See What The Left Behind - Carved Bullet?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
See What They Left Behind - Carved Bullet?

Well, the corn is finally being cut here in the Shenandoah Valley, so I was invited by a friend to go to a Civil War battlefield site (private property, of course) yesterday for what amounted to a scouting trip. We both knew this site has been pounded since the 1960's. Nonetheless, in just meandering through the 60+ acre site for 2.5 hours yesterday, it appears those that went before us have missed a few items. My friend, who is a newbie and was using a Garrett AT Pro for the very first time, found the complete nose end of an artillery shell. I found the items below: A shell fragment (within 30 seconds of firing up my T2), the center male threaded part of a Schenkel shell fuse and what I first thought might be a carved bullet. But that lead piece has what looks like it might have been some kind of a seal around the base. It's fibrous and seems to have some elasticity, but I don't believe its rubber. Any ideas on that item?

Lesson we all learn: pounded sites still have history hiding beneath our feet. We'll be going back soon.

Attachments

• 11-8-13_finds.JPG
    11-8-13_finds.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 149
  • mystery_lead.JPG
    mystery_lead.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Richard. I believe the lead or pewter relic may have been an improvised finial to a cap or cartridge box and the black piece is leather. As I have stated many times, I'm not a CW relic expert. Did it read like lead or pewter? WTG, Q.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Richard. I believe the lead or pewter relic may have been an improvised finial to a cap or cartridge box and the black piece is leather. As I have stated many times, I'm not a CW relic expert. Did it read like lead or pewter? WTG, Q.

Hey Quindy - I knew the "carved bullet"headline would get your response. :laughing7: I can't say with any certainty, but I believe it rang more like a bullet (lead) and the patina is very similar to what a bullet would be. Thanks for the idea - could certainly be what you're describing. Thanks for chiming in!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was thinking finial too.That Schenkel shell fuse top is nice,good color too.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was thinking finial too.That Schenkel shell fuse top is nice,good color too.

Thanks. Yes, beautiful patina and in great shape. I'll be looking for the rest of it when I get back.

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug that same style finial in confederate camps here in Richmond. Though I've never seen them with the leather. Very nice find

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have dug that same style finial in confederate camps here in Richmond. Though I've never seen them with the leather. Very nice find

Thanks!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sent a pic to Larry Hicklen (veteran Tennessee relic hunter and owner of Middle Tennessee Civil War Relics in Murfeesboro. He verified your relic stating "It's a Confederate lead cartridge box finial likely carved from a bullet." A very nice relic Richard and having a Confederate ancestor makes it even sweeter for you. HH, Q.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sent a pic to Larry Hicklen (veteran Tennessee relic hunter and owner of Middle Tennessee Civil War Relics in Murfeesboro. He verified your relic stating "It's a Confederate lead cartridge box finial likely carved from a bullet." A very nice relic Richard and having a Confederate ancestor makes it even sweeter for you. HH, Q.

Thanks Quindy! I appreciate that. The leather seems to be getting more brittle, fragile as it dries out. Anything I can/should do to preserve it? BTW, I also found a shell casing with "US" stamped on the bottom, center. Ever seen anything like that?

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Quindy! I appreciate that. The leather seems to be getting more brittle, fragile as it dries out. Anything I can/should do to preserve it? BTW, I also found a shell casing with "US" stamped on the bottom, center. Ever seen anything like that?

Nice dig on the finial, wonder if a mink oil( or some other leather oil ) would help keep it?

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

No, but I'll email Cannonball guy. He IS an expert on artillery. He'll give you info. HH, Q.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I learn something new here on Tnet all the time.
Great CW find Richard. :hello2:

Awesome job on the ID Quindy. :occasion14:

-MM-

Thanks MM - yeah, me too. It's amazing how often I Google for a relic ID and get directed right to TNet!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice dig on the finial, wonder if a mink oil( or some other leather oil ) would help keep it?

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got an email from VOL1288-X asking me to comment on the bullet cartridge-casing with "US" stamped on its flat bottom. That is the casing "headstamp" of the United States Cartridge Company, of Lowell Massachusetts, which was in business from 1869 to 1926. If your casing's US-mark is written in raised lettering, it dates from 1885 to 1908. (Prior to 1885, USCCo's casings had no headstamp.) An indented-lettering "US" casing headstamp dates from 1908 to 1927.

If you can provide digital caliper measurements of the length and diameter of the casing (not its wider base), and post some closeup photos of it, I might be able to tell you what specific type of casing it is.

By the way... the size of your lead finial in comparison with the Schenkl Percussion fuze's anvil-cap shows it is definitely a Confederate-made percussion capbox finial, not a cartridge-box finial (which is larger). The vast majority were cast in a mold, rather than carved out of a bullet.

Last edited:

VaMark

Jun 3, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, XP Deus, AT Pro, Silver U-Maxx, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Finds Richard. I like the carved bullet/finial. I have been waiting on the corn cutting as well, seems like the wet weather earlier changed the harvest times a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Finds Richard. I like the carved bullet/finial. I have been waiting on the corn cutting as well, seems like the wet weather earlier changed the harvest times a bit.

Yes, it really did Mark. Hope you have a successful season. Still lookin' to get together with you some time to hunt that road bed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread