What's new

Seated Half and a Cool Buckle

winslow

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2004
Messages
448
Reaction score
1,644
Golden Thread
2
Location
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 900
I went back to where I found a seated quarter and a 1826 shilling from yesterday and pounded the site for about 3 hours. Came up with a half dollar really deep. Sounded marginally good at first and didn't give me a digital reading. Sounded better after the first scoop of dirt was removed. Love it when that happens!

The brass buckle looks cool. Haven't run across this shape before. It's been a good two days of detecting. I'll have to keep at it!
 

Attachments

  • caprice seated 1861 in grnd 12-15.webp
    caprice seated 1861 in grnd 12-15.webp
    714.7 KB · Views: 165
  • caprice seated front.webp
    caprice seated front.webp
    214.5 KB · Views: 161
  • caprice seated 1861S rev.webp
    caprice seated 1861S rev.webp
    175.4 KB · Views: 157
  • caprice buckle.webp
    caprice buckle.webp
    52.6 KB · Views: 155
Upvote 30
Very exciting finds ! I don't pretend to be an expert on Seated Half variations , but the S mint mark looks like it's nearly touching the olive
branch - is that a normal positioning ? I would expect to see some space between them (any numismatists out there ?) Great finds !
 
Outstanding Half. I'm still looking for my first Seated Half.
 
VERY INTERESTING BUCKLE NICE .....
 
Wow great half!
 
Hi Winslow, your cast brass wreath dates from 1845-1850 and is typically found in gold rush camps of pre 1860 vintage. The associated tongue is known as the rectangular war eagle. It can be found on page 37 of the book, Gold Rush Buckles and the Men That Wore Them, by Max Bell.
 
Dang on, keep going back. I hope to get back out soon, Congrats Again...
 
Very nice seated. What town in Oregon do u live in?
 
Awesome save. I have dug 9nhalves, 7 clad, 1 40% Kennedy and a Franklin. I'd sure like to dig one of those to add to my meager collection.

1861.webp
 
Nice silver and that's a cool looking buckle also, great day of digging with the two keepers.
 
sweet half. congrats!
 
A while back you posted this pic of a bent rectangular buckle piece and a seated half. That eagle tongue you just found goes to that bent rectangular wreath. that's some very good luck to find the match. buckle dates 1845-50
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom