TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spoke with Kelly Co. Friday on the phone and was informed even though they don't sell the detectors any longer they will be carrying the SEF coils for them since there has been an overwhelming desire for them for Tesoro detectors. Tesoro my be able to stop Kelly Co for selling there detectors for some kind of breach of contract but they can't stop them for selling aftermarket parts. The coils are coming shortly and I now have two on order for when they come in. Kelly Co in currently working on the price point and will come in 10x12 and 12 x 15 to start off with since they are the most popular. Can't wait to attach one to my detector. :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

this ought to be interesting?

i had the exact same prob on my golden when i ran that coil

GibH said:
I saw a umax SEF on ebay. I'd have to know for sure if it worked better than Tesoro 12x10 before I shelled out $191 for it though. The Tesoro 12x10 just doesn't work all that great on my Golden. No increase in depth plus it throws the tones off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TESORO-METAL-DE...873?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33622a9ca1

The Golden was calibrated for the stock coil exactly. When you change coils you are changing the way it operates. Like installing different rated tires on a vehicle. Wish it could be perfect, but its not.

I had the same problem with the 10 by 12 on my Golden uMax. So I checked the ground balance and it's way negative. I don't know for sure, but I think the SEF coils will work best on a Tesoro uMax model with manual ground balance.Larox

I have a ground balance mod on my Golden, the 12x10 just doesn't work on it worth a crap. I can see why the tones might be thrown off, but it ought to at least get a little bit more depth. It does not. It may be a great coil on other models, but I wouldn't recommend it for the Golden based on my experience.

I will venture a guess that any problems with the SEF coils on Tesoros being sent back for repairs or retuning/whatever will cause enough of a similar situation with those having problems to allow Tesoro plenty leeway to consider the likely use of the SEF coil and void those warrantees, and either charging for repairs or simply refusing to repair them.. They would have every right to do so without their agreement of SEF coil use and any one to complain or lie to Tesoro about their using the SEF coil would surely be broadcasting to their friends and hunting buddies just what kind of person they really are. Such dealings make light of, and show disregard for all the years and hard work Tesoro have put forth to protect their product and YOU, their customers and that Lifetime Warrantee and good service we all enjoy . Have at if you wish, but you can be sure it will be a no win situation for a SEF Tesoro hookup without some sort of OK for KellyCo. to do so. Do not look for that! Just buy yourself some other machine and SEF coil from Kellyco, and you will come out much better off , and save yourself and the rest of us some grief. HH Cass

Got my two SEF's for the Tejon's frequency. I am no stranger to Tesoro and SEF products. Both the coils performed very very well and was way deeper than the stocks. Granted I have not had the opportunity to take them on a real hunt, but in the test garden the changes in sensitivity was really great especially on the tiny dime to quarter size stuff and bullets. A more detailed report to come with a hunt at a CW battle field soon.

Cass said:
I will venture a guess that any problems with the SEF coils on Tesoros being sent back for repairs or retuning/whatever will cause enough of a similar situation with those having problems to allow Tesoro plenty leeway to consider the likely use of the SEF coil and void those warrantees, and either charging for repairs or simply refusing to repair them.. They would have every right to do so without their agreement of SEF coil use and any one to complain or lie to Tesoro about their using the SEF coil would surely be broadcasting to their friends and hunting buddies just what kind of person they really are. Such dealings make light of, and show disregard for all the years and hard work Tesoro have put forth to protect their product and YOU, their customers and that Lifetime Warrantee and good service we all enjoy . Have at if you wish, but you can be sure it will be a no win situation for a SEF Tesoro hookup without some sort of OK for KellyCo. to do so. Do not look for that! Just buy yourself some other machine and SEF coil from Kellyco, and you will come out much better off , and save yourself and the rest of us some grief. HH Cass

I have to disagree with you here. Simply using the SEF coil isn't going to harm the detector and you couldn't send it in to get retuned for the coil without sending the coil with it. Tesoro would be well within their rights to either refuse or charge for that service.

Buying "some other machine" and SEF coil isn't going to be any different. Nobody is offering a warranty that applies to another manufacturers products. Good luck getting Minelab, Garrett or Whites to make sure your Sunray probe or coil works on theirs if the stock detector is working to specs.

Gib, I hope not to sound so hard nosed on the subject of the SEF's and Tesoros and I do truly hope there will be no problems come from the match up. My comments were made toward the event that things turned out not so rosey as we would hope them to and that problems or dissatisfactions amongst either users or the machines themselves did occure. This, combined with an already understandable (factual) complaint Tesoro had in the past dealing with Kellyco would make for nothing less than the same kind of name/smearing/slander/whatever that Tesoro was subjected to before because of Kelleyco's not adhearing to their business agreement with Tesoro. That is the way it was as best that I have heard it explaned. Anyhow, I do hope that all goes well for all hands involved, and there is one fact to consider about non Tesoros and SEF coils. Kellyco does sell those other machines, but it does not sell Tesoros. Somewhere thereabouts there should be, though maybe not, some product responsibility toward Kellyco and those other detector Co's. Certainly none can be expected of Tesoro, though as before, if things don't go so "rosey" then Tesoro will once again be taking blame where none is due.That is the way it works, and is history. That will be most undeserving, and the very thing Tesoro has tried to avoid for themselves and those of us who enjoy their machines and service. Hope for the best and then put some Prayers in as backup! HH Cass

Tim, sent you a PM.

Bill

Cass said:
Gib, I hope not to sound so hard nosed on the subject of the SEF's and Tesoros and I do truly hope there will be no problems come from the match up. My comments were made toward the event that things turned out not so rosey as we would hope them to and that problems or dissatisfactions amongst either users or the machines themselves did occure. This, combined with an already understandable (factual) complaint Tesoro had in the past dealing with Kellyco would make for nothing less than the same kind of name/smearing/slander/whatever that Tesoro was subjected to before because of Kelleyco's not adhearing to their business agreement with Tesoro. That is the way it was as best that I have heard it explaned. Anyhow, I do hope that all goes well for all hands involved, and there is one fact to consider about non Tesoros and SEF coils. Kellyco does sell those other machines, but it does not sell Tesoros. Somewhere thereabouts there should be, though maybe not, some product responsibility toward Kellyco and those other detector Co's. Certainly none can be expected of Tesoro, though as before, if things don't go so "rosey" then Tesoro will once again be taking blame where none is due.That is the way it works, and is history. That will be most undeserving, and the very thing Tesoro has tried to avoid for themselves and those of us who enjoy their machines and service. Hope for the best and then put some Prayers in as backup! HH Cass
I got nothing to add to that statement,..A very true statement..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back