that last part out most of the time.. Even Charlie P believes they did dig a hole for all the wrong reasons but they did dig it.( Atleast I think that is where he stands on that )

Other companies came in behind the original 3 to continue the dig. Without the original 3 digging a hole we would be here talking about it. The Truro Company and the Halifax group would not have gone on to continue the dig..Some of the original 3 were parts of these groups...
Let me just ask it here and now. WHO ELSE BELIEVES THERE WAS NEVER A HOLE DUG ON OAK ISLAND say before 1900.. Regardless of what is or isn't in there or been back filled in there, or buried there before there was even a hole dug...

Last edited:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you believe as Singlestack does that no one ever dug a hole that later became known as the Money Pit. I thought we were past this. Even singlestack has clarified a couple of times that he means no money pit hole dug that has treasure in it. Even though he does leave that last part out most of the time.. Even Charlie P believes they did dig a hole for all the wrong reasons but they did dig it.( Atleast I think that is where he stands on that )

Other companies came in behind the original 3 to continue the dig. Without the original 3 digging a hole we would be here talking about it. The Truro Company and the Halifax group would not have gone on to continue the dig..Some of the original 3 were parts of these groups...
Let me just ask it here and now. WHO ELSE BELIEVES THERE WAS NEVER A HOLE DUG ON OAK ISLAND say before 1900.. Regardless of what is or isn't in there or been back filled in there, or buried there before there was even a hole dug...

Let me try to clarify my position.... I do not believe there was a deep hole (over 50 feet) dug on Oak Island at any point in history for the purpose of depositing treasure.

There have been deep and shallow holes dug on the island for many other purposes. I do not believe that any evidence presented so far would lead anyone to believe that there was ever a treasure buried deep on Oak Island.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sensible, MTS.

As I recall there are 32 property "lots" on Oak Island and very likely the folks who lived there dug wells, root cellars, various privy holes, likely had dumps that were covered just to reduce smell and filth, not sure if there was a ever a cemetery on the island. Holes get dug for a lot of reasons.

I believe troops spent time on the island or vicinity in the F&I War. Need a good privy and well for a group of men. In 1753 the island is first mentioned in deeds as being owned by Richard Smith and John Gifford (fish merchants).

by 1791 four farmers (households? - census of the time only included adult males) resided on Oak Island

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You keep talking to me though ECS and you didn't bother to answer my questions above like mts did.

Thank you for that by the way. So now do you believe the original 3 dug the hole to begin with? regardless of how deep, for what reasons etc. Just did they dig a hole.. or do you believe as ECS does that NO they did NOT dig a hole at all ever... If not what enticed the others to come in behind them and continue on the search? If this was all a hoax how did it get started if the original 3 did not start it?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You keep talking to me though ECS and you didn't bother to answer my questions above like mts did.

Thank you for that by the way. So now do you believe the original 3 dug the hole to begin with? regardless of how deep, for what reasons etc. Just did they dig a hole.. or do you believe as ECS does that NO they did NOT dig a hole at all ever... If not what enticed the others to come in behind them and continue on the search? If this was all a hoax how did it get started if the original 3 did not start it?

No. ECS types to you on his own. I have no mind control powers over others.

Re: the hole? Got no idea. The "original three" aren't even consistent for who they were. One version is "kids", but another is McGinnis of age 38 and Samuel Ball (who would have been 30 or 31 years old) or John Smith (19) depending on version plus Anthony Vaughn, Jr.. But that "legend" doesn't appear in writing until 1862 - and there had been MANY groups digging on the Island in that time. So, no, I do not believe the legend of the "three kids" being the first, or even factual diggers. Sure, have heard it. I have heard accounts of UFOs but do not believe we're being visited by Alien spacecraft. But acknowledge it is possible. There is another version of OI where the kids went to the island because of a prior "local legend" that two men had seen lights on the island and they went to investigate and never were heard from again.

So, I cannot say I believe the first "dig" was "three kids". Again, versions have the spot as a cleared patch of ground while others say a depression.

The Onslow Company did the first work, supposedly, in 1804 but there is no record of that, either. That's based on something the Truro Company stated in 1848 when looking for investors. So, I have no idea who really broke the first soil. Someone did. Who really knows when?

Good timeline available here:

https://www.oakislandtours.ca/

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Thank you for that by the way. So now do you believe the original 3 dug the hole to begin with? regardless of how deep, for what reasons etc.
Just did they dig a hole.. or do you believe as ECS does that NO they did NOT dig a hole at all ever...
If not what enticed the others to come in behind them and continue on the search?
If this was all a hoax how did it get started if the original 3 did not start it?
n2mini, my friend, you really need to work on your comprehension skills.
I never stated one way or the other concerning the three digging a hole.
What I stated is that the entire legend is based on the three lads claim that there was a hole...
AND, there is NO outside collaboration concerning the existence of said hole just the oft repeated tale of those three.
Savvy?
'Nuff Said!

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what you said as well..

Yes, you have your entire rant on the word of those three that there was a hole/pit on Oak Island.
There is NO collaboration outside of the three that there was a hole/pit on Oak Island.

Sure sounds like you don't believe the original 3 dug a hole... so what is it. It's a yes or no question really it is... YES they did dig a hole, or NO they did not. I'm just trying to get everyone to actually say what they believe in and not be playing their posts on somewhat both sides of said story as it fits their narrative at the moment for the point they are trying to get across..

SOME, of ya'll keep flip flopping on that part.

Your sounding like you don't believe they ever dug a hole but you won't actually say that.

Singlestack flat out says it but at times changes it to yes they dug a hole but it had no money in it.

Charlie P at one point said they dug a hole based on an impression in the ground, and never found anything, but now has some what changed it to maybe they didn't ever dig a hole an another company were the first to dig on the island.. and no reasoning as to why they started digging in the first place but he believes it and has owned that. atleast at the moment. Nothing to back up that theory other then he says it came from another company that did dig on the island some years later...

and yes before you ask, I do believe the original 3 dug a hole.. it may or may not have ever had treasure in it..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread